Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Looking To Switch My Fish To A "raw" Diet

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

They are currently on New Life Spectrum Small Tropical Fish Formula and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula with occasional bloodworms. I doubt that that just bloodworms is enough, so what would be a complete "raw" diet for bettas, Pencil Fish (nannostomus unifasciatus), and micro rasboras? 

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I don't know about those fish but I have saltwater fish and coral that need feeding and I buy mysis, silversides, krill, scallops and put in some smaller dried plankton, blend it all together in my food processor and use one of those little ice cube trays to freeze it up for daily feedings.  My pirahna are eating various white fish filets and scallops from the grocery store along with the above mix and some pellets. 

• lilasmom likes this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I don't know but most wild fish eat bugs.  You can try going to a reptile store and buying floating bugs.  Most people don't raw feed bettas because their food is so cheap.  Most people raw feed cichlids and occasionally you will see a homemade carp diet (for koi and goldfish...they're vegetarian/omnivores of course.  little different.)

So I'd try bloodworms, maybe crickets, and live feed for frogs maybe.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Petsmart and some other small stores sell frozen cubes of little critters. We buy those for our Betta and Cory Catfishes. We typically buy freeze dried bloodworms as well as the frozen cubes of mysis shrimp and brine shrimp (separate, not together). We like the freeze dried bloodworms because they float so, when the filter current blows them down, they float back up and get caught on the foliage. It keeps the Cories active. 

We buy other stuff too but we mostly buy the ones I mentioned because they don't have a bunch of additives in the cubes.

• lilasmom likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

A betta breeder I know recommends the following live foods for bettas: Microworms, grindal worms, banana worms, wingless fruit flies and manga daphnias.

• lilasmom likes this

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Bettas are carnivores and do best on a diet of assorted live worms, frozen worms being second best but still pretty good. I rotate my bettas between bloodworms, glass worms (mosquito larvae) brine shrimp, and occasionally krill. Krill and brine shrimp are not natural parts of their diet, but they do very well on it.

Basically, I just buy one of everything in the frozen section listed for freshwater carnivores and rotate daily. :)

• lilasmom likes this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Thanks everyone! I will go to my local fish store and pick a little bit of everything up.

I looked online and this is what I found about the rasboras: "As with other Boraras species it is likely to be a micropredator feeding on small insects, worms, crustaceans and other zooplankton in nature. In the aquarium it will accept dried foods of a suitable size but should not be fed these exclusively. Daily meals of small live and frozen fare such as DaphniaArtemia along with good quality flakes and granules will result in the best colouration and encourage the fish to come into breeding condition." 

And about the pencil fish: "N. unifasciatus is omnivorous and feeds primarily on insects and small crustaceans. It is also an avid biofilm grazer, ingesting microorganisms as well as algae." 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Oh, I DO throw in some cucumber slices on occasion because the Cories do seem to like it. 

I need to find a place that sells better foods for more variety. My Betta seems to be doing very well though. He is just a Petsmart Betta and we've had him for a couple of years now. They normally don't do so well since they aren't really "top quality" Bettas. 

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
I was told black worms are really good for bettas too. But live worms gross me out to much so I'm not sure I can do them. The breeder I got mine from raises hers on a mixture of live and pelleted. I bought frozen brine, daphnia, bloodworms and one other one(can't remember the name) plus some pelleted. The betta and shrimp(raw algae...lol) seem to be looking great so far on their mostly raw diet :)

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Live worms are great, but you have to be careful with blackworms because I believe there's a problem with them not getting consumed and disappearing into the gravel. It's been a while since I fed them, but I vagely recall only using them in bare bottom tanks or tweezing them because of the risk.

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
^ Very true. I've never fed them, but I do remember reading that you want to be sure they eat all the worms and something about preventing parasite infestations? I'm sticking with the frozen for a long while :( I'm getting grossed out thinking about feeding them. Flightless fruit flies sound easy enough actually. I'm not sure where you can get live food here though.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Oh, something else we feed to our fish is beef heart. We have a ton of it since it is a staple in our house for the dogs. I'll mince some of it up as tiny as I can possibly get it and feed it to them once in a while. I would feed it more often but it just isn't easy to get into small enough little pieces that they can eat it.

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Beef heart is great for bettas! Wonderful suggestion I'd forgotten about it. :)

Yes there's a risk of parasites, which is primarily why I feed frozen to my fish, but it's not really that great of a risk. All my baby fish eat live food up until 8 weeks of age, and then they switch to frozen. I've never had a parasite issue with the babies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO