Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bitch In Heat With An Intact Male

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi

Hey Guys! It has been such a long time since I last posted here.  Both Samson and Roo are doing so well on raw!  Roo just started her first heat on Monday (she is 15 months old).  Obviously, she isn't spayed yet - our breeder recommended waiting until after the first or second heat so that she could develop longer.  Samson is still intact - he is 2 years old and we are considering having him neutered at 3 years old.  I won't justify my decisions of to spay/neuter or not or the timing of the procedure as that's a whole other topic!  I am looking for advice from those who have both an intact bitch and dog on how to properly keep them separated during these next three weeks.  As of now, Samson isn't trying to mount her or anything, but I know in a few days he will be extremely motivated to mate.  My current plan for separation is to keep Samson in our closet/bathroom (which means there would be 3 locked doors in between him and the living room) and let Ruby have house privileges.  And then rotate them so that Ruby would be in her crate in the living room and Samson would be outside in the yard.  I have absolutely ZERO option of boarding him or having a friend keep him for a couple weeks so I have to manage them both in the same house.  I was feeling confident in my ability to do this, but after reading some horror stories, I am now having a bit of a panic.  I am even thinking about having Samson neutered this week so that he won't have to be stressed during her heat.  THOUGHTS??? ADVICE???

PS - I attached a few photos of Samson and Roo :)

Attached Files

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

It sounds like your plan should be good. I would try to give Samson some extra attention or mentally stimulating toys for his adjustment into smaller living quarters. What I think may be a potential issue are other people. If you live with other people or have visitors over--make sure they are aware of where the dogs are and to leave them alone. Even then, try to be aware of where people in the house may be going (some may intentionally or unintentionally let the dogs loose). Manage, manage, manage. This heat should pass without much trouble if you manage and assess the situation (do the dogs seem OK or stressed, any potential "weakness" in keeping them separate, and so on). I wish you all the best!

BTW, Samson and Roo are gorgeous!! There is some speculation (but not a lot of evidence) that Thais (like my boy) and Rhodesians may be related. :)

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I don't know which one it is but that first picture is absolutely darling. 

This isn't a place where you really have to explain yourself when it comes to spay/neuter. Both of my boys as well as the one I lost almost a month ago were intact and will remain so. More and more people are also understanding that letting a dog keep his hormones until they are finished growing is the right way to go, but people also understand that not everyone wants to keep them intact their entire lives. 

As far as keeping them separate, a friend of mine bred Danes and her rule was that there were two securely closed doors between them at all times. Her dogs are all crated when she leaves so the rule for leaving them alone was that there were the two securely closed doors AND the two crate doors between the males and the female in heat. During the female's heat, she would rotate who got to be out and who was securely put away. Like you said, they were not out together. 

There are also things you can put on his nose to help block her scent. I can't remember what people use, but the effect is kind of like when you put vapor on your lip and that's all you can smell. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Sounds like your plan is about as good as it can get for your situation. When we had only Copper and Aussie, we had to do pretty much the same thing. We didn't spay Copper until after her first heat. Our situation is different now, with two intact males in the house, so our youngest Reba will likely have to be spayed sooner than we would like.

Keep in mind, even if you have Samson neutered this week, he will still be fertile for around six weeks after, so he will still be able to make babies during that time. It takes a little time to get out of the system.You will probably still have to keep them separated if she is already just starting to go into heat.

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks, everyone! I am already feeling much better after reading your advice!  Because I have no access to dog supplies (and Amazon doesn't ship out here!) I made some dog britches out of a pair of my underwear (lol!), which is helping with the mess and thankfully Roo doesn't mind wearing them.  She hasn't entered the fertile period of her cycle so Samson isn't trying to mate with her yet and she isn't asking for it so I am letting them be in the same room with Samson tethered and only when I am sitting near them.  I'm only giving this one more day though because I don't want to risk an accident by assuming she isn't yet fertile.  I've loaded up on Kong fillings and yummy treats!  I am looking into something that can help mask her scent a bit - I did wash her to clean off some dried blood, which happened before I made the britches, and added some tea tree oil to the shampoo so perhaps that will help a bit.

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Also, Roo seems to have gained weight over the past couple days, even though her meals have been the same size as before.  Is it normal for a dog to gain some weight during her heat?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Good luck with it, and be careful! 

I don't breed at all, so I really don't know if it's normal or not for them to gain any weight during heat, but I haven't ever heard anything about that from folks who do breed.

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Roo's heat has passed and she and Samson are back together again!  I'm SO glad it's over.  We had no accidents or security breeches and it really wasn't that hard to keep them separate.  She acted more sleepy and lazy that usual, which was nice, so the challenge was keeping Samson under control. The worst part was Samson's whining - they're both such quiet dogs normally so the whining was driving us nuts!  This was the only time that I had to coax him to eat his meals, as he was so focused on sniffing for Roo!

• naturalfeddogs and TRDmom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I'm glad you made it through "alive"! lol!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Glad you made it through! The only time one of my dogs has done the weird "male obsession" thing was when my Bluetick was younger. We lived at our old house so he was under 2 years old, but he laid by our back door the entire time our neighbor's dog was in heat. He pouted and sulked and it was just so weird. If I remember right, he was a "teenager" around 1 year old or so. I don't know if he just has a better handle on his hormones now, but we have had neighbors' dogs go into heat since then and he has never acted that way again. None of my intact males have pined after a nearby female in heat like Buck did the one time. 

Anyway, if you have access to boy's underwear, putting them on with the "peepee pocket" (term courtesy of my now teenage brothers from when they were little) on top enables you to put her tail through the hole. We have a bunch from when Iorveth got a nasty bug bite on his sheath that caused relentless itching. They were also super handy for when we were dealing with a brief period of allergies and he had an itchy back end, if you know what I mean. For females, people just put a panty liner in. Seems to work well for most people.

Of course, no underwear, hand made out of human undies or specially made doggy britches, I do recommend not assuming they will keep the male out in the event they are together. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO