Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Cleaning Advice

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DionnaSmith

DionnaSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Hi there. I have searched the site and haven't found this topic anywhere so I am gonna ask this here. I switched to a full raw diet for my pack in March. They are all doing wonderfully on it. I was feeding them all indoors, however I started to be able to smell the raw meat when I would come inside my home so I switched to feeding my pups outside. I have several outdoor beds on the patio along with a large wooden balcony with stairs and a landing in the yard, My GSD LOOOOVES to eat her meat on the bed and my AmStaff always takes hers to the wooden landing. I have tried to coerce them to eat in the grass but as soon as I turn my back they both go back to their preferred spots. In the last month, even though I wash the areas off, dark black spots have started to appear where they eat. I have tried bleach and cleaning products for outdoor furniture and nothing seems to be phasing it at all! Does anyone have any advice on how to get these areas clean and keep them that way? Thanks so much, in advance.

• RichardRes likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome to prey model!  You could try putting down mats of some kind in their prefered spots, and see if they will stay and eat on them.  I feed three of mine in the kitchen, and haven't smelled any meat smell ever, exept when the packages the meat came in are left in the trash for a couple of days. Are you sure there isn't a piece of meat maybe, or meat "juice" left somewhere on the floor? 

• RichardRes likes this

DionnaSmith

DionnaSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

I was feeding one in the kitchen (he resource guards in a small area) and the other two in the feeding/pet room so I don't see how I could have missed anything and surely my cleaning lady would have found it if I didn't. Maybe my nose is just too sensitive for twice a day feedings in the house, not really sure. I will try the mat idea and see if that works. I think I can sand the wood and get the stain off but I may have to throw the bed away if there isn't a cleaning solution that will work. It looks so disgusting. Thank you for the advice.

• RichardRes likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

You can use those large wire crates as well as eating spaces. Teach them that that is where they eat, and they have plastic trays in them which are easy to clean.

• RichardRes likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I have no advice on the spots, unfortunately, as I have never experienced that, but we feed our dogs either in the kitchen on the linoleum in front of the dog freezer or in our coonhound's solid aluminum crate (he breaks out of wire crates). For both we just wide up with apple cider vinegar when they're finished and we've never had any issue with meat smells even when we feed fish.

I hope you're able to find a solution for the ugly spots. I have never let ours eat on the wooden deck because we have too many critters that would be interested in the lingering smell. We even keep old crab shells in the freezer until garbage morning because of the raccoons and coyotes!

One idea would be to set up two x-pens in the grass where you want them to eat. They're easy to fold up and move aside when you're not using them and then bring them back out to eat in. That way they would be forced to eat where you put them. As far as eating on a bed... We have a cheap dog bed that can just be thrown in the wash when it gets gross. It gets moved all over the place. It's been in the boat, out on the deck, out in the grass, even out in the dirt. The "good" beds are all inside only beds that have "their" place, but this one has been through the ringer. It's not very pretty, but it is smaller and just so easy to toss in the wash. I would find something like that for the one who likes to eat on her bed if you want to continue to let her do that. 

• RichardRes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO