Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Chicken Necks Just As Treats?

raw feeding chicken necks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Gemma2015

Gemma2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I am new to raw feeding.  I am getting a puppy on June 27th.  The breeder is feeding raw and I plan to continue the raw diet.  I had asked on another raw feeding site about reasonable prices for chicken necks.  This is the response I got:

Chicken necks are fine as a treat, but I would not recommend using them as a regular meal item due to the potential for thyroid issues from the glandular tissue still attached.
They also have a lot of cartilage contend in the "bone".

From the research I've done, I thought necks were a great choice for puppies.  Now I'm confused.

Please share your thoughts and experience with feeding chicken necks.  Thank you!!

• Furypn, Bellipn, yesmanfdp and 1 other like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Necks are great for treats, and a good source of bone. I have had plenty of puppies who have had chicken necks. You just don't want to give them to dogs who are gulpers, since you risk choking.If the dog is small, they are great meal as well. Frozen, they would make great teething treats for puppies too. I don't know where some people get their information. 

• Spy Car and Natavaea like this

Gemma2015

Gemma2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Thanks!  I went ahead and got some backs and feet as well.  I will just make sure I keep a close eye on her while she's eating.  This is all so new to me.  I don't even have the pup yet and I'm worried about what I'm feeding her!   :)

• naturalfeddogs and Natavaea like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Don't worry, you will be fine. Bone in chicken is where you start. Being a puppy, freezing some of them makes the teeth feel good, and makes it almost seem like a treat. Once she gets a little older and is handling raw fine, maybe a couple weeks in you can give frozen pig ears as well. Great, long lasting chews.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Ha! Wait until you feed a chicken foot and your pup crunches on it just right! Even 4 years in, seeing the toes curl when a dog bites the foot just right still kind of gives me the heebie jeebies. 

I don't personally feed necks since my smallest dog is 60 lbs, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed them if I had a small dog. Bonus: They are typically very cheap! We have to go bigger with the big tom turkey necks.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

So, I just ordered 2.5lbs of chicken necks (I have a 6lb dog, even though he thinks he's 60lbs) But the potential for "thyroid problems" Should I be concerned 'cos I'm starting to worry, then.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
Chicken necks are fine for smaller dogs, and larger ones as snacks if they chew them well, and not gulp. The worry is just that they too small for larger dogs that may gulp, and get choked. Your's should be fine. Why are you worried about thyroid problems? Unless I missed something?

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

^ Thanks! I mention thyroid problems because OP mentioned it and I just started to have my weird concerns lol.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
Not to worry!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw feeding, chicken necks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO