Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Vet Visit

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

DH just called me from the waiting lanes for the ferry... 

He and Buck are on their way home from the vet and DH is NOT happy. Apparently, when he scheduled the appointment, DH did not make sure to say that we want an appointment with OUR vet so he got one of the Army vets (as in veterinarian, not veteran). It's just the base vet, but one of the best vets in the area works there a few days a week so we go across the Sound to see her at the base clinic since it's WAY cheaper than our pony's vet which is right down the street even with the ferry fees.

WELL, the vet he got today tried to tell him repeatedly that Buck's rabies vaccine was already expired (It's not. I am VERY careful about rabies dates and I have their files here at home with me in the event we have an emergency and need to take one of them to the e-vet (the pony's vet down the road. Even the receptionist could see that it was not expired. Then the guy got pushy.

"Well, if you're going overseas you need to blah, blah, blah." 

DH cuts him off and informs him that, no, we're NOT going overseas and, if we were, that it would have been taken care of according to those standards. 

Then he checks Buck's teeth... 

"Oh, his teeth are so white and clean! He must be young. How old is he?"
"He turned 4 in March."

"He got lucky in the teeth department. Most dogs have tartar buildup by now. Brushing a dog's teeth will help them stay clean. Do you brush your dog's teeth?"

Now, here I feel I should add that my husband is not easily cowed by others and we are both at the point in raw feeding where we don't hide it anymore. We don't gush about it to everyone we meet, but, if someone asks, we answer with the the facts. When he was telling me this story, I could just see him standing in the vet's office getting more and more irritated by this man. When DH starts to lose patience, his voice gets flatter and flatter (he's a very outgoing, animated person) until he is speaking in the funniest deadpan voice I have ever seen. I can easily see that he's just done, but the person he's talking to usually doesn't. He's also not the type to snark at someone either (like I am... It's not a good habit). Apparently, this is something he learned from me (minus the lack of snark). I didn't even know it until a mutual friend we've both known for many years informed told us we both do the same thing when we get irritated, but that DH didn't used to do that.

"No, we don't because we give them turkey necks to clean their teeth." (Now he KNOWS he's opened a can of worms)

"Oh, oh. Turkey necks? Well, you need to be really careful with those. They could choke."

"Uhuh. We supervise them while they eat." I could feel the desire to resort to snarkiness. 

"Well, I see here your dog doesn't have all of his vaccines." 

And that's when he apparently launched into the vaccine speech.

"Well do you plan on getting a puppy anytime soon?"

"Nope."

"Well, if you do..."

"We aren't."

"Well, if you have friends with a puppy..."

"We don't."

After all of the garbage that went on, this vet didn't even notice that both of Buck's ears are infected. DH didn't bring it up when he didn't notice because, when yo have a hound, you have to know how to get rid of ear infections (and, preferably, prevent them in the first place) and he wanted nothing more to do with this vet after getting Buck's rabies vaccine.

What is so strange to me is that, even after telling this vet that we normally go to the civilian vet (who is the raw feeder who used to have Smooth Collies and talks about bulk orders of meat with us and where to get the best deals) and have discussed every aspect of our dogs' care with her, he still wouldn't give up on all this. I know that, even when one vet raw feeds and another doesn't, they can't always agree to disagree, but our vet is very well respected in her field. I would think that, when a client says that they've discussed these things with their regular vet, the other would respect that and back off. DH said that this guy just felt like he had no idea what he was doing and that, if he was there for something other than a routine vaccine, he would have walked out the door and rescheduled for a day our own vet was there.

Anyway, this is more just a vent since just hearing the story irritated me. The sounds of wrapping paper could be heard in the background while he was on the ferry so I am just going to think about my Dairy Queen ice cream cake and watch the new season of Adventure Time DH gave me last night :) It's my birthday and the temporary vet who'll probably never even see my dog again ain't botherin' me!

Cookies to all who read this :) I know it was long.

• naturalfeddogs, Furypn and Bellipn like this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ooooo Happy Birthday!! Ice cream cake!! Nomnomnom......enjoy your day!!
  • Iorveth, Furypn and Bellipn like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I will, thanks! They aren't even home yet since they got caught in Friday traffic, but they were close when he called a few minutes ago. I think we'll just take the boat out. We live on a bluff over the ocean so we'll probably just spend the rest of the day on the water. It's crab season and salmon season just opened up so I think we'll drop the crab pots and fish then check the pots before we come in. With luck, we'll have a nice seafood dinner! Crab, for sure, but the salmon are just getting started on their run past our house.

And, with that, they just walked in the door!

• Bellipn likes this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Man that sounds like a great day to me!! Sending good vibes your way for a seafood catch.
  • Iorveth and Bellipn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

First,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! :D Sounds like Hubby kept his cool real well! If it were Wayne, who has NO filter, things wouldn't have been so nicely said. I promise! 

• Iorveth and Bellipn like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Man that sounds like a great day to me!! Sending good vibes your way for a seafood catch.

We didn't end up going. He got home and neither of us felt like descending the Stairs of Death (literally 204 steps down the bluff that are nearly vertical). They make for a great workout, but we'd had a late night the night before and were both tired. We ARE dropping pots today though once the tide is high enough, which should be soon. I shall take those vibes and use them today!

First,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! :D Sounds like Hubby kept his cool real well! If it were Wayne, who has NO filter, things wouldn't have been so nicely said. I promise! 

THANKS!!! See, I'm the one with no filter. DH has had to put up with a lot of garbage from people he's worked with in the Navy and he HAS to have a filter. It's made him a really tolerant person which is great because I am not so tolerant. I do the same thing he does where my voice gets flatter, but I can't seem to be able to get through a situation like that without opening the floodgates on my sarcasm. People KNOW I'm irritated with them when they start being stupid. DH has been able to rein me back in on numerous occasions where I let my mouth get the better of me. It's a problem I've always had., but I have a much better handle on it now!

• naturalfeddogs and Bellipn like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Happy belated birthday! :)

As for the vet experience... GRRR. I'm not sure if I would have "lost it" or "shut down" and left. I try to not be ugly with people, but its a work in progress.

• Bellipn likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I think he just kind of figured that it wasn't worth it. He only had to deal with this vet because he forgot to schedule an appointment with our actual vet. It was just a rabies vaccine. He said the guy just didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about and it gave me the impression that it was someone who would religiously stick to what he was taught no matter what someone said or how healthy the dog in front of him was. This was the best Buck has ever looked going in to the vet. Our vet's never felt he was too thin health wise, but he was always thinner than we both would have liked. She has always understood because she's had worriers and she's had dogs that can just drop or gain weight at a moment's notice. Both of my dogs have incredible metabolisms, but Iorveth doesn't worry all the time so he holds weight better than Buck does. 

• Bellipn likes this

zippereatsraw

zippereatsraw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

wow that's stressful!!! The clinic I take my dog to has like a millions vets so we see a different one every time!!! Mind you Zipper is only 4 and hes really healthy so I've only gone in for the yearly wellness exam but all the vets there try to push the kennel cough vaccine, and Lyme disease vaccine, and what ever other ones are out there, They don't know I've switched to pmr from commercial raw cant wait to tell them!!! I am really considering finding a new vet and I did find an integrative one but her fees are stupid!!!  But I think its worth the extra expense because they probably Titer, and have a lot of treatments that are non chemical, or invasive. 

• Bellipn likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

We got lucky with ours. She works a few days a week at the really cheap on base vet clinic at our last base across the Sound. It is cheaper for us to drive to the ferry, pay the ferry fees, drive to the vet, pay the bill, and come back than it is to use our pony's vet which is right down the street. It takes several hours, but we used to live over there so we make a day of it. I didn't go this time because it was my birthday and I wanted to stay in bed, but Buck was thrilled because it was just him and Dad for several hours. He is absolutely my husband's dog and, because Buck is not nearly as easy to take places as Iorveth is, he doesn't get to go places as often. And even better when Mom isn't there to tell him to be quiet and her dog (Iorveth) isn't there to terrorize him (Iorveth LOOOOVES Buck and jut can't leave him alone)! Dad lets him get away with murder.

Anyhow, the only reasons we use the vet we do for the pony are because being a client has helped us get to know the people that run the large and small animal emergency clinic that is just minutes from our house (where we would take the dogs in an emergency) and because the clinic is very close to the barn. We are 7 miles from the barn and the vet is 6.8 miles from our house and 1.7 miles away from the barn. If there were a horse version of our dogs' vet, we'd go to her in a heartbeat! She's just an awesome vet. 

Our vet does have a civilian practice that she works at most days of the week so that's always an option, but it is far more expensive. We also don't know for sure where we are going to settle down after his contract's up with the Navy in a couple of years. He's looking into several different things and, if the Police Department is the route we settle on, then he would be working in the same town his base is in, but, if not, we could be moving to en entirely different area or even different state. 

• Bellipn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO