Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Is It An Allergy?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My girl is going through the same thing, but her allergies started before the raw feeding.  She scratches her belly and underarms, bites her flanks and hip bones.

Her kibbles were predominantly chicken based before, so after two weeks on chicken I'm switching to turkey.  Costs over double what the chicken does :( but it was amazing to watch her chow down on her first turkey neck - thanksgiving came early for my girl ^^

I'm going to switch her to pure turkey for a week and see if there's any improvement.  Vet ruled out all the usual suspects so I'm stuck with dietary or environmental.  Chicken is the easiest protein to obtain but I'm really hoping its the culprit - environmental is so much harder to eliminate.

I hope it goes well with your pup! 

EDIT: My pup just had two consecutive bouts of mucus-y diarrhea like you described, one last night, one midday today, I just started her on turkey necks this lunchtime so I don't think its that.  Hopefully its the chicken causing these symptoms.

Chrism987

Chrism987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Best thing to do is see a good dermatologist vet, allergies are not curable. You can only help prevent reactions. Our dog has severe skin allergies to almost everything in the environment. We went to cheap local vets to try and save money, only to have our time wasted and money. After a year of vet visits with no good results we finally invested in a popular dermatologist vet. We saw dr medina at the animal medical center in NYC. With his help we have seen about an 80% improvement.

Now that we have identified her allergies and have her on treatments, we are trying this raw diet to boost immunity and hopefully naturally reduce reactions without expensive vet visits.

Even with treatments my dog gets hives from time to time. She is just that allergic to things. Her hives are very few and never flare up like they used to before treatments.

We now feed raw food. We keep a journal of what seems to be reducing reactions and what seems to be causing them.
Chicken we have found causes reactions in our dog, she gets hives and scratches her self bloody.

Beef so far works the best. We also feed kale and yams blended. Our current recipe is 3lbs beef, 1 cup mix yams and kale daily. Yams and kale are high in vitamin c and antioxidants. Vitamin c is a natural antihistamine which prevents itching. We also give one table spoon of salmon oil and flax seed, these are high in omega 3 fatty acids which have anti inflammatory properties. Grass fed meat also is high in omega 3 fatty acids.

Hopefully our crappy first experience won't be yours, but if it is, those are things that have worked for us. Remember allergies are pretty much for life, all you can do is try to manage it.

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

When you say mouth, neck, stomach, anus...food allergy are we saying scratching at the mouth and neck but no rash.  She is still scratching on her neck near her ear and every place else and I'm not sure how to tell if its a yeast infection in the ear, would there be a smell?  I check her body daily and no rash or bumps etc that I can see...if it doesn't improve I will take her into the vet.

Mouth may be itchy so they will paw at it.  Neck may be itchy so they will scratch at it.  Stomach or anus may be itchy so they chew or drag it across the floor.  Sometimes there is no rash, just itchiness.

Yeast smells pretty foul but some dogs don't smell as much as others.  If the ears smell like some type of food like Fritos then that is a definite yeast infection.  So the smell isn't always horrible but may seem odd.  There may or may not be discharge depending on the location.

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I'm going to switch her to pure turkey for a week and see if there's any improvement.  Vet ruled out all the usual suspects so I'm stuck with dietary or environmental.  Chicken is the easiest protein to obtain but I'm really hoping its the culprit - environmental is so much harder to eliminate.

Did your vet actually do an allergy test or did they just run lab work?  That sounds like a bug allergy of some sort (like fleas.)  You can have the best flea stuff in the world on your dog but lemme tell you.  Flea allergies are tough.  A hungry flea cannot be repelled.  They are hungry and don't care about how nasty your dog smells.  They will bite and then die usually.  If your dog is allergic, there will be a reaction.

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

We started on turkey today so I'm hoping the itching lessens as the days go on...I have turkey necks being delivered tomorrow which I'm excited about hoping she likes them.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Switching my pup to turkey completely eliminated issues for him. I hope the same goes for yours. It is so simple when it is just one protein that gives them a reaction because you can control whether they get it or not. I was so relieved to find that it was the chicken and not something else.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

It's even easier now, since he's only been on 3 proteins, and he hasn't had fish in a while. If it is chicken in his case, I'll eliminate it and stick with turkey necks. His poops have been pretty nice, so I might look for some pork riblets soon, to get him started on red meat.

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Did your vet actually do an allergy test or did they just run lab work?  That sounds like a bug allergy of some sort (like fleas.)  You can have the best flea stuff in the world on your dog but lemme tell you.  Flea allergies are tough.  A hungry flea cannot be repelled.  They are hungry and don't care about how nasty your dog smells.  They will bite and then die usually.  If your dog is allergic, there will be a reaction.

He didn't do either, actually.  She has no hives nor marks, just very reddened skin and scabs where she scratches too hard, no smell from the ears or anal glands.  No mange, scabies etc. 

Vet's suggestion was flea also, she is on frontline but he suggested one or two got through as you suggested, and this is the ongoing reaction.  I want to rule out chicken allergies since its a culprit that I can control, as it were.  If scratching doesn't get affected by eliminating chicken I'll phase it back in.

The chicken elimination is the last thing I can control, if she doesn't improve then I'm going to go to a dermatologist. 

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

He didn't do either, actually.  She has no hives nor marks, just very reddened skin and scabs where she scratches too hard, no smell from the ears or anal glands.  No mange, scabies etc. 

Vet's suggestion was flea also, she is on frontline but he suggested one or two got through as you suggested, and this is the ongoing reaction.  I want to rule out chicken allergies since its a culprit that I can control, as it were.  If scratching doesn't get affected by eliminating chicken I'll phase it back in.

The chicken elimination is the last thing I can control, if she doesn't improve then I'm going to go to a dermatologist. 

I will be honest.  It really doesn't sound like a food allergy at all.  You don't always get hives or marks.  I'm allergic to grass but I generally get redness unless it is fresh cut and I roll in it (then I will be really red with a teeny bit of hives.)  Before you go to the dermatologist, have you tried fully debugging your house?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How is your girl doing? Any update on her allergies yet?

aparcher13

aparcher13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Well I stuck out the full 2 weeks on the chicken and on Saturday I switched her to turkey...she is still scratching but it hasn't seemed as frequent.  I don't know if its because of the food or because of the season change as she never developed a rash or anything.  When we took her to the vet they gave us a steriod to help with scratching and I gave her 2 doses until I read up on it and all the potential side effects of it and stopped it.  Because she is on turkey now and then onto another protein I'm going to avoid chicken for a couple of weeks until there is no more scratching and then try it again...if any itching starts after that then no more chicken.

I've started giving her a squirt of salmon oil but for some reason she is reacting to that as its causing watery stools...but I'm hoping she builds up a tolerance for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO