Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Camping With My Boy!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Just booked a camp site next weekend for two days, and Duke is coming with!

Has anyone taken their pups camping? We plan on bringing all his essentials... Long long leash, shade umbrella, bowls, towels,toys etc..

I wonder though about mosquito/black fly repellant...anyone have any idea what I can use that won't harm my boy?
  • naturalfeddogs and RichardRes like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

There is a fly spray for horses called Ultra Shield, and it's labeled for dogs too. There are several different formulas, so check, but I know the original formula in the black bottle is ok for dogs. I used to spritz mine with it, before I started them on garlic tablets. Not sure where you live, but check horse supply stores for it.

• RichardRes likes this

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Horse spray... Holy heck why didn't I ever think of that. I've had horses all my life. Perfect. Garlic tablets? Is that a natural heart worm medicine?
  • RichardRes likes this

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Definately want to hear about the garlic tablets! Where do you get them at?
  • RichardRes likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Horse spray... Holy heck why didn't I ever think of that. I've had horses all my life. Perfect. Garlic tablets? Is that a natural heart worm medicine?

Be sure the spray is labeld for dogs as well. Garlic is only for fleas, ticks and mosquitos.  I guess repelling mosquitos is repelling heartworms as well, but I also use Guinness beer monthly for heartworm prevention as well. We have had bad problems resulting from chemicals and pesticides, so I won't use them anymore. Even my husband and I use some natural, holistic type remedies as well for ourselves.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Definately want to hear about the garlic tablets! Where do you get them at?

I order mine from Springtime Inc. Their site is http://springtimeinc.com

• lovemyboys88 and meyerjake1@gmail.com like this

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Be sure the spray is labeld for dogs as well. Garlic is only for fleas, ticks and mosquitos.  I guess repelling mosquitos is repelling heartworms as well, but I also use Guinness beer monthly for heartworm prevention as well. We have had bad problems resulting from chemicals and pesticides, so I won't use them anymore. Even my husband and I use some natural, holistic type remedies as well for ourselves.

Guinness beer... Ok do explain.. I'm interested in natural preventatives as well for our boy. I'm not in a high risk area, so I've opted to do heart worm test spring and fall..

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thanks for the link. Going to check it out.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

I'm the best mosquito repellent there is. Sit by me and you won't get bit - but i'll be eaten alive. Went to an outdoor festival a couple of weeks ago, 20,000 people in the field, and there's a swarm around me, people were chuckling.

We take him camping when we go, he loves being outdoors and is a great traveller. His food stays in the cooler and all good. Mosquito's don't bug him at all.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Guinness beer... Ok do explain.. I'm interested in natural preventatives as well for our boy. I'm not in a high risk area, so I've opted to do heart worm test spring and fall..

It has to be a specific Guinness, the one brewed in Doublin Ireland. Something about the hops there. It's brewed differently than here in the states. It's 1 ounce per 25 lb of dog, then two weeks later the same thing. After that, once monthly. Here is a link about it. http://lifewithdogs....ill-heartworms/

BoxerMum

BoxerMum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Well we just got home from camping! And Duke did fantastic! He was so well behaved, loved all the foot traffic and kids on bikes, at first I thought he would be crazy and obsessive, when I asked him to stay he stayed, one time he started following a little girl on a bike, called him back once and he listed! Recall training is paying off, had so many campers tell me what a good boy he was... Also took him to the beach for the first time.. He isn't a swimmer- knew this going.. But chasing seagulls was another story, took the boy on a few nature trails,snuggled up In our sleeping bag at night... And feeding him raw was super easy had his own cooler loved eating his turkey legs, also found a really good bug spray for horses and dogs.. Made with eucalyptus and cirtronella..called head of the herd- made in Canada. Awesome stuff.. Bugs didn't bother him at all. Couldn't think of a better vacation.. Being able to go away and have my dog come with. Will be more trips in the future.

Here's a picture of Duke all happy in the tent.

Attached Files

• naturalfeddogs and TRDmom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Sounds like it was a blast!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Glad it worked out! We use fly spray for our dogs too since our bugs get really bad here when the weather warms up. We have those awful no-see-ums with a bite worse than a mosquito. Buck and I get eaten alive while DH comes in bite free. Iorveth only gets bitten on his underbelly where his skin is soft. The skin on his back is thick and tough, more like a hide. He doesn't get bitten there. We were buying fly spray before we even had the pony. If it's in a silver/grey bottle, then the one NFD is talking about is the same one we use. I buy the same one for the pony, but I don't have any here right now since we used it all. One more thing to add to the feed store list!

Dude was an excellent camper. Up here, we don't typically go to camp sites. People up here just kind of find an empty place to set up a tent and camp there. Lots of wilderness up here. Dude was that dog who could be off leash, yet you never worried about him wandering off. He didn't move fast enough to disappear and he just didn't have the desire to despite being an intact male. The younger two... They would have to be on leash and under direct supervision at all times! One's a hound whose nose would get him into trouble and both are just trouble!

Actually, I have pictures of Dude on one of our camping trips. They might be on my old laptop though. I have had this one for just over a year, but I am STILL in the process of transferring all of my pictures! Some dogs are just easy to camp with and it sounds like Duke is one of them :)

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I order mine from Springtime Inc. Their site is http://springtimeinc.com

Not to hijack the thread, but do you get the garlic granules or tablet form?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

We finally got out camping this weekend. Wind and rainy all weekend, but good company and good food made it worthwhile. The dog did fine, but he spent much time in the tent with the heater on under the covers like a minpin will do. Came out to pee and eat and to come for car rides. He's a trooper.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
TRDmom, I get the tablets. They are super easy to give and the dogs love them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO