Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Wild Boar Meat, How Long To Freeze Before Feeding?

boar hog pork wild hunters

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

RoodHaus

RoodHaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have someone giving me some wild boar meat and I need to know how long to freeze it before it's safe to feed it. The same gentleman has also offered to shoot us a wild boar and give it to us whole if they need to thin the population on their vacation property.

Beth

• CurtisDaw likes this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
It is not safe to feed wild boar to the dogs. There is a parasite that they can have that does not die during freezing. I am not sure the name or why it doesn't as I am relatively new to all this, I just know that is one of the important points to remember. It would be nice if you could though, especially since you would have a good meat source with this gentleman.!
  • Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Lovemyboys88 is correct. Freezing does not effectively eliminate the risk of Trichinosis because the roundworm that cause this disease can survive freeing. It is not worth the risk of feeding wild boar raw.

If it were me (and I had sufficient freezer space), I'd serve the dog (boneless) portions well-cooked as a small part of the diet (in addition to mostly raw foods). And eat some myself.

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Freezing won't help. Regardless, the parasite would be fatal if eaten by dogs raw. I had an offer for a lot of it last year, but called our state vet first and he confirmed it. (he is a semi raw feeder himself. shock!) However, he did also say you can have the meat tested to see if carries the bacteria. But I couldn't tell you the cost, or if it is even worth it.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I would take it for myself, but I am another who won't feed it to my dogs. When it comes to my boys, I can be a little over the top paranoid, but I don't think even having the meat tested would be enough to convince me to feed it. I would test it and then cook it for humans though. 

Having that much wild pork for myself and the husband would be fabulous! Ground pork tacos, shredded pork tacos, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, roast pork, pork kebabs with pineapple and peppers, mmmm!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I would take it for myself, but I am another who won't feed it to my dogs. When it comes to my boys, I can be a little over the top paranoid, but I don't think even having the meat tested would be enough to convince me to feed it. I would test it and then cook it for humans though. 

Having that much wild pork for myself and the husband would be fabulous! Ground pork tacos, shredded pork tacos, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, roast pork, pork kebabs with pineapple and peppers, mmmm!

So when are Wayne, Kirby and I coming over for dinner? lol! :bbq:

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Dont forget breakfast burrotos!! Nomnomnom!!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Oh, breakfast burritos, yes!

NFD, in the event someone actually DOES hand me over a whole boar, you will be the first invited!

RoodHaus

RoodHaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So it's okay once it's cooked? I don't know that I'll eat it, but I'm sure I can find someone who will.

Beth

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I wouldn't feed it to your dogs, but I would take them up on their offer. Even though wild boars are pretty much just giant vermin in most areas, I hate to think of something like that going to waste, you know? Is there a reason you wouldn't eat it? The few times I've had it it's been delicious and I know quite a few people who enjoy it. Of course, I don't know you so you could be vegetarian and may have very obvious reasons for not wanting it.

And then, I suppose, there's the issue of not having enough room for all that meat. I know I don't right now. That's an awful lot. I would still take what I could get though. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Cooked it's fine, but if you aren't going to eat it, you could give it to someone who needs food in your area, or a food bank or something. Cooking it to give the dogs defeats the purpose, and removes all the nutrition considering how much it would have to be cooked. Even then, I still wouldn't chance it. Giving it away is probably the best bet if you aren't going to eat it yourself.

• Iorveth likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boar, hog, pork, wild, hunters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO