Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Other Proteins For Small Dogs

chicken lamb goat mice rats rabbit quail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Jennifer

Jennifer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

It's been almost 9 months since I've started feeding my dachshunds raw and they're doing great. They've had a small variety of proteins, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience feeding other bone-in meats to small dogs? Here's what they've had so far:

Chicken, quail (whole prey), rabbit (whole prey), cornish hen, mackerel, sardines, pork, piglets (whole prey), beef

I've been wanting to give them something to really chew on so their teeth can shine up. There's still a bit of tartar on their canines that is especially tough. I noticed that when I feed them a meal of just pork muscle or a meal with little bone, their teeth get instant tartar buildup. The tartar recedes with some elk antler chewing and a good brushing, but never completely goes away.

I've found a place that has goat and mutton 6-way, but I don't know if some of bones would be too tough? I was thinking I could maybe feed the rib bones and just let them take the meat off the larger bones, but maybe the ribs would still be too tough for them. I tried to feed pork necks once, but the bones seemed really tough and they were cut with sharp edges, so I ended up scrapping that idea. 

I also haven't given them much red meat, but I know that it's supposed to be a primary protein source. I've read that rats/mice fall into the red meat category. Does anyone feed them to their small dogs? I'm not sure if mine would like them. I can only get 2 of the 3 to eat rabbit pinkies/fuzzies, but it'd be a good option versus buying beef and pairing it with chicken bones.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

The canines are the ones that are the worst about being dirty and getting buildup on them, because they don't chew as much with them like they do the back.  What I do, even though I don't have small dogs, is give them something that they can't actually chew through the bone, like beef ribs. That way, they use the canines to pull and tear the meat off the bones, and that really helps to clean them. That's about all I really know how to do it, that I can think of right off. 

I have also found frog legs around here, and they are great little bone in protein for small dogs.

I'm not sure if rats and mice fall into the red meat category or not, but they do need as much as possible. Pork ribs and beef ribs would be a good way to get some in, and help with the teeth as well. 

What about organs? What have they had ?

Jennifer

Jennifer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Oh those are good ideas. I've been hesitant about giving them some larger bones, they love to chew and they always think they're bigger dogs than they actually are lol. I think one of my girls already has a worn down rear molar (I don't know if they're called molars for dogs) from chewing on cooked beef knuckles when she was with her previous owner. I think if I monitor them closely, they'll be okay. I'll try to look for frog legs in my area.

Recently I gave them meaty beef calves as a treat. It was hilarious! It cleaned up their teeth a bit, but they only had a short time with it in the heat.

They've had a lot of whole prey, so they get all the organs from those animals. I've also gotten them beef liver, but mostly they get chicken and rabbit organs. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chicken, lamb, goat, mice, rats, rabbit, quail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO