Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Flaky Bumps

- - - - - alergies bumps acne dermititis skin condition skin rash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ivleague

ivleague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi all, 

I've been feeding my six month old Dobey a completely raw diet for about a month now and I've started to notice these bumps on her muzzle/face and the backs of her hind legs by the heel.  I am not sure if this is an allergy or another kind of skin condition.  She eats mostly chicken so far with some pork, turkey, fish, beef mixed in.

Anyone experienced anything like this before?  Any ideas or help are appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files

• Furypn and Bellipn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

First of all, welcome! How long have the bumps been there? The whole time since stating raw, or have they just shown up?

ivleague

ivleague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thank you for the salutations.  She has only had the bumps for the last week or ten days.  She's been on PR for the last month or six weeks.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

It could be a skin condition, but I would stop feeding the protein you introduced before the bumps appeared. If after a week of not feeding that protein and the bumps go away, you know the problem. That means there is an allergy with that protein in particular. If not, there may be some something else going on that the vet may need to look at to determine.

ivleague

ivleague

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the response.  I really am concerned though switching from Chicken as it is a source of the bone she needs and readily available/inexpensive.  Strange that chicken would be the cause (I wonder if it's because chicken are grain-fed). 

Any suggestions on what to feed that would be a good replacement for the Chicken?  I have been mixing in beef and pork as well as some fish, but for the bone she's mainly been getting chicken bones.

I appreciate all the help.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

She could have turkey and pork bones as well, or even cornish hens too. It may not be the chicken. What is the last new protein you introduced before these bumps appeared? 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

I LOVE Dobes. I grew up with 2 Dobes and a Rottie. I love the blacks, but a nice red is really eye-catching too. I would love another one day and I think I'd just take whatever color pup the breeder recommended. Or maybe one of each... 

What color is she? In the close up photos she looks blue, but in your signature pictures she looks red. The blues and fawns can suffer from skin conditions so, if she is blue, perhaps it has to do with that rather than her food. If she's red, then I would probably look at food as my prime suspect. Despite her color, it may just be her food, but I thought I'd throw the color related skin issues out there too. There's nothing more frustrating than having a dog exhibit some kind of reaction to something leaving you with a mystery to solve. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

If it does turn out to be chicken, rest assured that there are lots of other options besides chicken as a bone source. I have a dog who had not had more than a bite or two of chicken in all of the 2.5 years I've had him once we discovered that chicken was the reason for his constant diarrhea. 

His bone typically comes from turkey necks, whole cornish game hens, ducks, even a goose once. Just about any other bird I can find. Rabbit is also a good option although it is more expensive than poultry. 

At 6 months, she may still struggle with larger bones like pork, goat, sheep, etc. but those will become options as well. My Bluetick's main source of bone is pork ribs and turkey necks. With a coated dog that has full dentition, you won't have to worry about your girl getting frustrated with ribs like my Xolo boy does so her options for bone WILL expand as she gets larger and stronger. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alergies, bumps, acne, dermititis, skin condition, skin rash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO