Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Still Having Food Allergies After Months Of Raw Feeding

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Are you sure this is a food allergy?  Paw licking is common in environmental allergies (allergic to something he is stepping on/in.)  Ear infections are common with any sort of floppy eared dog.  The more floppy, the worse the infection.  Try shaving his ears.  Shave the outside and pluck the hair inside.  This will give the ears more air.  Soak his feet in tea (any kind will work.)  Tea will help draw out the allergens.

• GimMom and Rambo's Mum like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
We don't have any issues with fleas....and never have. So I'm not all that experienced in natural remedies. I refuse to use any topical chemicals either. Do you have an issue with fleas where you are?
  • Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

We don't have any issues with fleas....and never have. So I'm not all that experienced in natural remedies. I refuse to use any topical chemicals either. Do you have an issue with fleas where you are?

Oh yes! Due to our hot and wet climate here, fleas and ticks are rampant. That was why when I first got my boy and on the 'advice' of the vet , I started to use Frontline on him till last month. If the warning on the package said 'Poison' why should I continue to use it on my dog. Wouldn't that mean I've been unintentionally and systemically poisoning him?. So, that was the reason I stopped as of this month but already I caught a flea on him and one on my lab girl when the medicine is no longer on their skin. The bug really gives me the creep. What I do now is boil some cut lemon, steep it overnight then put it in a spray bottle and spray them when I go walking with them. Problem with the lemon juice is, that it get stale very fast. Every 2 days or max 3 days, I've to boil fresh lemons again, and I've to constantly remind myself to spray them before we go walking.

Another issue I would like to seek advice from you is, there was once, I think my boy was around 8 or 9 months old and he swallowed a plastic bottle cap. I can't remember if he pooped it out or not. Now, assuming he didn't poop it out could that plastic bottle cap, would it play havoc with his digestive system? Also, come to think about it, I do notice sometimes his poop still have undigested bones in them. Should I be worried about it?

Kindly please advice me. Thanks Nat and everyone!

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Are you sure this is a food allergy?  Paw licking is common in environmental allergies (allergic to something he is stepping on/in.)  Ear infections are common with any sort of floppy eared dog.  The more floppy, the worse the infection.  Try shaving his ears.  Shave the outside and pluck the hair inside.  This will give the ears more air.  Soak his feet in tea (any kind will work.)  Tea will help draw out the allergens.

I always soak his paws with Solana ACV mixed with water every after walk. Right now he has Malassezia in both ears and I'm treating him orally and topically. I only hope he is healing and going through the 'healing crisis'. No more steroids or antibiotics for him. Got to really clear out his system.

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Re reading this post.Your dog has allergies.To what you may never know.Could be food related environmental ,etcI chose not to have the test done as they can tell me some but not all and are not always accurate.I know my girl is allergic to many things..too many to avoid.What you are feeding sounds good,but are you adding any organs?A raw fed dog does need them.The coconut oil is wonderful for allergies both internal and external.The ACV is great too.You may want to add a vitamin/mineral supp. alsoBeing on antibiotics can cause your dog to get a yeast infection,then your dog was on the ketoconazole for the yeast infection,then steroids,then RXs again.Its a terrible circle where one med.helps one thing but causes another.Right now your dogs immune system is very taxed from all the meds.I know this because I went through the same things,meds with my girl.It takes a long time to restore their bodys balance.I hope you were able to get the colostrum I reced.The quecertin works wonders for allergies too.I do a lot of things to control her allergies,they will never be gone but can be managed.I wash with medicated shampoo,then rinse with the ACV leaving that on.I also will wipe ACV on any itchy areas.And wipe her down with the coconut oil as often as needed,sometimes once or twice a day,sometimes every other day or so.The coconut oil and ACV are both antimicrobial and antifungul and will help tremendously.So you are on the road to recovery,feeding raw,just need to add some organs as they are full of vitamins/minerals.You are adding some good supps.Just need to add a multi vitamin/mineral supp.and any others to help boost the immune system.A probiotic is not enough for that.Keep wipeing rinseing daily to keep the itchy and yeast down.I also have found that an antihistamine really helps my girl when given regularly every day.All these things help keep her as comfortable as she can be,if she eats something she is not supposed to have or we walk in the spring summer when grass or plants are bad,she relapses and it will take weeks to get her clear again.But she gets there its just a never ending daily work to keep the allergies under control.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
If he had a plastic bottle cap stuck in his system you'd know about it.

And I don't think that if it passed long ago that he would still be having issues.
  • Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi pugsrule,

I couldn't find any Quercetin in both country's pharmacy at all. I guess I'll try to order online. Did google about it though and lots of good review on it. I googled this brand AllerEaze for Dog Scratching and Dog Itching from Ask Ariel. Think any good? I can find milk thistle and seems like dandelion is good for dogs too, so would be getting that. Now the Colostrum is a bit difficult. Both country do sell Colostrum but their product is with permitted preservative which I don't like. What is your take on that please?

Sorry Natalie, just need to bug you. Any cause of alarm if I found pieces of bone shards in my boy's poo. Not often just that when he dine on turkey drumsticks he do get them. Does that he mean he is not producing strong or enough stomach acid to digest it? Also it's still hard and sometime sharp which worries me a lot. Please advice!

Hi Swinn, I'm adding raw venison (very expensive burning a hole in my pocket :() into his meal, about 50g for his morning meal, think that would be enough of Omega 3?

Thanks everyone for all the replies and concern. Appreciate it very much!

P/s Can dogs still get candida albican despite being on raw?

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

What is the preservative?Mine is just Bovine colostrum from milk and phospholipids,and gelatin capsules.How about any cow or goat farms where you could get fresh unpasteurized milk colostrum?Some people have no problems with turkey leg bones.I take away the bone as it does splinter for my girl too.So I feed turkey necks instead for bone.You could try smashing the turkey bones so they are already small and still covered in meat.The Aller eaze should be fine,I have not used it but know of another pug that is.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Sorry Natalie, just need to bug you. Any cause of alarm if I found pieces of bone shards in my boy's poo. Not often just that when he dine on turkey drumsticks he do get them. Does that he mean he is not producing strong or enough stomach acid to digest it? Also it's still hard and sometime sharp which worries me a lot. Please advice!

No need to be sorry! 

I wouldn't be worried about that, as I will find bone pieces after feeding the dense leg bones from a turkey to my dogs and they've been raw fed 5+ years. These bones are just super dense and hard to digest, even for a veteran raw eater. 

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

What is the preservative?Mine is just Bovine colostrum from milk and phospholipids,and gelatin capsules.How about any cow or goat farms where you could get fresh unpasteurized milk colostrum?Some people have no problems with turkey leg bones.I take away the bone as it does splinter for my girl too.So I feed turkey necks instead for bone.You could try smashing the turkey bones so they are already small and still covered in meat.The Aller eaze should be fine,I have not used it but know of another pug that is.

Hi pugsrule,

It didn't clarify exactly what preservative. Just said permissible preservative which I don't like the sound of it as it is too vague and vast. I don't know any cow or goat farms here. I manage to buy Milk Thistle from GreenLife USA in capsule form. I broke open the capsule and poured the powder into his food and he hates it. So, I washed away the powder and just give the capsule to him like a medicine. Also I got him Digestive Enzymes which contain Bromelain from Webber Naturals of Canada and found out that Bromelain actually acts as an antihistamine too! :) which I'm very happy about. Also it contains papain which is vital for breaking down protein. I've just started him this two supplement today and only giving him one of each as I'm afraid to overload his body system. Do you know how many I should give my boy per day? He is about 30kg or 60 over pounds in weight.

BTW which brand of Quercetin are you using please?

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Rambos mum,I give my 19 pound girl one capsule a day broken in half over two meals.We have had a relapse here.My son was home from college and had friends over in the game room.Well they eat down there and a whole bag of garbage was left out and Jade got into it and ate god knows what or how much food.Then not 3 days later she ate a small bowl of chili!!Oh its bad..her skin is horribly red and raw,bumps again and she is starting to smell again.And she itches too.Ive been using the ACV and rubbing her down with coconut oil and wiping with witch hazel.It takes months to clear her system and get back on track.She had 4 months of clear beautiful skin,the longest she has ever gone..Its heartbreaking to see them go through this.

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Rambos mum,I give my 19 pound girl one capsule a day broken in half over two meals.We have had a relapse here.My son was home from college and had friends over in the game room.Well they eat down there and a whole bag of garbage was left out and Jade got into it and ate god knows what or how much food.Then not 3 days later she ate a small bowl of chili!!Oh its bad..her skin is horribly red and raw,bumps again and she is starting to smell again.And she itches too.Ive been using the ACV and rubbing her down with coconut oil and wiping with witch hazel.It takes months to clear her system and get back on track.She had 4 months of clear beautiful skin,the longest she has ever gone..Its heartbreaking to see them go through this.

OMG! That's awful pugsrule. I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. Yes, it can be a trying time and stressful for both the owner and her pet. Guess we are both in the same boat now. I wish you and Jade all the best too. Hope she gets well soon.

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Dear Rambo's Mum,

I read your story today. My heart goes out to you. I went thru much the same ordeal with Geronimo, my beloved Redbone Coonhound. He passed away last November. He was twelve years old. I spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out what plagued him. Most of the time it felt like I was chasing spirits around in the night. The conventional vets were absolutely no help. I fired three of them. In fact, they were largely responsible because they insisted I feed him the kibble they sold. Eventually I found a holistic vet that did help and together we were able to restore his health and provide him with a good life for some number of years before his passing. Geronimo suffered from severe food allergies and here are some things I learned and did, maybe it will help you in your endeavor to find answers.

If you are feeding raw, allergy tests are of little value because they test cooked proteins. Not the same as the raw protein. Allergies can come and go. Many times they will develop if a particular protein is fed for too long a time. The only way to confirm a food allergy is thru an exclusionary diet. You must select a protein that is far and away from one the animal has been exposed to and feed it exclusively for six weeks. If no reaction develops, you can add in another and so on. It is an excruciating process, but a necessary one.

Geronimo had diarrhea and was vomiting so badly, at one point he lost up to 12 pounds in weight. He had severe ear infections. His eyes were filled with white- yellow goop. The vets had him on a mega dose of Prednisone and antibiotics, all of which turned him into a Frankenstein. The poor guy had hot-spots all over, he was urinating uncontrollably throughout the house. He was suffering from leaky gut and was experiencing mal-absorption. One vet said I should put him down. It was then I met a holistic vet and things began to change for the better.

I had read somewhere slippery elm, marshmallow root and licorice root would soothe the digestive tract, so I began with one tablespoon of the mixture (powder form) per meal, which was  twice a day. The blend consisted of two to one: two parts slippery elm, two parts marshmallow root and one part licorice root. I gave this to him as I phased out the Prednisone. It worked, the diarrhea subsided and the vomiting stopped. The new holistic vet introduced some Chinese herbal medications intended to remove the yeast from his body. In two weeks his putrid smell and greasy coat miraculously disappeared. She also had me give him a probiotic (bacillus coagulans).

Now here’s the part no one is going to want to hear, but in my case it worked. The doctor insisted we begin an exclusionary diet. I had in the early stages of Geronimo’s difficulty switched him to a raw diet. Although she endorsed and preferred a raw diet, because he was so beat up and run down she had me feed him a limited ingredient, single protein canned food... no filler, no grain, no fruit no vegetables, just venison. Geronimo was nine years old at the time. She had concerns that eating raw under his circumstance might be too taxing. She said if we could identify a couple of novel proteins and get him back up on his feet, we could move him to a raw diet once again. The venison worked like a charm and then I tried rabbit and that worked too. Within about six weeks he had gained back the weight he lost and was putting on even more.

Eventually, he was able to eat raw venison, rabbit and turkey. Geronimo lived happily and we enjoyed several more years together. Eventually he succumbed to cancer. When it comes to food allergies it apperas there is no silver bullet. Success seems to come from not being afraid to try something new and having the patience to stick with it. I wish you and Rambo well. You are both in my prayers.

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I took a look thru Geronimo's medical records for the Chinese herbs I gave him... maybe some help here:

Ecliptex: Chinese herbal formula that is used to protect the liver against damage from environmental chemicals, pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, and other agents. Ecliptex benefits liver damage and inflammation, including hepatitis. I remember he was given this to help with the negative effects of the antibiotics and to ease his withdrawl from the Prednisone.

Huo Xiang Zheng Qi Wan, English Name: Agastache formula: For diarreah, vomiting and spleen health. Must be given 1 to 3 hours away from any probiotic supplement. Must be given in very small amounts and slowly, working up to 1/2 teaspoon twice daily.

Concurrently these herbal medications managed to rid him of the yeast infection that plagued him, as well as the leaky-gut condition. I did have to rinse his ears with organic apple cider vinegar.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I took a look thru Geronimo's medical records for the Chinese herbs I gave him... maybe some help here:

Ecliptex: Chinese herbal formula that is used to protect the liver against damage from environmental chemicals, pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, and other agents. Ecliptex benefits liver damage and inflammation, including hepatitis. I remember he was given this to help with the negative effects of the antibiotics and to ease his withdrawl from the Prednisone.

Huo Xiang Zheng Qi Wan, English Name: Agastache formula: For diarreah, vomiting and spleen health. Must be given 1 to 3 hours away from any probiotic supplement. Must be given in very small amounts and slowly, working up to 1/2 teaspoon twice daily.

Concurrently these herbal medications managed to rid him of the yeast infection that plagued him, as well as the leaky-gut condition. I did have to rinse his ears with organic apple cider vinegar.

Hi henrymichael,

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice with and to me.

I hope I manage to find the right herbs to cure my boy of his food allergies which lead to his skin problems. You are right, conventional vets don't believe in traditional or holistic method. To them all these are just old wives' tales. But didn't they realize when they were young their parents would have use some natural holistic herbs or ways to heal their stubborn ailments. So, if traditional holistic method works for us humans why not dogs. Right!

I just hope now my boy is going through his healing crisis. He is wearing that hateful e-collar. The only time that I allowed him some freedom is when he has his meals or play with my lab girl. After that it's e-collar time as I don't want him to scratch himself till he bleeds.

I've been feeding him Digestive Enzymes and Milk Thistles for almost a week now and am continuing with coconut oil, raw fresh garlic and kids' pre&pro biotics (I'll be getting Cell Lab probiotics for him next week which has 15 strains of good bacs for him!). As for Slippery Elm, both Singapore and Malaysia pharmacy has zero stock of it. At least I can still see some Quercetin but I did not get it as it contains of other stuffs which I don't like. Same goes for Colostrum which contains glucose or dextrose which is actually sugar and also a permissible addictive which is unclear. Both this I'll be going to order online. Thanks to pugsrule she recommended me Oregon Wild Harvest brand which contains only one or two main ingredients not so complicated.

As for your recommendation on the Chinese herbs I'll go to TCM here to find out.

I do realize one thing is when we get a puppy the most important thing is never ever let them be sick for at least the first 6 months of their young lives otherwise they are bound to be on going health issue  for the rest of their lives. Seeing our pets suffer really pains our heart not to mention burning a big hole in our pockets with the unnecessary medical bills which the conventional vet charged us!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I can't remember if you posted this info before or not, but have you had his thyroid function thoroughly checked? Like sent in a full thyroid panel into a lab?

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I can't remember if you posted this info before or not, but have you had his thyroid function thoroughly checked? Like sent in a full thyroid panel into a lab?

Hi Nat,

The result is already out but I've yet to go and collect it. Truth to be told, they didn't really do a full panel 5 thyroid test! And I can bet what the vet's response would be; "See I told you there is nothing wrong with your boy's thyroid!" The vet here don't believe with the 'low normal' thingy. Actually the vet was very unhappy with me when I asked her to visit Dr. Jean Dodd's website hemopet regarding low normal. She firmly claimed there is no such thing as low normal. I'll be going in either late today or tomorrow to collect the result, then I'll keep you guys posted on it.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi all,

Ok, here is the result of my boy's thyroid Can anyone help to interpret. It's obvious the stupid vet did not do as I requested. I wanted a 5 panel test but she only gave me 4. Said that the lab don't do 5. And not surprising at all she said it was 'normal'.

Test Name                                            Result                                   Unit                                Reference Range

T4                                                         15.5                                      NMOL/L                          12.0 - 50.0

T3                                                          0.60                     L              NMOL/L                          1.50 - 3.10

TSH                                                       0.01                     L              UIU/ML                            0.30 - 5.10

Free T4                                                 14.0                                      PMOL/L                           7.7 - 38.6

Honestly I can't make head or tail with the numbers and when I compared this to those shown in Dr. Jean Dodds webpage numbers, they totally looked different. So, I'm stumped.

Anyone want to help?     

P/S - Gim's Mom - I got some organic cucumber for my boy today. He hates it! ;) . On the other hand my lab girl crunch up the whole cucumber :P

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

I can’t help with interpreting the numbers, but if the thyroid test is normal, I can say I’m not surprised. I went thru exactly the same thing you and Rambo are experiencing re: my post… http://preymodelraw....gitation/page-2

Pure bred dogs can be problematic and so many come with genetic defects that give way to food allergies. One of the most challenging (and frustrating) aspects of finding relief is sorting thru the volumes of information (and minutiae) in our world of dis-information… and of course everyone is an expert. Conventional vets are of little help, because they get most of their nutritional knowledge from the pet food companies and they treat all problems with synthetic medications. Conventional vets do not enter the world of holistic medicine because it requires several years of study beyond their doctorate. They’re much too focused on getting into practice so they can pay off their student loans.

Your answers reside within the realm of holistic treatment. You must find a holistic practitioner that understands and deals with food allergies… an individual that can coach you, while you are the quarterback. Personally, I would seek someone that has knowledge with Chinese herbal therapies. I say this because it worked for my guy and he was 8 years old at the time.

Perhaps you could connect with a holistic practitioner who would consult directly with you via an internet exchange? I have used Skype and Facetime on my iPhone with good results.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi pugsrule,

Good news! I found a colostrum in powder form that is purely just colostrum with no additional stuffs in it - Aspen IgmuGen PURE colostrum powder!  It's a product of New Zealand but packed in Malaysia. I'm so excited with the find. It comes in tablet form too but that one has additional stuffs in it like cellulose and magnesium stearate or something like that in it. So, I chose the powder form instead as it consist only of 100% colostrum powder (15% IgG) - no idea what is that though). Question now is how much to feed my boy? In teaspoon or tablespoon? Can I put it in his food? It said here serving size is 5g. Also since this colostrum powder is derived from cow, would it be a problem since my boy was allergic to beef? And on top of that I found this probiotics - CellLabs which has 16 strains of probiotics + prebiotics (FOS)! which looks definitely more potent than the Kids pre & probiotics that only has 3 major strains.

Prior to this two good news I've some bad news too. Both my golden boy and lab girl contracted ringworm :( . Probably got it while walking on wet grasses. Been having freaky weather these past few weeks. Some days it's so hot and humid and suddenly it will be thunderstorm. Also been letting them played with the neighbour's puppy who is still recovering from puppy mange. Not sure if the puppy has ringworms or not.

Anyway pugsrule hope you are reading this, do advice me how much to feed my boy the colostrum. Or if anyone else can help too.

P/s I might just be able to get my hands on Quercetin without going online as one pharmacy here do carry the brand Solaray though they didn't get the Quercetin supplement from the supplier. However they are going to enquire for me. Just keeping my fingers cross and hope it's not too expensive. I've really overspent on all these supplement! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO