Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

2Yo Belgian Malinois - Casey

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello,
Casey is a 2yo belgian malinois. She is my best friend, playmate, service dog, and partner in ipo sport. She is a very driven, extremely active and appropriately social dog. She gives me her best, so i feel i owe her the best food.

Today I am going to make my first order of raw food from an online vendor of quality meats for dogs. I am excited to learn more and gain experience with raw feeding.

I want to get my cat on a raw diet as well, but ill tackle that after i am less of a novice.

Thanks
Alex

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Welcome and good luck!! Any questions you may have there are alot of folks here with a whole lot of experience.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you! Ask any questions you can think of. 

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thank you

here are some questions
whee would i find (good) green tripe locally?
should i feed it at the start?
i was going to order from a certain online vendor but the processing time was 13 days. rediculous, but i am thankful now because i went over to whole foods and found chicken backs and necks for $.95 a lb!! are there more cost effective sources for usda organic free range steroid free hormone free anti biotic free grain fed chicken?
the value pack at whole foods is by far the cheapest i have found.
i also picked up cultured goats milk on a whim.
before i use it, id like to know how or if i even should. so, how much of it should i give casey and when?

today was gooses first meal (her nick name is goose, so i may call her goose from time to time). she eat half of the chicken back i offered her. from what i can tell, besides being hesitant, she ate it properly. question is, what should i do with the rest? i put it in saran wrap n back in the fridge, i assume itll be fine to add to tonights chicken back? or maybe give it to her as a snack after our hike/training?

i wont feed her pork. i assume thats no big deal, right? (for down the line)

sanitation is my top priority. how do you guys keep a sanitary work place?
i wiped my counter and surrounding cabinets with lysol wipes, washed her bowl, a knife, and counter with anti biotic dish soap and thoroughly rinsed and dried, washed my hands with alcohol stuff (like in hospitals)

so these are some questions.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

In all honesty, being all sanitary kind of went out the window a LONG time ago for me. I pretty much just clean up after their meal prep just like I would for mine. I clean up after meal prep for the dogs just like I would clean up after I made burgers or grilled chicken breasts or fried chicken or anything else that had to do with raw meat. Just a paper towel and a little apple cider vinegar for the counter and just normal dish soap for the cutting board and knife. I don't wash their bowls after every meal, but I do wash them periodically. I don't even always wash my hands with soap after I touch something that only got on me a little. I might just rinse them really quickly in hot water.

We don't use chemicals in the kitchen because, frankly, it's just not good to have around the things you eat. The ACV does a fine job. We have a bottle of bleach spray for stains on the counter from things like spilled red wine or what have you, but that's about it. NO chemicals are EVER used on the floor in the kitchen because the dogs eat in there in front of the freezer. Most nights I wipe up with ACV where they ate, but not always. They clean up after themselves pretty well.

I do wipe their feet after a meal that requires the use of feet to hold it down.  

Our dogs step in FAR nastier things outside and track the particles all over the house, not to mention they lick their butts and sniff the butts of each other. Nothing quite like seeing one of my dogs follow the other with his nose in the other's butt. Dogs are gross and dirty creatures so their meal "remnants" are much farther down the list as far as things I worry about. One likes to roll in dead things and eat horse poop and the other likes to look for leftovers of the neighbor cat's kills. Anything the cat doesn't eat (he eats most of what he catches), my dog is looking to make a snack of. we try to avoid all those nasty habits, but hey, a living, thinking creature is going to get into trouble on occasion. If they had their way, they'd do it all the time!

I make myself sound like a complete animal, but really, my house is clean, we are healthy, and no one who has ever come into our house has gotten sick. My mom was here a couple of weeks ago. Now, my mom is the pillar of cleanliness. Her house is company ready at all times. If you want to know if your house is clean, just invite her over. She is the woman who would take it as a personal offense if someone didn't clean something up properly. Cleanliness is VERY important to her. She could find nothing wrong with the way we cleaned up after meal prep for the dogs. She wasn't too fond of feeding indoors on the floor, but she let it slide since we live in a place where it rains 9 months out of the year and, frankly, it gets far too cold to ask the hairless dog to eat outside. She was satisfied with the way we cleaned up afterwards. 

As far as the leftover chicken... I would toss it in a bowl and stick it in the fridge. I don't wrap things that are going to be fed later the same day. Not worth the material to wrap something for so short a time. 

Why won't you feed her pork? If you are in the US, there's not really a reason not to. It's a staple in our house. It's a wonderful meat to put weight or keep weight on a dog with a high metabolism. It's also one of the easiest proteins to get and, since your dog's diet should be mostly red meat, it is an easy way to make that happen.

ETA: I just assumed you don't have an immune system issue. I know a few folks who do and, for their own health, they DO have to go above and beyond when cleaning so that is a game changer as far as cleanup.

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i dont feed pork because of the conditions the animals live and the type of animal swine is (pig tails: an omnivores quest for sustainable meat, one book about it eg) same reason i will only buy organic , grain / grass fed , pasture raised / free range etc etc meats.

i myself dont eat any animal products except milk

i dont have any immune system problem. i did have a lot of chemo in the past and i think i forget sometimes i actually have an immune system now.

thanks for your reply.

feeding raw meat is very fun.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I'm glad to hear your immune system is back in working order! Whatever hurdles you may have overcome in the past, I hope things continue to go upwards :)

As far as pork goes, you can find humanely raised pork just like you can with any other animals. I do feed a lot of grocery store meat, but I buy humanely raised whenever possible and my long term goal is to raise most or all of it myself. We get our eggs from a neighbor a few miles down the road. She keeps ducks and they lay delicious eggs. Our milk is from a local dairy where each cow has a name and, while they are treated as livestock, they kind of dance on that line that turns them into pets. They are very well taken care of. We buy meat from local farmers whenever possible and we make friends with hunters who aim for a clean, quick kill so we can have meat from them that led a free, natural life. 

I guess I don't know what you mean by "the type of animal swine is". 

If you don't want to feed pork, that's totally up to you. I just wanted to throw it out there that it is possible to feed pork without supporting the large scale meat industry.

Feeding raw is VERY fun. I love watching my guys eat. That's just something you don't get with kibble!

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i mean pigs are smart. id be much more comfortable feeding horse, e.g. (i dont want to feed horse either lol)

ideally i would hunt and fish for all my dogs food. not feasible, currently

watching her eat this morning was very fun. and bonding because i was encouraging her

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
As far as cleaning We also use vinegar to clean up after our boys meals and use soap and water for their bowls, cutting boards and knife. After they eat they wanna go outside so we send them out to potty and whatnot and we spray vinegar on the floor and scrub where they ate and then spray more vinegar and let it air dry. I think the second spraydown is more for my mindset than the fact that there is anything left in the floor lol
We also intend on raising their food/hunt it up eventually, but we are not in the ability to do that yet either. We go to our butcher and a restaurant supply store for our boys meat. I was so excited to find theornquarters for 54 cents a pound that i bought us a case lmao...sorry got off track...you do what feels good for you and your dog and as long as they have the variety they need all is well.

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
vineagre seems like a good idea. how much do you use?

i think i need to order green tripe. i live in philadelphia, pa. think its around here somewhere?

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I use straight white vinegar in a spray bottle. Saturate thearea and wipe up then spritz again.
the green tripe i havent had any luck in finding myself. I was told to check online. I just havent done it yet. If you find a good site let me know 😄

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

i mean pigs are smart. id be much more comfortable feeding horse, e.g. (i dont want to feed horse either lol)

ideally i would hunt and fish for all my dogs food. not feasible, currently

watching her eat this morning was very fun. and bonding because i was encouraging her

I've gotten over that... I used to tear up even thinking about feeding horse, but I would feed horse now if I was given a horse with meat healthy enough to eat. Just don't tell my pony! I can understand not wanting to feed a certain animal. I only still feel that way about dogs. I'd eat pretty much anything else. Maybe cat would be too much. It's just all kind of the circle of life to me now. Dolphins and porpoises are even smarter than pigs, but I don't get upset when orcas eat them, you know? I plan to have pet goats and pet cattle, but I also plan to raise meat goats and beef cattle. 

It's all up to you. By not feeding pork, you eliminate a valuable meat source, but it can be replaced. If not feeding pork makes you happy, then you go for it :)

I would love to hunt and fish for all of our dogs' food too. And ours! We currently only have the means to fish. We live on the beach. Right now we are halfway through crab season and salmon season just started. Catfish, bullfrogs, trout, crawfish, and more are available for freshwater and there is a lot for saltwater fishing too. We just get nasty weather up here for most of the year and no one wants to be out in it. End of spring, summer, and early fall are wonderful for fishing though. Unfortunately, we cannot feed salmon as salmon from our area can carry a parasite lethal to dogs when raw. Fine for dogs when cooked and fine for humans either way, but it's not worth the risk for the dogs. More for us!

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
orca killing dolphin wouldnt upset me either.
not sure how that connects with feeling okay about eating pig.
i do get upset when humans kill dolphins ...
and mis treat orcas and or dolphins.
also when they mis treat any animal.

i apply the golden rule to all birds reptiles fish and mammals. and i act in accordance with that idea.

:)

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Oh, I just meant in a circle of life kind of way. Orca eats dolphin, human eats pig. 

Like I said, if there's something you don't want to feed, that's totally up to you. I used to feel very much that way about horses. I HAVE a horse. It always struck me as so odd that someone could eat such a wonderful animal. I even did a speech in high school about horse slaughter. So I get it. I do. You'll never catch me eating dog! 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
the difference being that orca eating dolphin is completely nature whereas humans eating pig (besides the very small percent of natives who hunt boar) strikes me as very unnatural. i think nature gave us agriculture so that we would stop butchering innocent animals for our own pleasure. i think nature (god, mother earth, etc) is upset with humans.

i think we should agree to disagree on that subject :) what we certainly can agree on is that nature intended dogs to be on raw diets and that nature is happy with us for thinking outside the box and providing our best friends with the diet they deserve!

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Just out of curiosity do you plan to feed beef,lamb or rabbit... From my understanding it's better to have more proteins in the line up..

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Just out of curiosity do you plan to feed beef,lamb or rabbit... From my understanding it's better to have more proteins in the line up..

Lamb being baby sheep, no. But adult sheep and beef. I wouldnt buy rabbit, but maybe casey will catch one.
I am aware, and it makes sense, that casey needs a good variety of meats. I can get turtle, bison, elk, groundhog, quial, cornish hens, frogs, etc etc i plan on plenty of variety.

Now, how much/when should i feed her cultured goats milk (if i ever)?

And, how long till the kibble remnants are gone from her feces (about..)?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

No need for goats milk. I don't think I even know anyone who has ever given it. 

Kibble "leftovers" should be out of her body poop wise in about 12-24 hours, but out of the "system" will depend on how long kibble was fed, and the toxins that came from it. By toxins, I mean all the man made added stuff that is in kibble. There may be a "detox" period, or there may not. 

weaksause

weaksause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks for info. her stool was watery today. stick with the chicken backs, right?

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ya if its runny do bony meals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO