Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Still Having Food Allergies After Months Of Raw Feeding

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I've a 22 months old golden and he is very prone to food allergies. He is neutered by the way.

When he was 6 months old I cooked for him instead of feeding him kibbles. But he wasn't doing well as he kept breaking out in rashes and hotspots. At that time I gave him cooked chicken/liver/gizzard/eggs and ACV. I suspect he might be allergic to chicken be it cooked form or kibble form. So, I stopped feeding him cooked chicken and fed him raw ground beef and raw eggs instead. Oh boy! His hotspots were even worse off. So,  I stopped giving him raw ground beef and eggs and switched him back to chicken but in raw form. Nope! didn't do well. Ear infection sets in as well. So I could safely confirm he was definitely allergic to chicken in any form. Then I put him on raw lamb/mutton. Seems to be doing ok but his ears infection was still there despite putting him on Surolan ear drop and he was still licking his paws though not as much as when he was on chicken/beef/eggs. Then this February I went to visit my mum. My mum's place don't have a big fridge or freezer and no place to store his raw lamb/mutton. So instead of giving him raw I've no choice but to cook his food. One and a half weeks later we went back to my place and back he went on raw again. Then two days later he broke out in hotspots. It was bad. So, off we went to the vet and as usual prescribe him with antibiotics. After 2 days on antibiotics his hotspots and rashes didn't subside and we went back again to the vet where this time he was being put on Prednisolene steroids. Ok, it cleared up but he wasn't doing great still. Then in April, he was down once again with hotspots and rashes and off we went again to the vet. This time the vet suggest that I do an IGE serological test on him to determine exactly what food he could and could not eat. So, I did. When the result came back I got a shock! It was like he cannot tolerate almost any protein except turkey and sardines!.

Well, in my country, raw turkey is hard to find not to mention is super expensive. Also the sardines here are local sardines. Not the real thing. (I googled that). Luckily or unluckily I worked in the next country (only separated by a small Straits) where there are frozen raw turkey for sale and at decent price. So, I switched him to raw turkey - Norbest Young Turkey from USA or Butterball - which although is raw but has some natural seasoning and broth (I don't know what which wasn't properly label). He was like doing ok until late June when he suddenly come down with Malassezia in both ears and his testicles was red. Immediately I took him to the vet and was put on Pred again. This time round the steroids don't seems to be working on him and I took him to another vet.

This vet checked him over and said he could be probably allergic to the grass as well and asked me why wasn't my boy's testicles completely removed by the other vet. I told him I've no idea but the other vet did mention eventually my boy's testicles will shrink to almost nothing. So this vet said my boy might need to go for another surgery to completely removed his testicles in order not to let his testicles to have any contact with the grass and also suggest that I let my boy wear shoes! which seriously sounds very silly as my boy is a golden. It's a big dog and letting him wear shoes is kinda weird. Anyway, this vet put my boy on Ospexin, an antibiotics for his rashes and Ketanozole for his Malassezia. Diligently I fed my boy the meds and after a week later when the meds ran out my boy still wasn't any better. The hotspots/rashes and Malassezia came back in full force with immediate effect. Off we went back to the vet again. The vet that said my boy needed another surgery for his testicles wasn't in so was looked over by yet another vet but in the same clinic. This vet gave him more Ospexin, more Ketanozole and additionally steroids too. I told her that my boy was on steroids just two weeks ago and didn't do well that was why we came to this clinic. This vet said maybe my boy wasn't on high enough dosage and that was why his infection still persisted. So she upped his dosage.

So home we went and I put him again on the prescribed steroids but I really really don't like it as he drank too much water and was constantly going to relieve himself. I have to go to work and I don't let him outside the house compound for fear of people poisoning him. My poor boy wouldn't dare to drink much water while I wasn't at home despite he was super thirsty and for fearing of peeing inside the house. The moment I reached home he will run to his water bowl and guzzled up all the water! It was very sad seeing him like that.

I was so upset with this situation that I decided to stop giving him steroids and even the antibiotics. I searched the internet and came upon coconut oil which said could help with infections and good for the overall being. So I went out to buy the organic coconut virgin oil for him. I started feeding him just last Sunday afternoon a teaspoon and even rubbed some on his rashes. I'm not sure if it was my imagination or because I desperately want it to work but that whole afternoon he didn't seem to lick or scratch himself that much. Also, I pat his ears and his groin area with organic ACV by Solana and his Malassezia did seems to subside.

Fast forward to today. Although his redness in his ears are still there but not so angry and his groin area was way much better than before, I think the coconut oil really doing something good to my boy.

Another pet forum which I was visited suggested I do a full panel thyroid test for my boy. Also I visited this website greatdanelady.com where this author also encourage dog owners to do a full panel thyroid test for our dogs. Anything that is just borderline is not really that good for our dogs. Previously I did mention to the vet that we use to frequent to do a thyroid test but she was not keen saying that my boy is far too young to have any form of thyroid problem be it hyper or hypo. Besides, he doesn't seems to be exhibiting any symptoms that pinned him to be suffering from thyroidism.  Instead she made me do a Multiple biochem on my boy which she said will determine if my boy really needed to do a thyroid test. The other pet forum then suggested why not I get the vet to just draw his blood and send the sample to USA to this place hemopet for a testing? I told them even if the vet in my country will draw the blood (which I sincerely doubt they would be willing to) the price of sending it to USA would cost me a bomb. I couldn't afford that. Guess I'll just have to persuade another vet to do a full panel thyroid test on my boy. I've also read up on Leaky Gut Syndrome or Dysbiosis by Dr. Karen Becker. The symptom she mentioned sounds very much like what my boy is having.

Does anyone else here share similar problems with me whereby their dogs keep having skin allergies despite on raw? Care to share with me your experience and solution to battle my boy's problem. Does anyone else use coconut oil as supplement? What else can I do for my boy so he won't have to suffer?

I'm really vexed by my boy's health and it's stressing me out. I hope to find a solution to end his problem.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would take a holistic and TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) approach to his care to see if that will help with his food issues. I have a friend with a Standard Poodle who has issues similar to your boy, and I know that she uses the above techniques with good success. That and I know that she is able to feed the foods that her dog is supposedly allergic to, if she gets them from a naturally raised place. Like he can eat beef that is 100% grass fed but not beef that is raised on grain. 

It may be that he's really allergic to grains, that will carry over in the meat he eats. Do you know where the meat you were feeding was from? What about the eggs? Organic/free range/naturally raised or were they factory farmed? 

http://www.acreature...nyanbalance.htm

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.  (BTW how do I address you please? I can't be calling you admin. Kinda rude of me to do that :)  )

The problem is in my country there are no holistic vet at all! And the TCM here only treat humans. I think they would freak out if I bring my dog in asking them to treat him. Truth to be told even our normal vet practises here are still in their infancy stage. Probably about 40 - 50 years old give and take? Also the vets here are really very into medicine only. The mention of using any unconventional or traditional method will get a sound rap from them like if I tell them that I'm using organic ACV to wash my boy's paw after a walk. They will go like this - "Are you sure that work? Don't blame me if your dog comes out with something else after using this organic ACV!" They will make it sound like as if the organic ACV is some kind of poison which in actual fact the steroids and Chloehexerdine (or something like that) could actually do more harm than good for my boy.

So, right now I've ditched all medicine for my boy and doing my way like using all the supplements to help him. As mentioned I've started giving him organic virgin coconut oil orally and topically. Also using Solana Organic ACV to dab his ears. I did see some improvement like he is not constantly scratching himself silly. Plus he love the taste and smell of both liquid. Problem is I have to constantly reapplied it on him because he would lick clean the coconut oil :P . And yes I've completely taken off grain from his raw fed. Previously when his IGE test result came back saying that he can take rice I was quite taken aback. I did gave him brown rice mixed with his raw turkey but after the break out I completely omitted the brown rice from his diet.

So, now his morning diet a tsp of organic virgin coconut oil then an hour later after his walk his meal would consist of 250g - 300g of pure raw turkey breast meat added in with a MSM pill,  1 capsule of Evening Primrose oil,  a sachet of kids pre & probiotic, a capful of Solana organic ACV and a tbp of steamed pumpkin (they don't sell tinned pumpkin in my country), plus a 250-300g of a chunk of raw turkey with bones for him to chew. Then in the afternoon I would give him a tsp of coconut oil again. Later in the evening after his walk his meal will be quite similar to the morning one except I will give him a capsule of Flaxseed oil instead of Evening Primrose oil and added in a fresh clove of chopped garlic. Then immediately follow-up with a chunk of turkey with bones to chew on now. He really love the bones. I will always buy 1 whole raw turkey and one netted raw turkey breast for him. All will be cut up  and measured and to be frozen for at least 3 days before giving it to him. Hopefully his skin allergies/problems will go away with this virgin coconut oil added into his diet otherwise I'll be back to square one again. Seeing him scratching himself vigorously pains my heart.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.  (BTW how do I address you please? I can't be calling you admin. Kinda rude of me to do that :)  )

The problem is in my country there are no holistic vet at all! And the TCM here only treat humans. I think they would freak out if I bring my dog in asking them to treat him. Truth to be told even our normal vet practises here are still in their infancy stage. Probably about 40 - 50 years old give and take? Also the vets here are really very into medicine only. The mention of using any unconventional or traditional method will get a sound rap from them like if I tell them that I'm using organic ACV to wash my boy's paw after a walk. They will go like this - "Are you sure that work? Don't blame me if your dog comes out with something else after using this organic ACV!" They will make it sound like as if the organic ACV is some kind of poison which in actual fact the steroids and Chloehexerdine (or something like that) could actually do more harm than good for my boy.

So, right now I've ditched all medicine for my boy and doing my way like using all the supplements to help him. As mentioned I've started giving him organic virgin coconut oil orally and topically. Also using Solana Organic ACV to dab his ears. I did see some improvement like he is not constantly scratching himself silly. Plus he love the taste and smell of both liquid. Problem is I have to constantly reapplied it on him because he would lick clean the coconut oil :P . And yes I've completely taken off grain from his raw fed. Previously when his IGE test result came back saying that he can take rice I was quite taken aback. I did gave him brown rice mixed with his raw turkey but after the break out I completely omitted the brown rice from his diet.

So, now his morning diet a tsp of organic virgin coconut oil then an hour later after his walk his meal would consist of 250g - 300g of pure raw turkey breast meat added in with a MSM pill,  1 capsule of Evening Primrose oil,  a sachet of kids pre & probiotic, a capful of Solana organic ACV and a tbp of steamed pumpkin (they don't sell tinned pumpkin in my country), plus a 250-300g of a chunk of raw turkey with bones for him to chew. Then in the afternoon I would give him a tsp of coconut oil again. Later in the evening after his walk his meal will be quite similar to the morning one except I will give him a capsule of Flaxseed oil instead of Evening Primrose oil and added in a fresh clove of chopped garlic. Then immediately follow-up with a chunk of turkey with bones to chew on now. He really love the bones. I will always buy 1 whole raw turkey and one netted raw turkey breast for him. All will be cut up  and measured and to be frozen for at least 3 days before giving it to him. Hopefully his skin allergies/problems will go away with this virgin coconut oil added into his diet otherwise I'll be back to square one again. Seeing him scratching himself vigorously pains my heart.

You can call me Natalie (as in my signature below :)  )

Maybe call your TCM doctors to see if they know any that treat animals as well. There's a chance that they know of someone that can help you! 

Chlorohexadine is actually a great antiseptic cleaner that even I use on a regular basis to clean open wounds. 

It sounds like you have really done your research on diet and things to add to it. Keep us posted on how things go! What country are you from? 

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hello Natalie,

Are those really your dogs? They looked like pin-up models! Really beautiful and obedient to let you photograph them. I'm from Malaysia whereby a country the major race hate dogs due to their religion (Islamic). They want us to license our dogs but they make it difficult for us. When I went to the town council to apply license for my pooches the woman that literally made a face and swore! Then she gave me a whole stack of forms to fill up. The forms needed the signatures of my immediate neighbours' approval so I can own my dogs. These are just bunch of hogwash that us dog lovers are facing in my country. Still it doesn't guarantee the safety of our dogs. Should any of the neighbours complain to the town council and without much investigation the town council will barge into the neighbourhood and literally shoot the dog. They don't care if your dogs were inside our house compound or not. They will just shoot! Some of these dogs in fact has valid dog license! The dog owners can complain for all we can but they wouldn't care. Then the case will be swept under the carpet!

Anyway I'm just venting of unfair treatment to us and our dogs. It sucks to live in my country! (excuse me that for cussing)

I would love to bring my boy to a TCM should I ever find one that treat animals. I doubt there would be one in my country but I'll take your suggestion and give it a try.

BTW Natalie, has any of your dogs fall sick ever since they went on raw. I mean not immediately fell sick but over the years. It's not necessary they fell sick due to eating something that was contaminated. You know just like us humans fall sick sometimes due to weather or catching a cold that kind of thing. If they fall sick do you still bring them to the vet? Do you still give them medicine? Or home treatment?

Thanks!

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Hi Rambo's Mum,

The diet you are feeding is pretty unbalanced and possibly a direct cause of the issues you are seeing..  Chicken and turkey are both high in omega 6 linoleic acid which is absolutely necessary for proper health but if fed in too high an amount (and not properly balanced with omega 3) the necessary linoleic acid can be converted to arachidonic acid which is quite inflammatory.  Dogs also need saturated fats from red meats etc.  The coconut oil is a good source of a type of saturated fat called lauric acid but other types are important too.  Poultry products also supply a differing amino acid makeup than red meats.  And rice (all grains) have anit-nutrients in them called phytates (rice has been scientifically shown to cause a zinc deficiency in those eating large amounts as an example -- phytates can also bind with other minerals and cause deficiencies).  All grains also have enzyme inhibitors which make it more difficult for the body to digest the proteins fed.  Flax is a good source of ALA omega 3 fatty acids but adult dogs are incapable of converting ALA to the much more important DHA/EPA omega 3 fatty acids.  If you can get your hands on them, you'd be much better off feeding a few sardines versus the flax seed supplement.

I do think your pup is better off on a raw (or cooked) diet but because of the extreme issues you are seeing I think it might be wise to purposefully balance the diet til things are worked out.  You can use Dr. Becker's book or feed a commercial product if available etc. 

And I think Natalie has a very valid point about checking the quality of the meats you feed.  Also, it is well known that the allergy tests are pretty inaccurate and can give false positives and false negatives.  An elimination diet is the only fool proof way of diagnosing food allergies and intolerances.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yep those are my dogs! None of them have gotten ill since being on a raw diet in 5 years. No chronic problems.

Bailey my oldest Dane has had two forms of cancer removed though.....mast cell tumor and a spindle cell tumor.

Sounds like your country is a fairly difficult place to even have dogs. Could you even source red meat?

Do you

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Swinn & Natalie

Thank you for the advice and show of concern for my boy. It really warms my heart.

I've not been feeding him chicken anymore ever since I found out he is allergic to it. I know what you said about allergy test may not be that pretty accurate but over the months since I first got him at the age of 2 months old, I've been constantly battling his skin problem.

To be precise;-

When I first brought my little boy home at 2 months he was already on chicken & rice kibble at the breeder's home. So, naturally I continued to feed him the same kibbles. At that point of time nothing happen to him. Then when he was 3 months old he suddenly fell very ill.  He develop a high fever and was vomiting bad and even pooping blood. I immediately took him to the vet for examination. The vet did a blood test on him and said he contracted Canine Distemper and it was just the starting of it. As my boy was only 3 months old she immediately gave him a booster injection and also prescribed my boy with antibiotics. She said there was nothing much I could do except to make him comfortable, monitor his progress and wait it out. Should his fever doesn't come down or his symptoms took a turn for the worse he would have to be warded immediately. I took my boy home and did as what the vet said. Luckily by morning he was sleeping and when I feel him his fever seemed to have gone down though still warm. I continued with the medicine and by late evening he was walking about again. The third day he resume eating.

After this incident and that's when all his skin problem started to crop up. At 4 months he developed ringworms. Also his skin turned black. I took him back to his breeder to ask for advice and his breeder said he has hormonal imbalances. He took me to a pharmacy and bought some pills (I can't remember what it was) and fed it to my boy. A week later his skin turned pink again. Also I treated his ringworms with fungal cream. Well, it disappeared alright but then from then on he would continue to have skin problem. So, by the time he was 6 months I started cooking for him hoping cooked food might solve his skin issue but still no luck and that was when I decided to feed him raw. I think he was about 7 and a half months then when I did the switch to completely raw. Still it was no good and every other month if not week we will be going to the vet.

So, I suspect his immune system was compromise due to his Canine Distemper episode.

I've completely omitted out rice from his diet too. I can easily get him red meat like free range beef but that one was proven he couldn't tolerate. 2 days on the meat and he would instantly break out in hotspots. Months later I tried beef on him again and the hotspots show the next day. Very highly allergic to beef. At least he could tolerate lamb/mutton for a few months with some rashes before it became full blown hotspots. As for sardines, I couldn't find the real McCoy - Clupeidae - part of the herring family. except in tin form which has been processed and has brine. The fresh ones sold here in my country are actually Scad - mackerel family - which he couldn't tolerate. Tried that on him and he breaks out. Anyway he hates fish :P. As for other red meat like kangaroos, deer, emu or ostriches, these are considered novel meat which is super duper expensive in my country. At least I can still afford turkey for him. Apart from that there is nothing much to feed him already. Since you mentioned that turkey is already high in Omega 6, I will omit out the Evening Primrose oil as it is an Omega 6 source, and my vet told me exactly what you said too that dogs cannot convert from ALA to DHA/EPA. I will have to go find another Omega 3 supplement for him other than the flax seed.

Well, next week I will bring him in to the vet to do the Thyroid test and see what happen. I think I've done almost all I can for my boy. I'll just hope and pray for the best.

Btw Is goat meat the same as lamb/mutton please? I think I can get goat meat here.

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Oh Rambo's Mum!!! :(  What a horrible nightmare you both have been through!!  He is so very lucky to have you!!!!

Goat meat is different and definitely worth a try in my opinion..  If you can I would also add organ meats at about 10% of the diet.  The vitamins and some minerals come from the organs --- kidneys, liver, pancreas or whatever you have available (brains, eyes, gizzards etc).  Mix as many as you have access to and then feed at 10% of the total diet.  Often times dogs that are allergic to beef or chicken muscle meat can eat beef and chicken organs and glands without a reaction.  If using beef or chicken I would add only one at a time and then feed for a few days before adding another to make sure it isn't going to cause a reaction.

If you have access to an herb called slippery elm it is good at coating and protecting the digestive tract and can help prevent further damage while the gut is healing.  If slippery elm is not available, good quality and edible aloe vera gel is an option as well.  An herb called milk thistle helps the liver clear out debris (like the histamine caused by the allergic food reactions).  If he tolerates raw eggs they would be another good option.  IF fed raw and the egg is not damage (by beating etc) it contains the precursor that the body uses to make the "master antioxidant" of the body (called glutathione).  Glutathione is very important at helping the liver clear out debris and toxins.  If the egg is whipped, beaten, cooked etc it damages that precursor.  The body can still make glutathione but not as easily or readily.  Glutathione is not well supplemented -- it is made by the body from the nutrients (amino acids and vitamins) that we eat.

In the states we have a product called SeaCure or SeaVive.  SeaCure is "hydrolyzed white fish" and is a VERY easy way to get highly digestible protein into the body.  Very therapeutic when used short term.  The amino acid called glutamine is reparative to the digestive tract and SeaCure has glutamine in a easily absorbable form.  However, these products (or any product with free glutamine also called glutamic acid) should not be used long term -- no more than say six months in my opinion.  SeaVive is the same hydrolyzed whitefish as SeaCure but has added colostrum which is also quite therapeutic.

You mentioned already that you give coconut oil which is really good BUT the quality of coconut oil can vary greatly and makes all the difference as to the health benefits.  If the oil you are giving doesn't smell and taste like coconuts then it has been too refined to be of much value.  If it does smell and taste like coconut than you should be good.

Feeding fresh pineapple as a treat in between meals is helpful with the inflammation in the body (caused by the allergic reactions and infection).  Pineapple has a protein digesting enzyme called bromelain.  Bromelain (when fed away from meals) has been shown to be an anti-inflammatory as well as other health benefits.  The spice turmeric is also very healthful and is a good anti-inflammatory.  In the States it is important to only use organic as spices here are often irradiated.  Not sure about where you are?  Turmeric can be added to the food. 

Personally, I would continue with the pre / probiotic, the fresh garlic and the ACV..  And, if you have access to a whole food, preferably glandular based if available, vitamin/mineral mix I think it should be utilized while your pup is having these issues.  The body is SO dependent on the nutrients it takes in for optimal health.  Food intolerances (and possibly allergies as well?) can often cause malabsorption issues.  Supplying extra nutrients can be very beneficial.

Also, expect setbacks..  Holistic practitioners often discuss a healing crisis or healing episode.  As the liver clears out debris and toxins and the diet gives the body what it needs to help the liver, the liver can cleanse faster and in doing so will cause some of the symptoms that were seen before the changes were put in place.  This is normal and is actually a good sign.  Veterinary Naturopaths, Dr. Jeannie Thomason and Dr. Kim Bloomer have a good article on the healing crisis  http://www.thewholed...lingCrisis.html

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your Rambo!!  You are both in my thoughts!!!!

• GimMom likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Nat and Swinn,

Just to keep you guys update about my boy's health issue.

I did check up on TCM in my country for dogs and no surprise there, there aren't any at all. Another forum suggested that I should check my boy if he might be suffering from hypothyroidism but when I discussed it with my vet he flatly refuse to do a panel 5 blood test on him saying my boy at 23 months old (he passed 12/9) is just far too young to suffer from hypothyroidism since my boy did not exhibit any kind of symptoms at all that pointed him to be suffering from hypothyroid. The website I visited greatdanelady.com suggested even if dogs' hypothyroid result is at borderline is still no good.

So, what do you guys think?

BTW, I can buy goat meat here (Boer goat) but it's really expensive! Anyway still bought some. Cut them up into cubes and freezing them to kill any bacteria (seriously, I don't trust the cleanliness in my country's butcher). Bought it just past Sunday and I gave a tiny piece to my boy. Hmm, yesterday evening (Monday) he got the run when I bought him out for his usual 'bombing'. His poo was a little on the soft side. That was about 6ish evening. Then we came back and I gave him his usual raw turkey. Around 9ish he initiated by dragging me to the door. Instantly I knew he needed to defecate. Quickly I took him out and he literally ran to his usual spot and release. It was wet! Like newly melted ice-cream. He didn't do it in one go. He hopped to another spot and let loose again. Not much but still melted like ice-cream poo. After that I took him home and gave him an activated charcoal pill. Then much later we went to bed and somewhere in the middle of the night he was making that vomiting sound. I was too tired to look in on him and slept till morning. When I woke I saw a small puddle of his vomit. No undigested food just yellow bile puddle. I didn't take him to the vet as he wasn't seems to be in pain or listless. We still went out for his morning walk but he didn't defecate. Came back he was eating as usual and even played with my lab girl an hour later.

So, I suspect it might be that tiny piece of goat meat I gave him that gave him the run. But I gave a piece to my lab girl too. Nothing happen to her at all though.

Any take on that please?

Oh, should I do a globulin test on my boy?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How big was the piece of goat meat?

Is he used to red meats?

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Nat,

Really small piece, like 1 1/2 cm long, 1/2 a cm wide and 1/4 cm thick, something like that. I gave it to him while I was cutting up the rest in cubes and it was like remnant from the cutting so I gave him that piece and another piece to my lab girl, in fact the piece I gave to my lab girl was definitely 1 1/2 times bigger than his piece. And yes, he has taken red meat before. I used to give him Indian buffalo meat and lamb/mutton from Australia, (surprisingly the Australian lamb/mutton is cheaper than our local goat!) until past February where he suddenly, mysteriously develop an allergy to it. Do you consider pork as red meat? I gave him before but not for long cos' I was worried of Trichinosis(sp). Also because of the blood test that said he was allergic to the meat.

Another thing is, if my boy is suffering from systemic yeast infection, I'm not suppose to give him sugary foods too right? Like fruits, I gave him blueberries and apples.

Thanks!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Pork is a red meat.

You want to avoid sugary foods at all costs if you're having issues with yeast

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Low glycemic veggies are good if you give them for treats. Gimli liked cucumber, low in sugar and nice and crunchy.
  • Rambo's Mum likes this

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi,im new here but wanted to share some things that worked for my allergy dog.My story is just like yours.At 6 months she started to get bumps on her belly and would itch.I switched her to raw then but she could only eat turkey.We tried prednisone and an antibiotic at that time.But a week later it was back.For another year I tried all kinds of natural products to help her skin.The Nzymes program from the Greatdane lady,oregeno oil,grapefruit seed oil.Probiotics,Nupro,ACV,Solid gold seameaL..and many more.She always had 100s of bumps on her belly and she would itch.And smelled so bad,her skin started to turn black called elephant skin.it was terrible.Nothing was working so I asked my vet for Ketoconazole and an antibiotic to clear her yeast and bacterial infection.14 days on these and a week later it was back!I was heartbroken.I refuse to use anymore antibiotics as they cause the yeast.And wont give prednisone either as its only a bandaid and long term use is not good.I knew there must be something out there to help her.I took her to a holistic vet and we tried TCM for 7 weeks.It did not work.They were all saying use Atopia or prednisone or more antibiotics.I was seriously considering the long term use of these drugs so she could have some quality of life right now.She was miserable for 3 years.She stunk,she itched and she couldn't eat anything except turkey,you could see she wasn't all that healthy no matter what I did.Any how I kept reading and read a post on a lady using 3 supplements that I hadn't tried before.Colostrum,MSM and Quecertin.The colostrum helped heal her gut.The quecertin helps her allergies which start in the gut,etc.which stops the histamine response.The MSM helps with the skin.I did not give the MSM but a couple days but the other 2 I continue to give daily.In three days my girls black smelly bumpy skin was all clear.It was a miracle for us.She really needed immune help and the colostrum did that.I also got a multi vitamin/mineral supp.She still gets coconut oil,fish oil,probiotics but had been using these for years with no improvement.After 2 months of her still being clear ive finally been able to add more meat proteins to her diet.She can eat beef ,pork,turkey and organs too,just not any chicken.Im happy with this,no im over the moon with this!She looks good now has filled out.Yes she still has allergies she always will but no more skin infections and I can mange the slight itching with bathing and an antihistamine for her.If she eats anything else she gets red and raw and itchy and it takes weeks for it to clear.I know not all things will work for every dog,i tried so many myself but the colostrum and quecertain has worked miracles for us.I wish you luck finding what works for your dog I know how hard it is.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi,im new here but wanted to share some things that worked for my allergy dog.My story is just like yours.At 6 months she started to get bumps on her belly and would itch.I switched her to raw then but she could only eat turkey.We tried prednisone and an antibiotic at that time.But a week later it was back.For another year I tried all kinds of natural products to help her skin.The Nzymes program from the Greatdane lady,oregeno oil,grapefruit seed oil.Probiotics,Nupro,ACV,Solid gold seameaL..and many more.She always had 100s of bumps on her belly and she would itch.And smelled so bad,her skin started to turn black called elephant skin.it was terrible.Nothing was working so I asked my vet for Ketoconazole and an antibiotic to clear her yeast and bacterial infection.14 days on these and a week later it was back!I was heartbroken.I refuse to use anymore antibiotics as they cause the yeast.And wont give prednisone either as its only a bandaid and long term use is not good.I knew there must be something out there to help her.I took her to a holistic vet and we tried TCM for 7 weeks.It did not work.They were all saying use Atopia or prednisone or more antibiotics.I was seriously considering the long term use of these drugs so she could have some quality of life right now.She was miserable for 3 years.She stunk,she itched and she couldn't eat anything except turkey,you could see she wasn't all that healthy no matter what I did.Any how I kept reading and read a post on a lady using 3 supplements that I hadn't tried before.Colostrum,MSM and Quecertin.The colostrum helped heal her gut.The quecertin helps her allergies which start in the gut,etc.which stops the histamine response.The MSM helps with the skin.I did not give the MSM but a couple days but the other 2 I continue to give daily.In three days my girls black smelly bumpy skin was all clear.It was a miracle for us.She really needed immune help and the colostrum did that.I also got a multi vitamin/mineral supp.She still gets coconut oil,fish oil,probiotics but had been using these for years with no improvement.After 2 months of her still being clear ive finally been able to add more meat proteins to her diet.She can eat beef ,pork,turkey and organs too,just not any chicken.Im happy with this,no im over the moon with this!She looks good now has filled out.Yes she still has allergies she always will but no more skin infections and I can mange the slight itching with bathing and an antihistamine for her.If she eats anything else she gets red and raw and itchy and it takes weeks for it to clear.I know not all things will work for every dog,i tried so many myself but the colostrum and quecertain has worked miracles for us.I wish you luck finding what works for your dog I know how hard it is.

Hi Pugsrule,

Thank you for your concern and well-wishes for me and my boy.

I gave my boy MSM too. One in the morning and another in the evening 500mg each time. Can I get colostrum and Quecertin from normal pharmacy. It could really worth a try. Yeah, all the vets here still insist to give my boy anti-histamine, preds and antibiotic which I flatly tell them no. Enough is enough with these drugs honestly. I'm trying to get my hands on some plant base digestive enzymes. I bought a kid one just two days back and as usual I make sure I read all the ingredients first, surf it on the net before deciding to give it to my furkid. Luckily I read it. Turns out the kid enzymes contain XYLITOL which is fatal to dogs. I can't imagine what would happen to my boy had I not read it and just give it to him.

Tomorrow I'm going in to the vet and gonna have a war with her to insist she do a panel 5 thyroid test on my boy. It's really funny that she and the other vet refuse to do the test when I'm so willing to pay for it. Really some weird vets I have over in my country.

Low glycemic veggies are good if you give them for treats. Gimli liked cucumber, low in sugar and nice and crunchy.

Hi GimMom,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try to give my boy a cucumber to see if he like that. Previously I gave him butterhead salad but I took that out too cos' I was so paranoid of giving him anything that would bring out his infection.

You know it's so sad that my boy can't eat any normal treats that I've to restrict my lab girl from eating normal treats too. Now I've to sneak treats to my lab girl when my golden boy is sleeping or hiding under the coffee table otherwise he would look at me sadly and accusingly. :(

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I get mine at a health food store,Super supplements.I am using Symbiotics plus colostrum and Aller-aid is the quecertin.It has nettles in it which help with her itching.Are you able to order online if you cant find it in store?

• Rambo's Mum likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Hi GimMom,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try to give my boy a cucumber to see if he like that. Previously I gave him butterhead salad but I took that out too cos' I was so paranoid of giving him anything that would bring out his infection.

You know it's so sad that my boy can't eat any normal treats that I've to restrict my lab girl from eating normal treats too. Now I've to sneak treats to my lab girl when my golden boy is sleeping or hiding under the coffee table otherwise he would look at me sadly and accusingly. :(

Natalie (the owner/admin here) makes her own dehydrated meat treats, here's the link on how to do it:

http://preymodelraw....-and-snacks-r45

I give Gim cucumber like I said, and green beans. He likes both, though he's been getting baby carrots again, so I have to stop that since they have more sugar.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I decided to cut out all processed stuff and started making my own treats. So much easier and affordable and healthier for the girls!

Keep us posted on Rambo's progress. I hope that other suggestions you get here help him!
  • GimMom likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I get mine at a health food store,Super supplements.I am using Symbiotics plus colostrum and Aller-aid is the quecertin.It has nettles in it which help with her itching.Are you able to order online if you cant find it in store?

Hi Pugsrule,

Today I went hunting for Colostrum and Quercetin and found Colostrum but not Quercetin at the local pharmacy but I don't like the ingredients as one of the ingredient has permissible preservative or something like that in it (they won't let me take a picture of it and I don't have a pen to jot it down). Also I saw some milk thistle health supplement in capsule form but it's not purely milk thistle. It has added dandelion.

I'm quite sure I can order online but it will cost me lots of money. Anything ship out from USA to other country especially Asia is going to be very expensive. But I still have an option that is to go into Singapore to find it. They have GNC health store there. So, comes Monday I'll go in and have a look.

BTW Swinn, I'm giving the goat meat to Rambo slowly. I'll update you to see how he is taking it. I gave him this morning as I didn't want him to have the run in the middle of the night should it upset his stomach if I gave him in the evening. I didn't give him much though. 50g together with his turkey meat.

Nat, I'm giving this venison meat treat from USA to my boy 'Real Meat' - Healthy Gourmet Dog & Puppy Treat. I think I'll do as you did too. Make my own treats.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful and concern for my boy's health. It really warms my heart.

P/s Nat, any of your dogs have fleas after on raw? If they do, how do you treat the problem. I was using  Frontline up till last month and stop as it's actually a poison too. It keeps the fleas & ticks at bay but the poison can seeped into the body, so I stopped using it as of this month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO