Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Too Much Pooping

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Pompom mama

Pompom mama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I feed my poms raw beef with chicken necks and they poop alot minimum 5 times a day
What I know that feeding raw will make them poop less !!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

How much are you feeding at a time, and how often?

Pompom mama

Pompom mama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
2 meals a day .. For the poms 2 KG they eat 3 chicken necks and 35 Grams beef 95% lean per meal and for the one who is 5 KG he eats 3 chicken necks and 70 Grams beef 95% lean per meal .. The meals are at 6 am and 3 pm

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm really not familiar with the grams and KG weights, I'm sorry! But, it may be too much at each feeding. You could try the bone in meal at one feeding, and boneless at the next, rather than both together twice a day. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Meal sizes seem OK, as does the amount of bone and meat. Technically, they should be pooping less. Is their feces dry and small or still rather moist and "fluffy" (sorry, I can't think of a better word)? Good feces of a raw meat-fed dog should look dehydrated compared to kibble-fed dog feces. Sometimes smaller dogs "go" more. We had a Japanese Chin (about 5kg) and he needed more potty breaks than my two bigger (22-27kg) dogs.

Please remind me, how long have you been feeding them a raw diet? Do you offer any other foods?

Pompom mama

Pompom mama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If I give them one without bone there stool will not be firm 😞
yes the poop is dry and smaller I tried to give them only 3 necks in breakfast and necks with beef in dinner they are better not that much poop but I don't know if it is ok to give them only necks in the morning meal

Pompom mama

Pompom mama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Its almost a week now
Maybe they are detoxing thats why they are pooping alot !

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

If I give them one without bone there stool will not be firm
yes the poop is dry and smaller I tried to give them only 3 necks in breakfast and necks with beef in dinner they are better not that much poop but I don't know if it is ok to give them only necks in the morning meal

Yes, it's ok to give them only necks in  the morning meal. 

From my understanding, you have only been feeding raw about a week? If so, I would cut out the beef right now. Just give them their necks in the morning for breakfast, and then again in the afternoon for dinner. It's a little too soon for beef which may be causing part of your problem.  Just stick with bone in chicken for now, then after another week move on to turkey.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

The consistency of the feces sounds good. I am reminded of the saying "what goes in must come out." They are pooping because they need to--which is good, you don't want a constipated dog! Monitor their food intake and weight. You will notice their body condition over time. If they're too fat, cut back the amount of food (and the opposite is also true/more food if too thin). Right now all of you are adjusting to the new diet. They are getting used to eating it and you are getting used to serving it. Monitor them and see how things go this next week. Time is the best indicator (provided they are still pooping in appropriate places). 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I would suggest cutting out the beef too. Their digestive system is going through a major change so, as long as it's not runny poop, I wouldn't be terribly concerned with their pooping schedule right now. A pain in the rear, I know, but it may very well change over the coming weeks as everyone adjusts to the new diet.

I'm really not familiar with the grams and KG weights, I'm sorry! But, it may be too much at each feeding. You could try the bone in meal at one feeding, and boneless at the next, rather than both together twice a day. 

In Google, if you just type in "grams to pounds" or "grams to ounces" or whatever you need to convert, a nice little conversion tool comes up and you just input the numbers. You don't even have to click any of the result links. I use it far more than I should have to. I have tried for SO long to understand the metric system and it won't stick. I'll keep trying though!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

2 meals a day .. For the poms 2 KG they eat 3 chicken necks and 35 Grams beef 95% lean per meal and for the one who is 5 KG he eats 3 chicken necks and 70 Grams beef 95% lean per meal .. The meals are at 6 am and 3 pm

Three average sized chicken necks are about 170 grams, add another 35 grams and the smaller (2 KG) dog is getting about 200 grams of food. That is 10% of body weight, where the typical PMR feeding guide is 2% (or maybe 3% for very active dogs). It could simply be that the dogs are eating too much. 

Most of us feed based on "condition" (dog seems thin/feed more, fat/less) not on strict percentages and weights, but this sounds like too much food.

Personally I would not cut the beef (as the dogs are doing fine) but would actually reduce ratio of the necks. If the chicken necks are about 55 grams (the average here), they are getting way too much bone. I'd move towards getting closer to the 80% meat/10% bone/10% organ of the PMR model, knowing a little more bone to start helps keep stools firm. But that is too much bone IMO. Too much bone can cause its own stomach upsets and digestive problems. 

I'd also stick with feeding meat and bone together (rather than as separate meals) to keep stools firm, and digestion easy.

Unlike some, I'd also advise starting organs early rather than later. Just starting with very small pieces to start. This way one minimizes the chances of the organs causing loose stools, but also gets dogs accustomed to eating organs. Too many dogs who get organs "late" seem to be picky eaters. Having to force feed organs would be a pain, and they are vital to good health.

Good luck,

Bill

• TRDmom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO