Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Beef Heart - How To?

help beef heart

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
i have a question about cutting up beef heart and feeding it. I just got a 60lb box of frozen beef hearts. I have no idea if I am suppose to feed him the fat, membranes, etc. or not. My pup is 5 months and has been eating sirloin but I've never fed beef heart. Do I need to go slow like you do when feeding a new muscle meat?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Beef heart if very nutritionally rich, so yes, go very slowly in the beginning. It is much richer than sirloin.You can feed the fat, and if you want to trim some you can and save it for later if you feed a lean meat like deer. Any valves that are attached you can feed as well. 

• sjb1464 likes this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
When we started feeding hearts we started by adding it to their boney meal, then gradually added more and more. Now they can eat heart as a stand alone meal or mixed in. We do feed the whole thing fat and all. My boys love it more than any other meat they get.
  • sjb1464 likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I feed it all. Never had issues with heart being too rich. I prefer to balance meals so I always serve meats like heart with a RMB (such as a chicken drumstick).

I breakdown heart into "portions," which for me are roughly what will fit inside a "snack sized" plastic zip bag. The individual bags are then packed in larger bags (quarts or half gallons) labeled and frozen. Then I assemble meals for the various assortments of meats, organs, RMBs, connective tissues, tripe, offal & odd bits, and fish I have on hand with an eye towards making the day to day meals diverse, but balanced.

While the main goal is to balance meals over time, I prefer to also attempt to balance individual meals to keep digestion as regular as possible.

If your dogs has never eaten heart before (but enjoys beef) I'd give a moderate amount with an RMB to balance it out. An all heart meal could lead to loose stools.

Bill

• sjb1464 likes this

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Thank you all very much! I have been giving him more liver finally on a daily basis and will start adding beef kidney back in as well. Is the beef heart as rich as those two? Just wondering how much to start with. He easily eats 1.5 lbs 2x a day which always includes RMB's, a little liver (1-2 oz), either some gizzards or sirloin. About to incorporate a little kidney now.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I would start with a small bite size, and something with bone. Then slowly add more heart as all goes well.  Me personally, and this is just me, but I never combine heart and liver together in one meal. It always has ended in cannon butt. So now, It's one or the other with something bone. One one day, the other next. 

• sjb1464 likes this

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Thank you! I'll give it a shot! It took me a while to cut up 60lb of it. Lots of fat in there!
  • Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thank you all very much! I have been giving him more liver finally on a daily basis and will start adding beef kidney back in as well. Is the beef heart as rich as those two? Just wondering how much to start with. He easily eats 1.5 lbs 2x a day which always includes RMB's, a little liver (1-2 oz), either some gizzards or sirloin. About to incorporate a little kidney now.

Since beef heart is a staple at my house, and I feed liver every-other day (and another organ the off days), my dog has probably had a hundred meals with heart and liver in the last year, and another hundred with heart and kidney, sweetbreads, melts, or other organs. Never had an issue. Always serve with an RMB for bone.

Heart is awesome. Good job!

Bill

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I would go slow. Slow and steady is ALWAYS best when it comes to introducing new things since each dog is different. I have one that can have something new and rich thrown at him all at once, but it seems like most are not like that. He's the only one of my three raw fed dogs that can do that. 

I think feeding heart and liver depends on the dog. With my Old Man Collie, I could never have even THOUGHT about feeding both in one day. He had a sensitive stomach all his life so he needed some bone every day or he ended up with cannon butt. Buck, on the other hand, is the one we call Iron Gut. He once ate a tennis ball and, in an attempt to help prevent a blockage, we fed boneless for about 6 weeks and it was mostly heart. He had nice, solid poops up until week 6. Our youngest is the one that I do think more about what he's eating that day before I toss liver in there too. If he's eating something boneless that he doesn't get very often I'll hold off on the liver for another day, but if it's something with bone or something he has no issues eating multiple days in a row, I won't hesitate to toss liver in there. I think I would hold off on feeding them on the same day until later though since you're still introducing it all. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

I have yet another important question.  Beef heart is very high in phosphorus which I have been told is not good at all.   There is so much conflicting info that I am getting more confused as time goes on.  My pup is approx. 90 lbs and will be around 140 once grown (he is 6 months now).

This is a normal meal "right now" for him:  a large chicken quarter, 4-6 oz beef heart, 1/2 oz liver, 1/2 oz kidney.  I say right now because that is what I have in my freezer.  I also have a lot of turkey necks.

So, my question is this.  Do I really need to be concerned about all the phosphorus in his diet since beef heart is high (as well as all beef)?  Thank you in advance.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

As long as you are giving bone as well to sort of balance the calcium phosphorus ratio, it should be fine. In fact, I haven't heard anything about that. I know people who feed mainly heart as the main meat all the time. I really wouldn't worry about it. 

• sjb1464 likes this

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Thank you! That's what I get for being on one of thos FB raw feeding pages. I did look it up and beef heart is really high on phosphorus. But he gets RMB every meal anyway! What a relief! Lol

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

It is high in phosphprus, but I just haven't heard of it being an issue. 

• sjb1464 likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

My dog never "transitioned" into raw. I fed whatever and he ate it (though he went through a phase where he didn't like liver. He loves it again now). Depending on the size of the heart, I cut it into maybe three or four big pieces so its the size of a meal.

I was told the heart is a muscle, not organ. Only "soft, squishy" things like liver and kidneys were "rich" organs.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

My dog never "transitioned" into raw. I fed whatever and he ate it (though he went through a phase where he didn't like liver. He loves it again now). Depending on the size of the heart, I cut it into maybe three or four big pieces so its the size of a meal.

I was told the heart is a muscle, not organ. Only "soft, squishy" things like liver and kidneys were "rich" organs.

Yes, heart is a muscle not organ. 

• sjb1464 likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

To clarify for (what I suspect are many curious people who come across these thread via Google searches) hearts are an "organ" in the physiological sense of the word.

But in calculating the PMR percentages 80 (meat)/10 (bone)/10 "Organs" (half liver/half "other) heart is treated as meat, not as an "organ." More specifically, PRM limits organs to "secreting organs," so things like liver, kidney, pancreas, thymus glands, testicles, amd spleen are counted as "organs."

While hearts, lungs, and stomach are "organs" in the anatomical sense, they don't count towards organs in the PMR sense. These count towards "meat" in PRM.

Clear as mud?  :sword:

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO