Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Advice Needed For My Tiny Chi!

raw food chihuahua turkey bone help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Caitlynn

Caitlynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My 5lb chihuahua has been eating raw for a few months now. I generally feed her the raw instinct frozen kibble containing only bone, muscle and organ. We usually get a variety of the red meat options that they offer and supplement her diet with raw, organic, bone-in, chicken/turkey,etc products a few times a week to keep a good variety. She absolutely LOVES getting the meaty bones. She will literally fight me for it and she's generally a very shy, mild mannered dog. Our terrier takes 3xs as long to finish a drum stick. My tiny chihuahua is seriously a wild beast.
Yesterday we gave both the dogs a turkey leg, which is usually great for them, not too small not too big. The terrier took her time, carefully inspecting and ripping through the muscle. My chihuahua was on another level. She ran under the couch with the drum stick and viscously gnawed on it like a psychopath until it was nearly gone. It was covered in dust bunnies and dirt, I look it from her and rinsed it off. Since she had eaten nearly all the meat off the bone I felt it would be best to separate the larger bone from the rest of the meat and just give her the rest of the muscle with the skinnier bone inside. She was apparently so excited to have her food back that she felt it necessary to swallow the muscle, with the bone in one gulp. It was about 3-4" long, skinny and somewhat flexible. She's obviously chewed raw bones on many occasions and I've never had a problem. After some research last night, I wasn't as worried because a lot of people have had the same problem and the stomach acids apparently take care of the bone before it goes any further in the GI tract (?? Not so sure on how reliable this info is).
She looked normal after eating and this morning when I left for work, but now tonight her stomach seems a bit hard and distended (bloated).

Long story short: my concern is that the bone was thin and pliable but was roughly as long as her abdomen. Everything I've found online has been related to larger dogs and I assume that a dog this small has a very thin and winding GI tract. I imagine her intestines are probably similar to a pile of yarn.

After biting the bullet and spending almost $1k on having her teeth cleaned, getting blood work and making sure everything was in tip-top shape back in February, I've done the necessary research to not only save myself myself the money but not force her through all that torture again. I know the only way to prove that the bone isn't causing an obstruction is to get an X-ray, but I'd really rather not put her through that and give her the ultimately unnecessary radiation.

I know I said "long story short" like 8291 minutes ago BUTTTTT ---- does any one have any experience with this type of situation? & does any one know if the dogs stomach acid break the bone down that effectively?

Thanks so much!! Sorry for the long post!

Caitlynn

Caitlynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
PS: She's acting totally normal, with the same activity level she's had since I started feeding her raw (her energy has significantly increased since getting her off a mixture of cooked food and "high quality kibble"). She shows no signs of distress if I squeeze on her belly.
She only had one serving of her normally 2 servings of the 'vital instinct' food this morning.
When I got home from work and noticed her belly was distended, I opted for 2 TBS of plain, organic Greek yogurt hoping the probiotics will help her move things a long and settle her stomach.
There has been no vomiting, no change in behavior. We have 2 other dogs, all 3 of them are trained to use a potty pad so it's impossible for me to know if any of the poo there is from her. Tomorrow I plan to separate her to monitor her bowel activities (if any) and check for blood, etc.

(I'm sorry for the redundant posts! I'm new here and can't figure out how to edit what I've posted!!)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

She will probably be fine. Likely, yes her body will digest the bone. If not, or however much can't be digested usually are either pooped out whole, or vomited back up. As long as she is acting normal I wouldn't worry about it.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

The only thing I remember hearing like this was when a friend's ancient Dachshund swallowed a deer rib whole. In that particular situation, the bone WAS big enough that it was clearly causing the dog pain and they did end up having to have it removed. They went in through her mouth and pulled it back out that way. I don't remember what the term for that procedure is. 

Her owner did tell us though, that the rib had very obvious signs of being digested. If I remember right, even the vet agreed that the bone would have eventually digested enough on its own, but, like I said, the bone in this particular situation was causing the dog pain which is why she had it removed. 

I know my dogs have swallowed bones that were too big for my comfort. I would keep a close eye on her and be ready to take her to the vet if something were to change. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

She sounds like a tiny, 5 lb version of my coonhound who thinks he's a python. If she were mine, I would feed her things that are far too big for her. Things that would make multiple meals for her and let her work on them over multiple days. That way, there's nothing for her to swallow whole. I think we need pictures of her during mealtime. A beast of a Chihuahua sounds awesome.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

How is your Chi doing today?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw food, chihuahua, turkey bone, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO