Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pmr Newbie

pmr raw fed raw newbie

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

djacks

djacks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFt. Lauderdale, FL

After some research with friends, we have located another super local vet that isn't pro-raw but is not skeptical of it. A friend of ours, their parents fed raw and he was never truly against it and he was a great vet. Definitely worth a try, especially since he's local. And yes, Spy Car, I agree. I found few holistic vets who also offered acupuncture and I think that location would be a little more extreme for us. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Also--kibble fed dogs have some foul smelling mouths (my boxer's was horrible!), wouldn't want to be "kissed" by them! Oh well, maybe she (the vet) will learn one day.

The kibble breath on my Brittany was horrendous. I don't know if it's because my dogs are so much more a part of my life or because they just have no breath smell, but DH and I love on our dogs and are in their faces (or they are in ours) all the time and that's just not something that happened before raw. I loved my past dogs very much, of course, but there was always a distance kept between my face and theirs at all times unless I leaned down on occasion to kiss them on the head. Kisses were viewed as "attacks" due to the offensiveness of their breath while now they are welcomed.

djacks

djacks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hey guys, picked up some quarters today and they are HUGE. How does everyone handle LARGE cuts, like way more than what they should be eating in one meal? Is cutting safe? or hold it while he chews it down and take it? 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

You can hold it as he eats, but I just give my guys larger things and take them when they've had their share. Works really well later on when you have access to whole birds or large animal parts. In the beginning, I do trade whether it be a small morsel of something they might like even better or even a toy to redirect them from the food I'm taking, but I work it up to where they just aren't bothered with me taking things from them so that, in the event they end up with something they shouldn't have and I need to take it fast, I don't have to worry about having something to replace it.

Large meals like that are harder to eat which gives the dog a much better mental and physical workout. I think they enjoy eating those large things much more than something simple.

If you decide to trade and use a toy, I would make sure it is a "quiet" toy rather than something that's going to have him running around right after he eats. I don't worry about this overmuch with all breeds (although I don't do rough play right after eating with any of them), but the deep chested ones prone to bloat like a Doberman, I would be keeping quiet until they've had some time to digest. I lost my first Dobe to bloat and no dog should ever have to die that way and no owner should ever have to lose their dog that way.*

*Mind you, these are just my personal feelings on the matter. After losing one to bloat many years ago, it's hard to forget about when your dog goes dashing off down the hall at full speed to celebrate a full belly even if his breed is not known for bloat.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

djacks

djacks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Sucessfully devoured chicken liver tonight, thawed and everything. Very proud dobe mom right now. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pmr, raw fed, raw, newbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO