Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Shadow Got Fixed......

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Shadow has been having aggression issues that were getting worse and worse as he gets older. He keeps jumping on three of our other dogs. Lucky and Reba are pretty defensless against him, but Aussie always fights back hard, and then either me or Wayne were separating them, getting ourselves bit pretty good in the process. It got to where it was a fight a day, and growing. The only one he would never so much as even growl at is Copper. He LOVES her. Everytime she got a bath and her smell changed, I guess he thought she was in heat so for the next three days or so he was acting like she was ready to breed any minute, and would about wear himself out trying. She's spayed, so it wouldn't do him any good anyway. 

Anyway, we had enough and it was time to get him neutered. I took him, and just getting him in the door at the vet was a trip. He spun around behind it, and the door made a "pop" sound like it was coming off the hinges. Then, once in the door, he pooped these four tiny turds an slung them in four different directions on the floor. I got him all checked in at the desk, and also warned them that he is NOT stranger friendly in any way, and has aggression problems, which is why we are having this done. To tone him down several notches. The receptionest thanked me for telling them. OK. Warning given.

I go back after work to pick him up. Pay for it, and they go back there to get him. All of a sudden, techs and a couple doctors go running through the door to the back for some sort of emergency. Nobody comes back out for a bit, and when they do, the receptionest tells me that Shadow has just bitten one their techs in the face and sent him to the hospital!!!!  :startle: I felt like falling on the floor and crying right there. I have never felt so bad in my life. They assured me it's part of the job, which I understand but, dang. Really??? One of mine did that???? They said the hospital may want to call and talk to me but I haven't heard anything. That's good I guess?

On a good note now, Shadows attitude is already improving greatly. He still has a way to go I'm sure, but a huge attitude adjustment so far...... :thumbsu:

• RichardRes likes this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oh man! Is everyone involved alright? I am glad to hear it is helping with Shadow! That will be one less thing to worry about. Fingers crossed everything turns out all right!
  • RichardRes likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I called the clinic a few days later and checked on the tech. They said he was still sore, but would be fine. Still, I feel so bad about it.

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ya i can understand, but he was also coming out of surgery which is real scary for them. Even the most calm dogs can strike out when stressed. I am just glad everyone is good.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

How scary! It's one of those situations where you understand why a dog lashed out, but you feel like you should have done more to make sure they weren't so stressed as to feel that they had to. The vet is scary to some dogs. Even Iorveth, who has been socialized out the wazoo, hates the vet. He did finally start to make friends with our vet this last time, but he still doesn't like it. For him, part of it is just the aloofness of the breed, but the vet really can have a negative impact on even the nicest of dogs. I honestly can't fault a dog for panicking at the vet. It's a bunch of strangers taking from their people and doing all kinds of horrible things to them. In Shadow's case, he woke up from surgery. 

It's not something you can really prepare for and work on like you can when you take a dog to Petsmart or anywhere else in public. The vet just doesn't have the time and it's not the waiting room my dogs have issues with. We hang out in pet stores and make friends with the employees and other locals and we have even been asked to help with a Petsmart class when they needed friendly large dogs to help some smaller dogs get over their fear. Our dogs are just fine in places like that. We have taken them to Whaling Days and Viking Fest and, other than Buck's fear of marching bands that are so loud the ground vibrates, they are total rock stars. When my mom and younger brothers were up here last month we took them to the Falls and to all sorts of dog friendly, but busy touristy places. 

The vet though... Different story.

If the hospital wanted to talk to you, I would imagine it would be what they asked us about. When Dude nailed DH a few years ago when DH got in the way of a warning snap aimed at his brand new, baby Buck (he thought Dude was actually going to bite Buck and Dude just opened his hand a little with a canine tooth. Total accident), they just wanted to make sure that he was being kept home in quarantine for the required ten days and then they called at the end to make sure everything was copacetic. They didn't even actually ask us if it was our dog. They asked if the dog that bit him was up to date on the rabies vaccine, but didn't ask us for proof. 

Incidents like that is actually why I vaccinate for rabies. With the vaccine(even though they didn't ask for proof), it was just a ten day, at home quarantine to make sure nobody was passing rabies around. I think it would have been a lot bigger of a deal if he hadn't been vaccinated. Maybe the reason they didn't call you is because the vet staff was able to give them that information directly.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

And now I see that this was posted a few weeks ago... I'm sure that, if they haven't called you by now, they won't call you at all.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

No, they won't call at this point I'm sure. It's just a hazard of the job. But, I did warn them, and you would think they would be able to read his body language. He was making it VERY clear his intentions if given the chance. 

• TRDmom likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

I go ahead and muzzle my dog when we're in for vaccines since he doesn't like be cornered by strangers. It may be overkill, he so far has behaved when I've been there, but its as much for his protection as theirs (he can't get in trouble for biting someone if he's muzzled).

Don't feel bad. If they were warned, a lot of culpability is on them.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

They were well warned, by me and Shadow. I think it was carelessness on the techs part. From now on, I bet they muzzle him! 

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Training for bite inhibition is the single most important thing a dog owner can do in a dog's entire life. 

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
He was nueterd, and has had a huge attitude change. His nuts were his problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO