Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Just Starting Out

chicken backs gsd puppy pmr butcher cuts

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would definitely give turkey a try. Incorporate it slowly. Can you find turkey necks? 

Decreased drinking is normal since they receive 70% more moisture in their food compared to when they're on dry kibble where they get no moisture at all! 

• SuperPug likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Followed your advice and have had no problems, worries are pretty much gone now re: bones.

However her allergies are getting horrific - she's scratching/chewing fur off her belly and legs, and she is one miserable puppy.  We've tried a dozen topical treatments (one at a time to see if results happen), and various allergy meds and nothing seems to be helping.

Took her to the vet 2 days ago and he checked and eliminated all nasty things such as mange/scabies/flea infestation/yeast/ears/anal glands - all healthy.  He didn't prescribe anything since I told him I want to avoid steroids/cortisone, but its getting to the point where she can't sleep at night (and since her crate in the bedroom, us as well).  She sleeps fine during the day, on her large bed in her pen - perhaps the crate (wire/open sided, but in a corner of the room) is making things worse?

Since her previous kibble was chicken based and she itched on that, would it be ok to try her on turkey a little early, perhaps switching her to full turkey for a bit?  I want to rule out chicken allergies, even though I know it could be environmental. 

Her stools have been fantastic (small, hard, correct color) , the only difference I notice is she's drinking a lot less on raw than kibble, which makes sense I assume since its wet and not dry food? Her coat where she doesn't itch, teeth and eyes are great.

Gim is kind of experiencing what your girl is, I'm transitioning to turkey necks and I'll let you know what I experience. 

And I noticed the water thing too, Natalie pretty much told me the same (or someone here!). It's weird at first, but as long as he's hydrated some way, I'm cool. :P

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Yep, they are getting way more water than you realize. It's a benefit of raw!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That's what I told Shane, he's all "What the....?"

I love the mens' reactions to raw fed benefits. :P

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Gim is kind of experiencing what your girl is, I'm transitioning to turkey necks and I'll let you know what I experience. 

And I noticed the water thing too, Natalie pretty much told me the same (or someone here!). It's weird at first, but as long as he's hydrated some way, I'm cool. :P

How's Gim doing?  Any improvement?

After advice on one of the other threads, I decided to deflea the house and pup again, went all out on the carpets and furniture, machine washed all her toys and beds, FI gave her a flea bath and we soaked her big bed mattress in the bathtub.

She's still itchy, but nothing like before.  So much for the Frontline (treated every 4 weeks like clockwork) - I might switch to Comfortis.  I found one (1!) flea after combing her all over before her bath.

Either way, I'm going to keep her on turkey for another day or two, then introduce chicken back into the diet for a meal and see if there's any increase in her itching and biting.  If its a flea allergy, then at least I don't have to sell the 35lbs of chicken backs in my chest freezer!

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

ON another note though, pup vomited twice last night in her crate (At 0345...after a 19hour work day that ended at 0215, love being a dog parent...). 

Transferred her to her indoor pen (which has her big lounge bed) after taking her out for a potty break, so I could clear out her, went back to bed - figured the one little whine she made was attention seeking.

Got woken up by her cold nose 15mins later..  I'd been half asleep and not latched the pen.  Went to put her back in, and the smell hits. She pooped on her bed, and then clearly thought it lacked pizazz ;), so she scattered it over a 2meter radius. 

First accident inside since she was 10weeks :( totally my fault, she hadn't pooped that night and although I took her out to pee, I didn't think to wait and see if she needed to poop (she never poops at night).  Thankfully it was mostly hard pellets, unfortunately I'd just run out of carpet cleaner... and had to take FI to work at 0530.

The vomit was just foamy bile so I'm not too worried, she used to do that when she had an empty stomach, just keeping a close eye on her.  She had very pale diarrhea this morning - I'm thinking the symptoms are likely because I switched to turkey so suddenly.  Poor pup. 

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

If you're up for it

Try a more natural flea/tick remedy. I am currently using apple cider vinegar for my pug. Been using it for over a year and haven't seen a single bug on her. She gets a capful(about a teaspoon) in every dinner. What it does, is it makes their skin acidic and the bug don't like it. Another remedy is garlic. A lot of hysteria around garlic. I listen to In the Dish with Rodney Habib and he had a special guest whom did an article on giving garlic to dogs. She stated "a golden retriever will have to eat approx 12 cloves of garlic to reach toxicity".  I believe it was 12 cloves, been a while since I listened to the podcast. The podcast is the one with the picture about fleas/ticks if you want to confirm it. But it definitely was some ungodly amount that you'd be thinking "WHY would you give your dog that many?"

http://www.lite929.c...rodney-habib-3/

I can totally get why you wanted to get to turkey ASAP. I felt that way with my pug when she was having issues with chicken. Fortunately for me, she handled the fast paced swap perfectly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chicken, backs, gsd, puppy, pmr, butcher, cuts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO