Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello Hello Hello

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Tri

Tri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm bringing home a gorgeous harlequin great dane puppy in four and a half weeks and I'm so excited and want to get everything right. Dog food grosses me out. Who would want to eat all that nasty dried out left over crap and the same thing day in and day out for your entire life? Not me. My biggest hang up is that I was born and raised vegetarian and have never eaten meat in my life. I'm not one of those crazy people that think that's at all an acceptable diet for a dog, but I don't know how to handle meat at all because I've never had to before. I'm trying to figure it all out real quick which brings me here looking for some advice. :) 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
Welcome and congrats on your soon to be puppy! Have you read the getting started guide at the top of the page? It's really helpful. As far as handling meat, just wash your hands after, and counter tops where it has come in contact.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Congrats on your (soon to be) new addition! :D Danes are sweeties.

Make sure you have room in your freezer! It'd be good if you have a chest freezer to store meat in, since you'll probably be needing quite a bit of space. I have a small chest freezer in the garage for our dog and share space with him in the kitchen freezer too.

The grocery store is an easy place to find meat in general, though its usually chicken, beef, and pork (turkey tends to be seasonal). Organs can also be limited... usually a mix of chicken heart and gizzard, and maybe chicken livers and beef liver. Some stores have more options than others and some are willing to place special orders for you.

If you can, look for meat markets or butcher's shops. They may have scraps for you (whatever they don't use, which usually is fine for dogs). Hunt clubs may also have meat scraps available. Placing an ad on Craigslist helped me to find a great source for meat. I also joined a local raw feeders mailing list (yahoo group) and found meat at a great price through them! You can also raise your own meat. Rabbits are easy to care for and are good producers (worth the effort)... not everyone is keen on the whole process though (it may or may not be for you).

Good luck!

Tri

Tri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you both. :) I've poked around a little bit. A freezer chest is a great idea. I like the idea of keeping his food away from my ice cream. Talking to a butcher for the things I can't get in a grocery store is also an awesome suggestion. I had a pet bunny that slept with me and used a litter box so rabbit meat is off the table for me or I'd get over run with bunnies I'd decide to keep instead. :P I don't think I could handle doing any killing or gutting myself. I know at the very least I'm going to have to cut things down into the right portions. I'm sure I'll get a bit more gutsy with it as I go. How far in advance can you shop? Do things pretty well hold indefinitely in the freezer? How soon can you defrost it? Like if I portioned out a week worth of meat could I move it all from the freezer to the fridge on a monday and it would be okay all the way until Sunday? 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
I have been given meat in the past from people cleaning out freezers, and I have fed meat as old as three years old and freezer burned. The dogs all seemed to like it better than fresh! So yea, you can go ahead and pre buy, stock up for the future!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO