Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Picky Dog

raw feeding first timer picky dog allergies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

RexThePibble

RexThePibble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I really want to start feeding my dog raw, my only worry is that he is a little picky and I'm afraid he won't eat the food once I buy it. Also, he has allergies and has been eating a salmon based kibble for a few years now, chicken and other fowl make him break out and give him inflamed paws. If someone could offer advice, maybe their best practices with their picky dog, how you decided what to feed, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. And in reading the step by step I see it is best to start with chicken but based on his allergies can anyone recommend what I would do, if I could still start with chicken because raw is better than processed?
Thanks so much! I know this is a lot!
  • CurtisDaw and Bellipn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! For some dogs, it takes them a little time to figure out that raw is food, and what to do with it. But most quickly catch on.

Yes, start with chicken. Raw chicken is different from cooked. So if you had problems on kibble, you may not with raw. In fact, a lot of times the allergy problems in kibble aren't even actually the protein at all, but one, or more of all the added artificial ingredients. 

• Bellipn likes this

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I have a Lab mix who also had a lot of allergies while on kibble.  It took years of red paws, itchy ears and hot spots to find a kibble that he could handle (sure wish I'd known about raw then).  He could only eat a grain-free, salmon-based kibble.  He's been fed raw for over a year now with no hot spots or red paws.  His ears and back still itch occasionally, if I feed him too much chicken.  The majority of his diet is chicken, turkey, duck and beef with other proteins added for variety.

You could start with chicken.  It ended up giving me a lot of anxiety during the first month or two though, questioning whether he was having a reaction to the chicken or just detoxing, which is normal in the beginning.  Just keep that in mind.  I have two other dogs, which helped to compare his detox to theirs.  It's good for your dog to learn a taste for chicken early, if you think he may be picky.  Otherwise, he may not want to even try it after he tastes beef/lamb/etc and with meat prices, you want to be able to feed chicken if he can have it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw feeding, first timer, picky dog, allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO