Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello All!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
First I'd just like to say thank you for having "us" .. Just would like to say a "Hello," from myself and my fur baby Duke our 11 month old boxer.

We just started our raw journey almost 4 weeks ago!
Just a little background story with how I finally tossed the kibble... (Donated to the spca) ; I have had Duke since he was 8 weeks old, I knew going into owning a boxer that the breed can have potential health issues, but holy crap I didn't think I'd be spending every month at the vets.. Where do I start with the problems - shedding, poor coat, lack of energy, never having consistent stool... I don't believe I ever went an entire week of "normal" poop... Heck I don't even know what normal poop looks like..He is 20lbs under weight, so skinny.. Oh and he itched like crazy! I tried high end kibble, not so high end kibble, no potato, with potato, novelty proteins, grain free, no chicken... Etc etc.. With no prevail, all resulting in the same thing.

I have had one hell of a time with vets -even to the point of changing, one vet suggested if things don't get better we may have to euthanize him! Hence the switching of vets.. Blood work has been done, fecal tests,TLI folate combalamine testing etc etc.. All coming back clear! Medication never helped.. Anyways..the boxer forum group has been a blessing as well, the first response from an experienced breeder was "raw"... So here I am! Just looking for more valuable information and answers to questions I have that pop up as I go.

Wait that was suppose to be short story right lol.( I like to ramble) .. Being Duke has a really sensitive stomach we are on the path of slow and steady with each protein - week 4 still on chicken, I went from taking skin off first two weeks, now we are at every other meal with skin.. His poops have been really good! Never thought I'd have to "search" for poops in the yard, so tiny... I have noticed with adding the skin his poops are a little more soft.. Will he adjust eating more skin daily? Has anyone had a dog with IBD and have conquered it with raw? Even on week 4 I can tell he is changing.. The more energy is a little daunting lol

Anyways here is a picture of my boy-you can see how skinny he is, this is my first dog ever! and I had to have a boxer... Call me crazy! Lol Don't know if id own anything else now.. They're like chips! One isn't enough.lol

Thanks for the help looking forward to reading more helpful advice!

Attached Files

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Dogs didn't evolve eating man made processed food out of a bag. With raw, I think you will see really good results. If you have been on raw for four weeks now, I would go ahead and move on to turkey. You can go with necks, wings or drumsticks.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Welcome! I used to have a boxer. She was such a good dog! Yes, they shed quite a bit, drool and are gassy. I wish I had done a full raw diet with her, it probably would have helped with some of that.

If your sweet boy is doing OK with chicken, I would see how he does with another meat. Chicken seems to produce looser stool with my dog. He does better with red meats (e.g. goat, beef, deer). 

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Welcome! Love the sweet lil puppy face! 😄

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
So yesterday I gave Duke chicken with skin on, and later in the evening I experienced canon butt! :( will he get to a point of being able to eat skin? He has an extremely senesetive tummy. Is there another route I should take with the skin? As for the turkey will I remove the skin too for the first bit?

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

My mom has a Boxer that has horrible allergies. I told her not to take the BYB Boxer because the breed already has issues with allergies and boy has she made her vet a lot of money! He's been a good vet who has turned her onto higher and higher quality kibbles rather than Science Diet, but they still struggle with allergies. She can come in from a potty trip outside covered in hives. Allergies aside, my mom has fallen in love with the breed. Charlie is a tiny little thing that wasn't supposed to survive long enough to even be weaned from Mom, but she will be 5 years old in December. In the past, all of my mom's dogs have just been pets, but Charlie is her baby. She sends me more pictures of Charlie than she sends me of my younger brothers! She is a one dog person so she doesn't want more Boxers, but she DOES want her next dog to be a Boxer when Charlie is gone. She is definitely hooked on the breed. 

Anyhow, Duke is a handsome boy. Even underweight in the second picture, he still looks like a lovely dog. And that last picture! Oh, his puppy dog eyes could give my hound a run for his money in that department!

I claim that I have no interest in owning a Boxer, but every time I see one I find myself drawn to them. Well bred, they can be SO nicely built. I like an athletic dog and the Boxer sure fits the bill! I doubt I will ever own one since my list is long and Boxers are not at the top, but I do so enjoy admiring the Boxers of others. They can be so regal looking when they aren't being dopey and goofy. Most Boxers I know make being goofy their top priority!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

So yesterday I gave Duke chicken with skin on, and later in the evening I experienced canon butt! :( will he get to a point of being able to eat skin? He has an extremely senesetive tummy. Is there another route I should take with the skin? As for the turkey will I remove the skin too for the first bit?

My Dude had a sensitive stomach. When you introduce skin, leave more and more on as he adjusts until you can feed it to him without skinning it. Dude's transition was VERY slow. Some just need longer. Keep in mind that this could be an ongoing thing his entire life. Dude always had to have things introduced to him painfully slowly or we ended up with cannon butt. Things he was used to were fine, but new things could upset his stomach.

I see that you have been on chicken for a while. Something to consider might be trying another protein. When my Xolo was a puppy, we spent a few weeks on chicken and things just weren't progressing. I gave up on chicken and tried turkey. Within a couple of days the cannon butt was completely gone. He just couldn't tolerate chicken for some reason. Keep in mind that Duke could just have a sensitive stomach and the new protein might backfire on you (literally!), but it worked for my guy. We've never experienced that kind of intolerance with another protein. Just chicken.

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Yes! BYB boxers... I defiantly own one. I should have turned around the first time I went to these "claimed" breeders, I should have done my homework.. And I defiantly try to educate others.. I find where I live people tend to be close minded and have the mentality " a dog is just a dog and there is more of them where that one came from," after seeing Duke I should have went else where.. But my other half says I have the need to "save" things.. And although I know now that regardless of my claimed awareness I just supported these fools... I think to myself where would this boy be now had I not taken him home...i have little saved in the bank due to his boy, lol I suppose my trip to Mexico will wait..but I love him to bits. Anyways my next dog which will be a boxer which will be health tested fully with both parents fully tested as well...

He is such a sweetheart, sometimes I forget his a dog.. So much personality.

With the turkey do I remove the skin for a week or so? I have some turkey legs in my freezer ready to go... If all goes well can this be used as his bone in meals instead of chicken? Are turkey bones easy for dogs to eat? I live on a beef farm well my parents do, I'm pretty excited about that protein as I'll have a free supply... They have a few hearts saved for me, also they have tounge- has anyone given tongue before?
  • Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

You know, what's done is done. You made a big mistake by bringing Duke home with you, but you did and now you know better. You have him and you love him and that's what matters now. My mom can't imagine life without Charlie. She was bred by some friends. Dad was a pretty good example of a Boxer. Mom had no business being bred as far as conformation goes, but was sweet as pie. In the end, they have turned out to be far above what other BYB Boxers I have come across. Some BYB Boxers are just ugly as sin. I think Duke got lucky in the looks department. He's a looker.

I thought for years that Dude, my Smooth Collie, was from a BYB. I picked his breeder out when I was 13 and we drove the couple of hours to pick up a puppy. Smooth Collies aren't exactly a prime choice for BYBs, but, looking back it had all the signs of one. I found out a few years ago that his breeder actually is involved with some of the top Collies in the area and that Dude's nephew (same breeder) was lighting up the show ring in the state. I still thought I had a BYB Collie for MANY years.

My mom will be living on her own in a few years as my youngest brother is 14 and I keep telling her that, since she is hooked on the breed, she needs a nice, big, well bred male to deter any ne'er-do-wells. A fawn with lots of chrome! I prefer brindles with lots of chrome, but I think teeny, tiny, little Charlie (also a fawn with a snip), would look really nice paired with a big, flashy, fawn male. 

I know what you mean about forgetting he's a dog. My Xolo is the same way.

With the turkey do I remove the skin for a week or so?

--- Since he has been having such a hard time, I would remove the skin at first. I really hope switching to turkey works for you. It was such a relief when the cannon butt stopped!

If all goes well can this be used as his bone in meals instead of chicken?

---If they are bone in pieces, absolutely. It works the same way as chicken, just a different bird. 

Are turkey bones easy for dogs to eat?

​---My raw fed dogs were between 60 and 75 lbs and the only bone some of them didn't like was the leg bone. It seems to depend on the dog as far as whether or not they'll eat the leg bone or not. I got to the point where I just stripped the bone out of the leg and saved the meat for boneless meals later. I also did remove the skin and the majority of the breast in the beginning. The breast you can eat yourself or save for boneless meals later. My Xolo puppy was able to crunch through the rest of the carcass without issue. I have a thread somewhere on here titled "Iorveth" and I believe it has pictures of him gnawing on a turkey carcass.

I live on a beef farm well my parents do, I'm pretty excited about that protein as I'll have a free supply...

---Jealous!

They have a few hearts saved for me,

​---Hearts are "richer" for lack of a better term. You'll want to introduce them very slowly as well. My sensitive dog never could handle a lot of heart (other than poultry hearts) in one meal. Buck ate heart a LOT for a while because it was so easy for us to get. I'd love to find a regular supply again. Iorveth never got a lot because we moved not long after we got him. 

also they have tounge- has anyone given tongue before?

---I have. I can't remember if it's "richer" than plain ol' muscle meat, but it is very chewy and tough and difficult for a dog to eat. It makes a wonderful, time consuming meal, especially thawed. Frozen, they can shear pieces off more easily, but thawed makes them work harder. I can't remember how they reacted to it, but I remember one dog having to be convinced that it was okay to eat. Some dogs are weird about textures. I'd feed tongue more often if I could get it regularly.

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
So I decided to stick chicken out for a bit longer with the skin, I must have given him too much too fast, today and yesterday the chicken quarter was pretty well covered in skin just a bit of fat cleaned up, and his poops were fantastic! I'm pretty sure by now my neighbors must think of me as nuts.. I'm always out there on poop patrol... If dukes having a solid turd im like giving a standing ovation lol such a good poop Duke ! Ooh good poop Duke! Yay!! Lol it's a sick fetish I tell ya!
But I love it... Dukes always had the runs on kibble.. So its easy to be excited..
Tomorrow I'm going to give turkey a go..

I have a stock pile of turkey legs... What are other parts of the turkey that can be fed and what to stay away from? I'm calling a place about turkey necks.. But in the meantime I'll be going to the grocery store they always have turkey super cheap pre packaged.
  • Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Poop talk is normal in our house. When one of us brings a dog in from outside, the other asks, "How was it?" and the other replies with the appropriate answer: "Perfect!", "Soft serve", "Cannon butt", "Rabbit turds", or whatever. We lost our dog with the sensitive stomach two months ago today so the answer is usually "Perfect!" now that he's gone. It was strange at first, but now we don't even think twice about casual poop conversations!

As far as I know, any part of the turkey can be fed. When my Xolo was little, we just bought whole turkeys and fed them as they were once I had removed the legs, wings, and breasts. Later, I left the breasts on as he could handle more boneless meat. I only removed the legs to remove the leg bone since he is one of those dogs who doesn't like turkey leg bones, and the wings because he was a baby who was eating 3-4 times a day and having a loose wing made for a simple meal. Just give a wing to him and be done! Our regular source of bone is bird carcasses and turkey necks. I buy the necks in bulk. Our store keeps a 30 lb box ready for us to pick up at all times. As soon as we pick it up, they order another and hold onto it in the freezer until we need it. The only thing to be careful of with turkey is that a lot of it is enhanced. 

Just as a side note, if you want to save the skin and fat, you can. I had a "skin bag" that I put all of the skin into in the beginning. Dogs need a certain amount of fat in their diets and you'll find later that you'll occasionally end up with something too lean to feed without adding something fatty in long term and having that stockpile of fatty poultry skin can make adding some fat to a meal very easy.

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I thank you for the advice :) always appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO