Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

When Did You Fix Your Female?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

It was easy to determine when we would fix Max, but I would like to know people on here's opinion and past experiences :)

I will note that I personally do not agree with fixing right away/very young age (ie @ 8 weeks) unless...you are very convincing or have a very strong agrument lol.

Lastly, we have no plans of breeding her.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

My mom spayed her Boxer girl at 2 years old. I did encourage her not to spay her right away, especially since Charlie needed all the help she could get from her body to help her grow. She was a tiny thing that almost didn't make it and needed lots of human help for the first few weeks of her life. She's still small, but she did have those hormones during her growth and, while she's probably one of the smallest Boxers I have ever seen, she is nice and sturdy.

I would think that it's the same for females as it is for males. Different breeds reach full size at different ages, but I would wait until she is done growing or close to it before having her spayed.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

We have an aussie puppy, five months old. We are going to have her spayed but are waiting as long as we can. Our two males are intact, so we will have to start watching close pretty soon. We will have to spay her according to when she just begins her heat, since we have no way to separate them that's how we have to do it. I would like to wait longer, but we really won't be able to.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

It depends on the breed/size of the dog. Small dogs mature quicker than larger ones. I would suggest at least 1-2 years old, after the dog is mature. Growth plates need the sex hormones to develop (and close). Females also have more 'calming' hormones (estrogen) when intact. Middle-aged to older intact females are at greater risk for mammary tumors/cancer, so spaying before the senior years may be a good idea for prevention. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO