Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tessa's Story In Short

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

posburyfan

posburyfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi everybody

I am new at this forum and wanted to share the story of my lovely Gordon Setter Tessa. Tessa is now 14 months old and when I first got her we continued with the kibble that the breeder had recommended. It didn't work. She suffered from endless diarrhea, her coat became dull and she was scratching herself continuously. We tried a range of other brands, dry and wet, with and without grain, went to the vet, had blood test and others taken that all came back clear, so he wanted to put her on steroids and anti-histamines - at 7 months old! I refused. There had to be a better and healthier alternative than being on medication throughout her life.

So we came across barfing and I started her on that. Almost immediately the itching stopped, her digestive system balanced out and her coat became shiny as it is supposed to be for a setter. 

Unfortunately she never liked all the added bits and pieces, like fruit and veg, herbal and other supplements so we kind of started to naturally migrate to a prey model. It was a constant hassle (she is not particularly food driven anyway, so would skip meals on a regular basis). It noticed the difference when I fed her the meat and offal and bones without. I had heard about the prey model raw feeding briefly before. Still, I was reluctant and worried and only last week did I take the plunge and already everything has changed! Tessa is looking forward to her meals for the first time! One of her meals yesterday was half a lamb's spine  and although the amount of bone was quite big for her (she crunched and enjoyed herself for half an hour and it was gone) - and I was worried about possible constipation - she is perfectly fine today and all is well. She even had another meal this morning, which is quite unheard of after the amount of food she had yesterday.

I am really happy and, more important, Tessa seems to be, too.

I will still need quite a bit of advice and am looking forward to get more information from this lovely forum

Attached Files

• OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! I missed this post, but saw your others. I'm so glad you are here! Great decision you made to go raw!

• posburyfan likes this

posburyfan

posburyfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Welcome! I missed this post, but saw your others. I'm so glad you are here! Great decision you made to go raw!

Hi, thank you - yes, the raw without any additions seems to be the way forward for Tessa  :thumbsu:

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

She's beautiful. Gordons used to be my favorite Setters. I am a little biased towards Irish Setters now because of a wonderful Irish I knew named David who was just the embodiment of what a good, family dog should be, but I still think I would end up with a Gordon if I were to buy a setter for myself. I do like the Irish Red and White, but I prefer a darker dog. Easier to keep clean and boy, nothing shines like the coat of a healthy, black dog!

I must insist on more photos of this lovely girl. I'm glad she's liking her new diet and I hope she continues to thrive on it. Welcome to the forum!

• naturalfeddogs and posburyfan like this

posburyfan

posburyfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Attached File  die Sonne geniessen 3 Biene 2.jpg   700.96KB   0 downloadsAttached File  die Sonne geniessen 7.jpg   211.54KB   0 downloadsThank you Iorveth :-)

I prefer dark coloured dogs, too and was very lucky that by coincidence my first dog was a Gordon. I am hooked since lol. And I agree with you on the glossiness of dark coats. Nothing beats that.

Here are a couple more pics

• naturalfeddogs likes this

posburyfan

posburyfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

oops - no idea why the photos are so large lol

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

My photos end up large like that too. I'm not very good at computer stuff!

She really is a beautiful dog. I have had very few light colored dogs. My very first dog was a yellow Labrador, but I had nothing to do with picking her because I was barely walking! I was raised with two black and rust Dobermans and a Rottweiler. My mom remarried to my stepdad who had a Dalmatian and a Brittany. The Brittany, Hoss, was pretty much a show ring reject with his lack of white and his coat that didn't fit into either orange or liver. He was mostly a beautiful red chestnut with a narrow blaze that ended  in the perfect silhouette of a Texas Longhorn right above his eyes. He became mine. After that I ended up with a black tricolor Smooth Collie, a darkly ticked Bluetick Coonhound, and a black Xoloitzcuintli. I just really tend to gravitate towards darker dogs. For our next dog now that the Collie is gone, were looking at a few different breeds (Borzoi, Australian Kelpie, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, another Xolo). The Xolo would be another black, the Chessie would be a darker brown rather than one of the lighter ones, Kelpies are all darker, and even though they typically have a lot of white, I am drawn to the darker Borzois. I've even seen some solid black ones that really catch my eye.

Not that you asked for my entire dog owning history, but there it is, I suppose!

• posburyfan likes this

posburyfan

posburyfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

so many different breeds! I must say that my own first dog (after the foxterrier I grew up with) was a Gordon, but that was pure chance. I admired a red setter that was living in the neighbourhood but when we got talking I said that I was, as lovely as her dog looked, actually looking for a black dog. She said that the Irish Setter breeder had 1 Gordon he was looking to rehome and so I went to meet her. She was 10 months old and it was love at first sight - mutually.Only in restrospect became I aware how exceptional this was. After that I was hooked by the Gordon's laid back temperament, their elegance and intelligence. So it was and will always be a Gordon for me, although I really like Barzois, too. Never heard or seen a black one though! Do you have a picture?

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I don't have any pictures that I've taken, but Google should get you some really stunning results. The few black Borzois I have seen have been solid black or solid black with a little bit of white on the chest and/or toes. Googling though shows you some tricolors that are mostly black. There's something about having that little bit of a third color that can really make a dog a head turner when it comes to certain breeds. I prefer the solid black, but for some reason, the black and white look plain to me... 

For example, I have a Bluetick Coonhound. Blueticks can either be just black and white, or black and white with the tan/rust markings. They have the rust legs, cheeks, eyebrows, and shield. The black and blues (without the tan) just look so plain to me. Having that rust really makes them stand out. 

On the other hand, a black and tan Doberman or a liver and white German Shorthair doesn't need a third color. I think it's something to do with the actual black and white. 

Totally off topic, but sometimes I just get typing and it goes in a direction I didn't intend!

I do like the red and white Borzois too. I think I am pretty sold on a Chesapeake. I LOVE the breed because they are so different from the other retrievers in regards to temperament and personality. I would LOVE another Xolo (I have found THE breed for me like you have with Gordons), but the more I think about it, the more I feel like it would be a betrayal of sorts to my current Xolo, Iorveth. It's a totally silly thought, but I feel like getting another one while he is still around (and he's only 2.5 years old) would be very strange. My line of thinking makes absolutely no sense, but he is my heart dog and I think I would end up comparing the new Xolo to Iorveth which would be unfair to me and the new dog. I'm sure I'll get over that eventually, but either way, I am pretty much sold on the Chessie. I've never owned one, but my mom's neighbors (and the neighbors at the far end of the street loved her so much they got one of their own) had one so I grew up with a Chessie that was best friends with my Collie. I spent as much time around her as I did my own dogs. I FEEL like I've owned one.

Michelle08

Michelle08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there, I'm a newbie too and I have a Gordon called Duncan. He's almost 15 weeks and has been RPM since we got him at 8 weeks. I tried to put up some photos but some box comes up saying the photos are too big. I'm hopeless with this tech stuff! He's doing really well with raw and is very shiny too and I'm very happy with his weight and growth. He's going to be a big boy eventually! He isn't keen on chicken anymore so I have to grind it and throw in the liver as he doesn't like the texture (I've tried freezing it but no use). Anyway, I am excited to see another Gordon. They're gorgeous! Your Tessa is beautiful! There aren't many around here in the area I live in NZ. I've had two before and loved the nature of them. Biddable clever and very "talkative" so funny! So, welcome! Michelle and Duncan

Michelle08

Michelle08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi to Tessa the Gordon from Duncan the Gordon! Duncan is 14 weeks and has been raw fed since we got him at 8 weeks. You're right about how shiny they are on RPM. We are newbies and are still learning but wouldn't change to anything else. Still has baby teeth so some bones are a challenge but I can see that Tessa is doing really well. Duncan has gone off chicken at the moment but he loves pork, green tripe and lamb and can even crunch a few bones from them. I'm still feeling my way! Hates liver so I grind it with chicken backs! Anyway, welcome Tessa! I'm hoping a photo I've tried to put up has actually attached itself!😊Attached File  image.jpeg   251.31KB   0 downloads

Michelle08

Michelle08

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oops! Got the photo the wrong way!

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustralia