Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Still Having Food Allergies After Months Of Raw Feeding

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Rambos Mum.Yea you found Colostrum!I give my 18lb girl one capsule a day.So you could give 2-3 a day?I forgot how much your dog weighs.You really cant over due with colostrum it doesn't have any negative effects.I do sprinkle it in her food or put in a meatball of raw meat.Wow ringworm.Not sure if that can be caught from walking on grass?More than likely from the puppy or another person,animal.It is contagious so beware for yourself.Neem oil,coconut oil may help to rub on..im not really sure as we have never had it.Maybe someone else will chime in with more facts on helping with it.My girls underbelly is looking better.The red raw bumps are going away,slowly but she is looking better.She is still extremely itchy though.As I said one bite of any food besides raw meat sets her off and can take months to get her back to manageability.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi Rambos Mum.Yea you found Colostrum!I give my 18lb girl one capsule a day.So you could give 2-3 a day?I forgot how much your dog weighs.You really cant over due with colostrum it doesn't have any negative effects.I do sprinkle it in her food or put in a meatball of raw meat.Wow ringworm.Not sure if that can be caught from walking on grass?More than likely from the puppy or another person,animal.It is contagious so beware for yourself.Neem oil,coconut oil may help to rub on..im not really sure as we have never had it.Maybe someone else will chime in with more facts on helping with it.My girls underbelly is looking better.The red raw bumps are going away,slowly but she is looking better.She is still extremely itchy though.As I said one bite of any food besides raw meat sets her off and can take months to get her back to manageability.

Hi pugsrule,

Firstly I've to apologise to you for my insensitivities of your woes with Jade. I was so myopic about my own problems that I neglected to ask about Jade's health. I do hope your little girl is on the road to recovery. It's so taxing when our pooches are sick, cos' they can't talk to express their discomfort and we owners have to constantly guess. But I feel that when we owners have a strong bond with our beloved pooches we somehow could sense that something is not quite right with them. Don't you agree? People who don't have pets or who don't really bond well with their pets do not share this kind of 'telepathic' experience. They would even think we are nuts. I don't know about them but I'm sure nuts about my pooches. They are like my children! So once again my apologies to you, pugsrule.

He weighs about 60 pounds so 2-3 teaspoon sounds about right? I haven't started him yet but tonight he will get his first taste of colostrum. I hope he likes it or I'll be forced to force-feed him.

Yup, still using the coconut oil on him orally and topically. Trouble is he love the coconut oil so much that he keeps licking it off, so I have him on the e-collar (yeah he hated the dratted collar with a vengeance. He will grab every opportunity to destroy the e-collar when it's not around his neck. Kinda funny seeing him chasing the cone and smacking it with his paws). Apart from that I just have to wait it out for the ringworm to dry and die off. I'm like a cleaning maniac now. Washing everything and cleaning anything that can be clean.

Do kiss Jade for me, will you? :)

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Rambos mum,just checking on your fur kid to see how he is doing?I hope some things are improving for him.Jade is all clear again.It took almost 3 weeks ,making sure she ate nothing but her raw meat.The slightest bite of anything else can set her off and will take forever to clear.

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Rambos mum,just checking on your fur kid to see how he is doing?I hope some things are improving for him.Jade is all clear again.It took almost 3 weeks ,making sure she ate nothing but her raw meat.The slightest bite of anything else can set her off and will take forever to clear.

Hi pugsrule,

Thanks for asking and sorry for the late reply. Computer got 'fried' last Wednesday when there was a major thunderstorm with frightening lightning. Talk about bad luck! Grrr...was using a new computer! Got it the same day, plug it on then came the thunderstorm and short-circuited it. I was sooooo furious and upset! Anyway don't let me bore you with my ar$e luck. (Am I allowed to cuss? :angry: )

Well, my poor boy not doing any good still. Still itching like crazy. I've to make him wear the hated e-cone for 24/7 except when we were out walking. Otherwise he would scratch himself crazy till he bleeds.

I'm feeding him with pre & probiotics, colostrum, milk thistle, coconut milk, digestive enzymes, some organic apple cider vinegar and on alternate days a clove of garlic. Then once a week shower him with Coatex (which all along he has been using since he was a pup) and then for final rinse was dipping him in brewed black tea which I'd prepared the night before. I'm now waiting for the Seavive and Seacure to arrive and going to try that on him. I made a mistake. Should have ordered the Quercetin together with Seavive and Seacure then the shipping and handling fees would be charge together but now if I'm to order quercetin alone it's gonna cost me a hefty sum.

BTW I found a so-called vet TCM here! Took my boy to see the 'vet' and he diagnosed my boy to have damp heat. Prescribed him with some herbs in capsule form. Just finished two days back but nothing has changed in my boy's condition. The TCM vet did say if it didn't solve the problem maybe I should bring him in for acupuncture! So, what do you think? Any advice please?

P/s So glad to hear Jade is back in the pink of health again!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I would give the herbs a few more weeks to work fully, before taking him back. Things like that can take time to take affect.
  • Rambo's Mum likes this

pugsrule

pugsrule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi.Im sorry your still having issues.No big deal about the quecertin.It sounds like he is getting a lot of stuff right now.Sometimes you may have to go back to basics and start all over from scratch.One protein and no added supps or anything for a couple weeks then add one thing at a time again.Ive had to do this a few times over the years.TCM can take up to 6 weeks to work but you can see some improvement sooner.And there are many variables in them so if the first doesn't work there are others to try.There is a great list of foods to feed for TCM.at Herbsmith.com.its called the food energenics chart.Check it out.Have you rinsed in the apple cider vinegar leaving it on?That is the most helpful for itching for my girl besides the antihistamine (hydroxyzine).Jades raw itchy skin will come and go sometimes if she eats something she shouldn't and she just has an over abundance of yeast and bacteria on her skin (allergies) so its a constant battle,some days weeks are good then POOF! you just never know,lol.It is frustrating and always makes me sad for our dogs,we try everything to keep them healthy.Start over with one protein,nothing else except the TCM and go from there and the bathing of course.:)

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I would give the herbs a few more weeks to work fully, before taking him back. Things like that can take time to take affect.

He has already finished the herbs and I don't see any improvement. :(  I've ordered SeaCure & SeaVive online and waiting for arrival. Hopefully this two supplement would help.

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi.Im sorry your still having issues.No big deal about the quecertin.It sounds like he is getting a lot of stuff right now.Sometimes you may have to go back to basics and start all over from scratch.One protein and no added supps or anything for a couple weeks then add one thing at a time again.Ive had to do this a few times over the years.TCM can take up to 6 weeks to work but you can see some improvement sooner.And there are many variables in them so if the first doesn't work there are others to try.There is a great list of foods to feed for TCM.at Herbsmith.com.its called the food energenics chart.Check it out.Have you rinsed in the apple cider vinegar leaving it on?That is the most helpful for itching for my girl besides the antihistamine (hydroxyzine).Jades raw itchy skin will come and go sometimes if she eats something she shouldn't and she just has an over abundance of yeast and bacteria on her skin (allergies) so its a constant battle,some days weeks are good then POOF! you just never know,lol.It is frustrating and always makes me sad for our dogs,we try everything to keep them healthy.Start over with one protein,nothing else except the TCM and go from there and the bathing of course. :)

Hi pugsrule,

I used to rinse him through with ACV after his bath but didn't see mark improvement.

As for the quercetin, I really would like to get my hands on it to let him try as it's touted to be nature's natural antihistamine. If it works at least it would make him scratch less and not to the point of bleeding that would result in hotspots. It hurts me to see him scratching so crazily. I'm sure you know the feeling too. As mention in my reply to Natalie, I've ordered Seacure and Seavive and waiting for delivery. I really really hope this would work. Right now my boy is trying to scratch himself despite him wearing the hated e-cone! :(

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Ok, today I took some picture of my little boy's condition. It's under his chin. Hope someone can shed some light on what was that he is suffering. It's actually around his muzzle as well. Previously one of the vet said that was due to his saliva. It's call chelitis or something like that. I'm sure the spelling is wrong as I couldn't google it.  

Attached File  IMG_0493.JPG   194.01KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0494.JPG   132.67KB   1 downloads

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Re. Cheilitis; one reference points to a vitamin deficiency or yeast infection as being the possible cause:

Cheilitis is a mouth infection. It is an inflammation of the lips. It usually starts inside the mouth and spreads to the lips.

In hunting dogs, dry chapped lips can be caused by contact with weeds and brush. Dogs or animals with dry lips may irritate them further by constantly pawing and rubbing their face. Cheilitis is recognizable by the serum crusts that form at the haired and smooth parts of the mouth. The skin becomes raw and bare after the crusts peel off. This makes the mouth extremely sensitive. A form of folliculitis can result from involvement of the facial hair. Folliculitis is an inflammation of one or more hair follicles which can lead to an additional problem on top of the cheilitis.

The cold weather of the winter months can aggravate cheilitis. It is important to keep an eye on outdoor pets since they can’t tell you if they have a problem.

An animal that has cheilitis will often stop eating well because of the pain caused by the infection. They may tilt their head to one side to protect the infected side while eating or drinking. They may also begin to drool excessively.

If the cheilitis is left untreated, the corner of the mouth will become dried out and cracked. The lips will begin to bleed and can become extremely painful and infected. As is the case in humans, animals can sometimes develop cheilitis when suffering from certain vitamin deficiencies, such as B2, iron and zinc. In humans and animals the cause can also be a yeast infection.

• Rambo's Mum likes this

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Question: Your troubles began with what you believed to be food allergies. What exactly are you feeding Rambo at present (over the course of a week)?

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Question: Your troubles began with what you believed to be food allergies. What exactly are you feeding Rambo at present (over the course of a week)?

Hi henrymichael,

Thank you very much on the infos of cheilitis. Now I've a clearer picture of what is it actually.

Ok, over the past 7 days I've been feeding my boy this :-

Morning

-----------

250g thawed turkey breast meat (Norbest)

150g thawed venison boneless minute steak  (Silver Fern Farm of NZ)

1 capsule of Digestive Enzyme from Webber Natural

1 capsule of GI Flora Plus (Probiotics Formula) from CellLabs

1 teaspoon of Colostrum from Aspen Nutrition.

1 teaspoon of coconut oil.

Evening

-----------

150g thawed venison boneless minute steak

300g + - of turkey parts with bones

1 capsule of milk thistle

1 teaspoon of colostrum

1 teaspoon of coconut oil

On alternate days I will add into his food  a clove of chopped up garlic.

The supplement like Milk thistle, colostrum, digestive enzymes and probiotics are all newly add in items after I read from you guys. Am I missing anything else?

My boy definitely has yeast infection. He got Malassezia in April (if I remember correctly) and till today he still has it. Oh, and he almost finish his itraconazole course.

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi all,

Just to keep you guys updated on my boy's situation and condition. Alright, some of you may not agree or even be aghast with what I did to my boy but I'm leaving no stones unturned. I'll just have to try everything to help him.

I had a long chat with one of the vet whom initially was reluctant to do a thyroid test on my boy. She did told me she finally visited Dr. Jean Dodds website, which I had so persistently asking her to, regarding hypothyroidism in dogs and read up on it and had to admit and agree that there is such a thing, that is - young dogs 'DO' suffer from hypothyroidism! I was so relieved and happy she did.

Although the thyroid test result was inconclusive which I did with another vet, we still come to the same agreement that we will put my boy on thyroxine!

So, we started my boy on thyroxine just past Sat evening with 10 tabs of 100microgram each split into 2 times a day. I'm just keeping my fingers cross that it is his hypothyroid that is wrecking his gut that causes leaky gut syndrome, which in turn leads to his 'food allergies'.

I really praying very hard that this would work and if it works then we know for sure hypothyroid was the main culprit to all my boy's problem!

Keeping my toes and fingers cross!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Please keep us posted! I really hope that this works for him! 

• Rambo's Mum likes this

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Dear Rambo's Mom,

My heart goes out to you and believe me when I say I know what you're going thru because I did. We search endlessly for an explanation only to find more questions and only to see our best friend and companion feel their worse. Please don't take any of my comments the wrong way, they are intended to help...

Although the thyroid test result was inconclusive which I did with another vet, we still come to the same agreement that we will put my boy on thyroxine!

While it's true that improper thyroid function can lead to leaky gut syndrome (and vice versa) I do not understand why you would administer synthetic meds without conclusive test results. Doing so would only place more strain on an already compromised immune system. Maybe time to rethink this. I had my guy tested (he was around 9 years old) and the test was negative. His thyroid had nothing to do with his leaky gut. Besides the meds could inhibit the use of herbal treatment or therapy.

I would like to place the blame on having fed my guy a kibble diet and listening to all the crap the vets kept handing me through the years, but I have come to the realization that it may only have been part of our problem. I am now believing that my guy was genetically predisposed and that is the hardest "pill to swallow" because there was no permanent cure to his food allergies. The best I was able to do (and I pride myself) was stay ahead of the curve; which meant rotating proteins frequently, keeping up with digestive supplements and following herbal therapies. He was pretty much on an exclusionary diet for the last 4 or 5 years of his life and later on I couldn't feed him raw because it was just too much for him. We did however solve his leaky gut problem.

First thing I did was I found a holistic vet that understood the problem. Her name is Kathy Evans and her practice is in Concord, New Hampshire www.holisticvetcenter.com  Perhaps you could connect with someone locally, or find a holistic vet willing to consult you. This I believe is really important.

The key to solving leaky gut syndrome is to first quell the inflammation of the digestive track. I used a combination of slippery elm, marshmallow root and licorice root powders. Two parts slippery elm and marshmallow root to one part licorice root. One tablespoon per meal. I mixed it right in with the food.

I fed my guy a high end, single protein ingredient (bland) canned food. I think it was a Purina product (designed for the application). I suppose you could cook, but you really need to get the balance correct and it must be bland. I chose a novel protein that was not something he had, or was used to. I started with rabbit and also used venison. You've been feeding venison, so I'd stay away from it for a while.

Kathy prescribed two chinese herbal medications intended to cleanse the liver, kidneys and eradicate the yeast. She also had us use Lactobacillus sporogenes (see this article: http://www.whole-dog...em_15932-1.html) Unlike L. acidophilus and similar strains, L. sporogenes reproduces rapidly, so it acts faster in keeping yeasts and fungi in check. Some human product lines, such as Thorne Research, carry L. sporogenes supplements, which can be safely given to dogs. I also gave my guy an herbal wellness mix daily that contained a prebiotic.

I found that numerous times I needed to drop back and reevaluate. Each time it meant starting from square one. Having a coach really makes a big difference too.

Keep your chin up.

Best,

HM

• Rambo's Mum likes this

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi HM,

Thanks for your concern for my boy's health. I understand where you're coming from but I'm sure you know how a fur parent's feeling were seeing our little fur kids suffering. Anything or method that can help to lessen my boy's suffering I would try. I didn't go back to the 'TCM' as I don't find him that effective. He was rather quite vague with the name of the herbs he gave me. I wasn't that comfortable. Besides his fee wasn't cheap.

I do have my reserves as well concerning medication but I myself is a sufferer of hypothyroid for many years and the symptoms that my fur boy has are remarkably similar to mine and that is why I want let him try this thyroxine for a while. Anyway I've only given him 2 1/2 days worth of dosage and I've taken him off since SeaVive arrived and I've immediately put him on it. Just started yesterday evening. I'll be monitoring him and also am waiting for SeaCure to arrive too. Hopefully this two supplement will really help him.

HM, in my country novel meat are extremely expensive. There is no way I could afford it. Not to mention it's expensive it's super rare to get it. I couldn't even find kangaroo, emu or ostrich meat in Singapore don't even talk about in my home country. Even rabbit meat cost a bomb. So, to rotate novel meat for my boy is almost impossible. You know, our local goat meat is even more expensive than mutton imported from Australia or NZ. I'm not rich, I couldn't afford to get him those kind of meat. The best I could do is turkey and venison. Even so, venison is really pricey. It cost me S$21.00 per kg. And my boys eats a lot! So you can imagine the food bill just for him alone.

I've read up on whole dog journal too and as you said they talked a lot about probiotics. I'm giving my boy CellLabs which has 16 strains of probiotics but unfortunately there are no L. sporogenes but there are some very good ones.

BTW have you heard of DigestaCure  http://digestaqure.com/pets/ for pets and LongLife - supplement for pets? www.longlifepetsupplements.com/autoimmune-disease-treatment.php

Do give me your view on this two products. Or anyone else have used these supplements on their pet? Would love to hear your views regarding this two supplements.

Cheers and thanks!

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi all,

Does anyone of you deworm your dogs the natural way? If yes how or what do you guys used to deworm your dogs? Love to hear some suggestions and advice here.

Thanks all!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Ground pumpkin seeds or DE can be used for natural deworming

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Rambo's Mum, I have no input on what could be causing his problems, but I want to make sure I make a post, so I can keep up on his progress. It is so frustrating when our babies are hurting and they can't tell us what is wrong!

Natalie, good to know about the pumpkin seeds. :)

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi all,

Some interesting updating here about my boy's problem.

Last week I have to go outstation and sent my fur-babies to a pet shop for boarding and got to know the shop owner. I told him about my boy's plight and he advice me to use ginger water on my boy. When I came back a few days later I did what the pet shop owner told me. I brewed some old ginger water then dabbed some under my boy's chin and around his face. Also I poured the rest into a spray bottle and spray him with it. Guess what? That whole evening he hardly scratch his chin or bite his groin or paws. I was quite excited but dare not be overly confident as it could be those Seavive, probiotics, coconut oil and quercetin working that I've been feeding him. So, I did that the next day after our walk. I sprayed it on all the affected areas and throughout the day he hardly scratch or self-mutilate! Then I remembered the TCM doc told me my boy has damp- heat which is actually wind! So, I did something even more outrageous. I fed my boy that evening some mince ginger with his food. Not much, about the size of my top segment of my little pinkie. That whole night he slept like a baby! Seeing some positive result I continued with this new method. Every meal I'll mince up some old ginger and add it to his food and he gobble it all and he continued not to scratch so frequently and viciously. Then more promising news. The vet that I used to visit opened a new branch and this new branch has Laser Therapy treatment for animals and it's free for the whole week as promotion. I took my little lab girl there for treatment first and I must say it looks very very promising indeed. My little lab girl was infected with ringworm on both her back leg and it's taking very long to heal because she kept biting it despite me putting bandages on her. One treatment only and the next day I saw the swelling and redness recede to pinkish almost back to her normal skin color. I did that just past Sunday and today, Tuesday,  I took both my fur kids there - my little lab girl for her second treatment and my little boy his first treatment. I'll wait till tomorrow and see any further improvement in both my furkids and I'll post again. Truly I'm so excited! I do hope the ginger and this laser treatment can really cure my boy.

Wish me luck please everyone!

P/s - To Jordann - Thanks so much for your input and concern. I really appreciate it and do need a listening ear or in this case 'reading eyes'. LOL! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO