Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New To Pmr

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

It's certainly worth a try!

Since Cornish is much smaller, which pieces would you suggest?

Just thinking out loud (always dangerous :D) but if you got whole ones (do they come any other way?) you could break them down into parts. 

Bill

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Right, ha. I'm thinking I'll just cut off the wings and give them to my friend(who feeds his ferret raw). Let Zeus go at it himself, then I'll take it away after he's eaten all he needs.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
I have bought a number of cornish hens for our latest puppy, and have broken them down. I would think even the wings would be fine for a dog your size. I would try them first and see, before getting rid of them.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Alright, I'll give it a try!

What advice do you have on my dog's poop? He's a bit constipated, so I would figure give less bone, but his poop is also a little too soft - so more bone. What should I do?

Just now, his poop is no longer constipated but it's way too soft. He didn't have bone today, but had two chicken necks yesterday. I was contemplating duck foot for dinner tonight, or what do you suggest?

Edited by zeusthedapple, 13 October 2015 - 10:41 AM.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Ok, should I be concerned? I gave Zeus a duck foot for dinner and at least 3 or so inches of the remaining leg of the "foot" he just swallowed and I know he didn't crush all of the bone. :/

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
Just keep an eye on him. Mine do that way as well with a lot of stuff. Dogs don't chew the same way we do, more of a chomp chomp and down. Chances are, enough of the duck foot was chewed more than you realize. Is Zeus acting normal as of now?

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Yeah, He had breakfast today, normal bowel movements, no gagging. He seems to be acting normal, so I hope he stays that way. He's going to give me a heart attack one of these days, lol.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
Good! It sounds like he is just going through an adjustment period.
  • zeusthedapple likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

So, Zeus enjoyed his first whole prey: Cornish. He decided to rip off both of the wings initially, got a little too excited with it all. Nonetheless, he enjoyed himself. Now, I'm left with what I guess you would call the "frame"? Is that right? I mean can he just go on and have at it or are there any concerns?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
If he's already handled it as well as he has, I don't see why not. Cornish hens are easy to chew. Watch him and see how he does.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Alright, thanks! I'm very happy to say that he thoroughly enjoyed his first taste of green tripe! I'm glad he isn't a picky boy :P

• naturalfeddogs likes this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Hey guys! So far, everything has been going well with the raw feeding. However, I just introduced coconut oil into his diet and today after breakfast (duck foot, boneless chicken thigh, and some coconut oil), he went outside and had cannon butt. This is actually like the first pure cannon butt he has had since starting raw. Could such a straight liquidy poo be caused by something as small as coconut oil, or is it potentially something else? Also, what should I give him for dinner tonight to help this.

** The poo is also light in colour if that makes a difference.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

How much of the oil did he get? It could be a combination of that and the boneless chicken. I would add some more bone, and minus the oil at the moment. 

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Roughly 1/4tbs of the oil. Gave him some cornish bone in dinner tonight. Hope that helps. Thanks! :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Try upping the bone, with quarters only, and no oil until poops firm. Also, try removing skin and fat for a couple of feedings as well.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Thanks! Alright, so he was doing well until I introduced beef heart, which gave him cannon butt. I took that away, but now he's still having this liquid poo after breakfast. It's been like 5 days since the beef heart. He will have an acceptable poo, then after breakfast, disaster. Today for breakfast he only had chicken neck, chicken gizzard and some coco oil. What should I feed him to get him back to where he should be? Simply more bone?

**Mind you, it may be understandable that he is still having off-on cannon butt since aside from the beef heart, I haven't taken anything away from his diet. Not sure what to do, since the other proteins in his diet he has been eating without any issue.

Thanks!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Stop the oil, and gizzardss at the moment. Just go with bone in chicken only, you can try drumsticks, quarters or backs. The more the better for a few days. Also remove the skin as well, since that is fatty and can cause digestive issues.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Okay, thanks! I will do that!

zippereatsraw

zippereatsraw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I also have a small dog 10 lb papillon who used to gulp his kibble, now when he eats a bony meal i hold it at one end and let him chew the other, I can control how much he chews off at once and when I get to the end if the piece is small and I'm worried about him just swallowing it I just don't give it to him. 

• zeusthedapple and chkinut like this

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

If there's a will, there's a way with this boy. He will certainly try to swallow everything, if he can!

So, I'm still working on introducing him into beef hearts. Every time I mix it into his meal, he has cannon butt, every time. Does that mean I'm still introducing too much at a time? Should I just start with like a pinch and keep moving up? I put like .2oz and he still had an upset...

Another thing: I give him roughly 1tsp of ground salmon (boneless) with dinner every day. Is that safe to do so? He hasn't shown any problems, just knowing it's a rich protein, I just want to make sure it's safe.

Edited by zeusthedapple, 20 November 2015 - 06:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO