Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Weak Paw Pad Suggestions...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

This is when I miss DaViking.  I know that sometimes the type of food you feed effects the durability of your dogs pads.  A friend of mine has a lab that loves to play fetch.  Love love loves it!  But she continually rips her paw pads apart. I asked if she has soft pads or dry cracked pads and she said they are very dry.

Does anyone believe diet could play a part?  And if so, is there a brand of dog food that could be recommended?  I assume working dogs, esp search a rescue dogs need solid tough pads, which is why DaViking came to mind.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

That's a good question. I've never even thought about it. It will be interesting to see what replies are.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I think that conditions like this are too multi-factorial to place it all on diet. Sure, I think that diet could play a role but we wont ever know if it's not due to genetics, some kind of fungal infection, autoimmune disease, etc. 

What I would try is increasing the amount of zinc to the dog's diet. Zinc is important for tissue formation and function. Apply castor oil to paw pads three times daily  will harden them, but only apply if there are no open wounds. 

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

One of the main problems with dogs is Zinc deficiency.  Make sure there is enough Zinc and omega 3.  Fish oil can be bought at just about any store (medicine section of regular supermarkets, food section of natural markets.)  

But like Natalie said, you don't know till you have it checked out.  Could be bacterial, viral, or genetic.  Or it could be that the dog just needs a break because the paws didn't wear into their work (like shoes.)  

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
How would you add zinc to a dogs diet?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
You can add a supplement to their diet. I think there are also Zinc supplement treat out there too....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO