Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Big Decisions Ahead...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Ok so I try not to put too much of my personal life on the internet but I am at a crossroads in life.

I just spent the last 6 months getting certified as a dog trainer. I did it in hopes of making a career change.

I now have the opportunity to travel 1/2 way across the US for the ultimate dog training job. The facility is top of the line. Their ideals are exactly in line with mine. 

Now here's the kicker. I just became a career employee at my current job (like on Friday Sept 6th). This means I have rights, I no longer can be forced to do overtime, its all voluntary. I will now have all holidays paid (that's 10 holidays). I will get to start a 401K that I believe they will match. I will have health insurance at a very affordable rate. I will also have vacation time up front, as well as sick time. Bbbuuutttt I hate, I mean absolutely despise my job. It is the bane of my existence.

So I have a choice. Risk everything for my dream job, I will be making at least $6 per hour less than I currently am (though the new job does have commission, that is hard to factor in)..If I take the job I will be starting all over. No benefits no insurance, just a job that I love. Not to mention from what I've seen the cost of living (well at least the rent) is much higher than I am currently paying....

It is just so hard for me. I am miserable at my current job, but I fear that with taking the new job I will not even be able to make rent (unless the commission works out well.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Hmmm...Thats tough. Asside from not liking your current job, it sounds like it's a great one otherwise. How long will the training  job be available? It sounds like you JUST started your current job, so maybe you just need some time to adjust? Maybe you will end up liking it eventually, or even you do or not, if the training job will be waiting you could save up and maybe get ahead a little financially then make the move? Definantly a really tough decision! I'm not good at advice on this sort of thing, but I wish you the best of luck regardless of what you decide.

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Well, how bad do you need the money?

Does your life style make it so that at your current pay you're still just scraping through? Or do you have a savings stash because you're just not buying that much?

Do you love all of training? Including the part where you get bit by mean dogs, or worse, mean customers?

I'd take a good hard look at your finances and make sure you can afford it first. Then I'd do a little soul searching and make sure I love ALL of dog training. If you love all of dog training and you can afford it, what are you waiting for? You are giving up 8 waking hours of your life every day to something you hate.

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Hmmm...Thats tough. Asside from not liking your current job, it sounds like it's a great one otherwise. How long will the training  job be available? It sounds like you JUST started your current job, so maybe you just need some time to adjust? Maybe you will end up liking it eventually, or even you do or not, if the training job will be waiting you could save up and maybe get ahead a little financially then make the move? Definantly a really tough decision! I'm not good at advice on this sort of thing, but I wish you the best of luck regardless of what you decide.

I have been in the job I am at for 4 years (cumulatively) on and off.  I was in a temporary position until just this Friday, temporary however does not mean that the job changes at all.  I have a BS degree in Biology and working at the Post office (which is where I am now) has no degree requirements.  Working there, however lucrative, feels like such a waste of my mind, talent, energy, and soul (really I feel like I've lost my soul to the place).  In 2005 when I first walked in the doors of the place, I hated it.  And I could never understand why everyone was so miserable or why people stayed there for 30 years but now that I've been sucked in I know its all about the money...Now 8 years later I've become one of them.

Well, how bad do you need the money?

Does your life style make it so that at your current pay you're still just scraping through? Or do you have a savings stash because you're just not buying that much?

Do you love all of training? Including the part where you get bit by mean dogs, or worse, mean customers?

I'd take a good hard look at your finances and make sure you can afford it first. Then I'd do a little soul searching and make sure I love ALL of dog training If you love all of dog training and you can afford it, what are you waiting for? You are giving up 8 waking hours of your life every day to something you hate.

Up until now I have been living paycheck to paycheck.  With this pay increase it will no longer be that way and I could start a nice little savings account.  Its not so much my lifestyle that costs a fortune, it's the fact that I have a relatively new car (that I leased and did not buy) so for what I purchased the payments are very low, then things like car insurance, college loans, and personal loans (Avery had surgery just last year and I then I really wanted to do the dog trainer program)...Those are the big things.  If I decided to move I would defer my school loans for at least a year so I could get on my feet (and during that time if I had any extra money I would definitely put it toward them)...I don't have any qualms about deferment because I am going to be paying those loans for the rest of my life.

As far as loving all dog training, a good dog trainer does not get bit.  It is not something that comes with the job.  I know that dogs in general are something that I have a passion for.  And I have a feeling that in a position like the one I am being offered I will be living the quote "Do what you love and you won't work a day in your life"....

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
You gotta do what makes you happy. No amount of money will ever replace happiness!

I vote for taking a leap of faith on the new job.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have been in the job I am at for 4 years (cumulatively) on and off.  I was in a temporary position until just this Friday, temporary however does not mean that the job changes at all.  I have a BS degree in Biology and working at the Post office (which is where I am now) has no degree requirements.  Working there, however lucrative, feels like such a waste of my mind, talent, energy, and soul (really I feel like I've lost my soul to the place).  In 2005 when I first walked in the doors of the place, I hated it.  And I could never understand why everyone was so miserable or why people stayed there for 30 years but now that I've been sucked in I know its all about the money...Now 8 years later I've become one of them.

Up until now I have been living paycheck to paycheck.  With this pay increase it will no longer be that way and I could start a nice little savings account.  Its not so much my lifestyle that costs a fortune, it's the fact that I have a relatively new car (that I leased and did not buy) so for what I purchased the payments are very low, then things like car insurance, college loans, and personal loans (Avery had surgery just last year and I then I really wanted to do the dog trainer program)...Those are the big things.  If I decided to move I would defer my school loans for at least a year so I could get on my feet (and during that time if I had any extra money I would definitely put it toward them)...I don't have any qualms about deferment because I am going to be paying those loans for the rest of my life.

As far as loving all dog training, a good dog trainer does not get bit.  It is not something that comes with the job.  I know that dogs in general are something that I have a passion for.  And I have a feeling that in a position like the one I am being offered I will be living the quote "Do what you love and you won't work a day in your life"....

I understand now. I think you need to just follow your heart. Whatever feels right at the right time, go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO