Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Is It An Allergy?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

So I'm on day two of feeding raw to my puppy...she is eating ground chicken with bones.  I've noticed she is scratching her neck and ears more often but I've checked her body and there is no rash and she hasn't thrown anything up...could she be allergic, or should I keep feeding her the chicken and maybe its her body getting used to it?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I would stay with it, you are only on day two. You have to give it time. If she has eaten kibble up until now, her body will need to get rid of the toxins from kibble.

Why are you grinding it all? One of the biggest benefits of raw is the teeth cleaning from chewing whole bones, along with mental stimulation of chewing whole cuts of meats.

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I'm going to stick with it as she hasn't developed a rash or getting sick to her stomach.  Currently I bought some pre-packaged raw dog food that has ground up bone in it, just so she can get used to it because on day one she first just licked it as she didn't understand she needed to chew.  I have some portioned out chicken legs and thighs in the freezer and figured once she is an old pro at it then I will start giving her those as well.  I plan on doing what is suggested on the website which is feed one source protein for 2 weeks and then move onto another protein which in my puppy's case will be turkey.  Soon its Thanksgiving here so I will be buying some turkeys that I can portion out for her.

Being now day 3 I definitely see an improvement in the poop department which is great in itself, just now want the scratching to subside as like I said before can't tell if its a food allergy or just dry skin because of the season change.  Gave her a small portion of tripe yesterday as well which she ate and of course made her stool soft so will continue to give her a small daily amount because I know its supposed to be good for her.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Sometimes it does take some getting used to. The last two puppies I brought home, I smashed the first couple of meals with a hammer to make it easier for them to learn to chew. As they started to get it, I backed off the smashing until they were crunching through it themselves. 

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would definitely recommend getting her on whole raw meaty bones instead of a ground, premade diet. Keep us posted on how she does! 

• Iorveth and GimMom like this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

A good rule of thumb.

Mouth, neck, stomach, anus - Food allergies
Ears, rear, back, or all over - likely parasites (fleas or mites)

Feet, legs, stomach - contact allergies

Unless it is fresh ground, she could be reacting to whatever that meat was treated with for freshness.  Who is supplying your meat?  One of my dogs reacted to Pilgrims, has a slight less reaction to Foster Farms, but is completely fine with meat purchased from a co-op or farmer's market.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Sometimes it does take some getting used to. The last two puppies I brought home, I smashed the first couple of meals with a hammer to make it easier for them to learn to chew. As they started to get it, I backed off the smashing until they were crunching through it themselves. 

I would definitely recommend getting her on whole raw meaty bones instead of a ground, premade diet. Keep us posted on how she doing! :)

Listen to these two, they know what they're talking about! 

I started on the ground, and I'm glad I learned about raw meaty bones. No more tartar!  

Starting by breaking down the bones a little bit for her is a great start, her natural instinct will take over and she'll crunch them herself! I hovered over my dog the first time I gave him a bone, scared he wouldn't be able to chomp it, but he crushed it down like an old pro. 

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Chrism987

Chrism987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When my dog was a puppy she used to scratch her ears bloody. We went to the local vet several times for a year with no success of a cure.
We changed vets to a higher profile place, actually the best in NYC. And the vet looked at her ears once and said she has a yeast infection in her ear, then he further inspected and said she also has dermatitis. After a few extreme hive break outs, 1 allergy test later, a mountain of meds and weekly allergy vaccinations our dog is looking much better. She's going on 3 years old in january, off the meds but still on the shots.
Long story short it could be nothing, or it could be the crap we went through or something in between. See a vet. Luckily my dog has short hair so we saw the hives right away.

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

When you say mouth, neck, stomach, anus...food allergy are we saying scratching at the mouth and neck but no rash.  She is still scratching on her neck near her ear and every place else and I'm not sure how to tell if its a yeast infection in the ear, would there be a smell?  I check her body daily and no rash or bumps etc that I can see...if it doesn't improve I will take her into the vet.

I live in Alberta so I bought a pre-ground frozen raw dog food made in Canada so I don't think its the food.  Tonight I will feeding her drumsticks and thighs, because my husband is home incase she chokes...lol so it should be intersting, will try and take a video and post as it should be interesting

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
There would definitely be a smell in her ears if there's a yeast infection.

Let us know how things go with whole meats!
  • GimMom likes this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska
Nobody mentioned food intolerances. Similar to allergies but a different part of the immune system (immunoglobulin A) is involved. Intolerances can cause anything from neurological disorders to gut issues (like inflammatory bowel disease etc) to symptoms of scratching and itching and even trigger autoimmune diseases. Food allergies are pretty rare while food intolerances are much more common. And chicken is a common food intolerance trigger. About 30% of the food supply can cause intolerances due to a type of protein in them called a lectin (or glycoprotein). All grains, legumes (including peas and green beans), nightshade plants (like potato, tomato), dairy etc are common sources of lectins. Chicken and eggs are also sources. My Pomeranian gets colitis (bloody, explosive type) if she eats chicken (raw causing the worst reaction) for more than about three days in a row.

As another poster mentioned, it definitely could be a cleanse though.. If the itching improves after a short time than probably just cleansing from the kibble but if the itching gets worse she could be intolerant of chicken.

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for all the information unfortunately the itching hasn't stopped yet but still no bumps or scratching herself raw so I just keep monitoring her and continue to feed her chicken for another week.  She ate chicken legs and thighs and she did great...the only thing is that the next day a couple of her poops were liquid which never happened since we started her on raw.  Last night I fed her chicken backs and that seemed to firm things again just not sure what cause the foul smelling liquid poop...my husband was grossed out :)  Tonight she will be having chicken thighs and legs if the runny poop returns then its obviously that...hoping not.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Maybe she got into something....keep us posted!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

If, by the end of the two weeks, she is still itching and having poop issues, I would move on to turkey and completely stop the chicken and see if a different protein makes a difference. 

I stuck with chicken with my guy for almost three weeks and he just couldn't handle it. He loved it but his body just didn't like it. He had inconsistent poops and, no matter how boney his meal was it didn't make a difference. We switched to turkey and it immediately stopped. He eats beef, turkey, cornish game hens, pork, venison, fish and more and does just fine but just can't seem to be able to do chicken. 

If not, it isn't a huge deal. There are still plenty of proteins they CAN eat.

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well we are a week in and she is doing quite well...in the evenings we feed her backs or legs and thighs. However the itching hasn't subsided, still monitoring that and if necessary will take her to the vet. I've read so many benefits feeding raw but does it take a couple of months to notice a difference like less scratching, white poop, not stinky breathe or smelly spots...because as of now I still see bone which I'm guessing it means she isn't digesting it yet?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
It'll take a while for their bodies to be able to digest bones more fully.

If stools are normal for another few days you can start to add another protein into the diet....

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

So we stuck with the chicken and tomorrow will be her last day...but yesterday and today her poops are liquid full of mucus.  Since starting her on raw they have been solid but something must be going on.  Last night I fed her a chicken back and some thigh with bone so I'm not sure what is going on...is this normal?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Maybe she has an intolerance to chicken?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

So we stuck with the chicken and tomorrow will be her last day...but yesterday and today her poops are liquid full of mucus.  Since starting her on raw they have been solid but something must be going on.  Last night I fed her a chicken back and some thigh with bone so I'm not sure what is going on...is this normal?

Maybe try going to turkey. Try necks and see how it goes. Feed necks for a few days and is poops are good, try chicken again. If the same thing suddenly happens it's probably a chicken intolerance. 

One of ours has an intolerance to turkey, and that's how we found out. Every time he eats turkey he gets really dark, runny/sort of watery poops. Nothing else he does it on, so no more turkey for Shadow.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'd do what Jenny said and try turkey necks. I think I'm starting to notice the same itching with Gimli and his poops seem better when I switch out chicken and sub in turkey. So I'm going to try that for the next week, making turkey the predominant protein and throwing in chicken for the occasional meal. I just want to see if he's actually having chicken issues before striking it from his "menu".

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO