Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Our Rabbit Breeding Adventure

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Figured I would post this here since it pertains to raw feeding.  If its in the wrong place, please move it...but let me know if you do because this forum is hard to navigate  :unsure:

Anyway!  We decided a few months ago to dive into rabbit breeding.  For ourselves and for the cat.  The dogs too but mostly Bernard because he LOVES rabbit.   We were sick of hearing about what they fed chickens bred for meat and I didn't want to deal with raising the stinkers myself.  I find that rabbits eat a healthier diet compared to the corn heavy diets of meat birds.  

Anyway, we started collecting supplies.  I found a GREAT deal on cages so we stocked up!  

Rabbits101_zpse26102c3.jpg

We bought our first trio (buck and 2 does) from a local breeder.  They are 3/4 Californian and 1/4 Flemish.

Rabbits220_zps06d89d7a.jpg

The we bought a trio of pure Californians.  Then I bought a pair of American Blues and a pair of New Zealand/ American crosses.  One was red and one was blue.  The last rabbit I bought was a gorgeous spotted mutt.  Our breeding intentions are for food but I also want to utilize the pelts so color was necessary! 

We culled 2 bucks. One we ate, another for the dogs.  

643914_10201644175614995_1821121823_n_zp

Fire224_zps14f8d34a.jpg

We  (I say we because it was my idea but Drew actually put it all together) set up a sweet gravity water feeder.  Bottles are SO tedious for so many rabbits!

1003347_10201746693657882_1145084473_n_z

1170881_10201746698097993_714292880_n_zp

557956_10201746703858137_842108464_n_zps

After a few turns with the boys, the girls finally did what they do best! 

Babies! Our American blue had 4 kits.  A respectable size litter for a young first timer.

1174554_10201902980524956_1599467832_n_z

Then one of the does from the first trio kindled.  5 kits this time.  

1239790_10201926506753097_279896893_n_zp

The proud papa.

1157441_10201910482392498_968335034_n_zp

The babies are one week old yesterday and tomorrow.  

1185753_10201954575574800_1924925755_n_z

1187108_10201954575174790_2105217712_n_z

I *may* be keeping a colored doe back for breeding but most will be freezer bound in about 12 weeks.

Until next time!

GardenPonyChicks334_zps2fc552f7.jpg

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
The babies are soooo cute! I love the giant one in the first litter. Will they be full grown in 12 weeks?

Are those cages hard to clean? I would love to one day do something like this. But I hate cleaning cages!!!!

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Those spotted babies omg!  How are rabbits as far as cost and time to raise?  Cleaning and such. 

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I wanted to get hanging cages.  Is that the kind of set up you have?  

I considered raising buns myself :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
This is so awesome! We've thought about doing rabbits too.....I'd want to do free range rabbits though. Does anyone know much about doing things free range?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

The babies are soooo cute! I love the giant one in the first litter. Will they be full grown in 12 weeks?

Are those cages hard to clean? I would love to one day do something like this. But I hate cleaning cages!!!!

12 weeks is approximate but they will not be full grown. They 'hopefully' will be 6 lbs or greater.  Full grown adults can be 12 lbs or more.  

Not hard to clean AT ALL.  Their is sort of an angled piece of metal under the second story so it all runs down.  The other cages just fall to the ground and we scoop it into the garden.  We are planning a gutter type thing that empties into a trash can for easy clean up :) 

Those spotted babies omg!  How are rabbits as far as cost and time to raise?  Cleaning and such. 

Its not cheap, the set up is pretty expensive depending on how you do it.  Maintenance is not bad. Once they start reproducing themselves, I expect to make out pretty well.  We don't calculate the costs.  The fact that we are raising healthy meat is enough reason to do it. 

It takes almost no time at all to maintain them.  The water is automatic, Takes about 15 minutes to feed them every day.  Breeding every now and then.

I wanted to get hanging cages.  Is that the kind of set up you have?  

I considered raising buns myself :)

Yes, we have some hanging cages, the top 4 are the only ones that do not hang, they sit on a frame above the lower 4.  

This is so awesome! We've thought about doing rabbits too.....I'd want to do free range rabbits though. Does anyone know much about doing things free range?

Colony is the word  you are looking for ;) 

My only issue with colonies is predators, space for set up (You need much more!) and I like the controlled environment of the cages.  

Some do have success with colonies, and it would be fun to watch them dig around and such.  Their losses are greater though.  

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Losses to predation? Or disease or parasites? Or?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Losses to predation? Or disease or parasites? Or?

All of the above.  Parasites are more likely when the rabbits are on the ground.  Predators can more easily access them in the colony set up.  Disease spreads quickly in both set ups but you are more likely to be able to catch and isolate in the cages.  

I think colonies would be fun though. I'd love to see my rabbits dig burrows :) 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

We definitely have the space for them, it's just adding in another project around the farm! Maybe sometime in the future though....

• GimMom likes this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
Cute and purposeful. ;) The spotted buck and babies are so cute.

I don't know if I could do rabbits(I have them as pets) But I would really love to be able to have the fresh meat.

As for the rabbit colony. I would love to let them roam free and tunnel. But my neighbor had an awesome set up and all his were killed. He has a 10' foot tall fence, buried about foot down with heavy gauge wire. Several times The neighbors dogs got in and killed them. He would fix the problem and a few months later it would happen again. They went after his duck, geese and deer too. It was pretty sad.

I did let my Flemish out when I was working in the barn, but she would just hang out with me.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Cute and purposeful. ;) The spotted buck and babies are so cute.
I don't know if I could do rabbits(I have them as pets) But I would really love to be able to have the fresh meat.

I've had them as pets too, and I know I would have a hard time butchering them, though I too wouldn't mind fresh rabbit for Gim and the hubs and myself. Chickens are one thing, but I loved my bunnies and I'm too much of a bleeding heart hippie to slaughter little bunnies. :P

I wanted to have a house here eventually so I could have a small chicken coop, but apparently, chickens aren't allowed in Toronto for private farming. A lady here is fighting to keep her chickens. The story is old, but last I heard, she's still fighting:

http://www.torontoli...their-backyard/

I think it's lame we can't keep chickens! As long as they're not hurting anyone, I can't see the big deal.

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Really I think everyone (city, suburbs, and rural) should be allowed at LEAST a couple of laying hens. Some people are just so adement about being against them. If you properly take care of your chickens, there is very little smell and the benefits far outweigh any negative issues. GimMom sorry to hear you can't have chickens. That really stinks. Maybe if you could find enough like minded individuals in your community you could bring it to the attention of your county officials?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Thought I would update with 3 week old photos :) Some are of them a bit younger but man have they grown! Shooting for 2 lbs at 6 weeks and I think we will make it! :) 

Attached Files

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I love the picture of Jody looking in the cage. Thinking "yummmm"! LOL!

• Sprocket and GimMom like this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Omg they are so cute! I can't believe you don't find them cute...
  • Wolfsnaps likes this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Omg they are so cute! I can't believe you don't find them cute...

The babies are kind of cute, I will admit that.  I brought 2 to work and everyone LOVED THEM.  They asked a ton of questions about the project.  It was fun talking to them about it.

I love the picture of Jody looking in the cage. Thinking "yummmm"! LOL!

Jody is a freak.  Her favorite part of the yard is that corner where the rabbits and chickens are just on the other side of the fence.  

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

The babies are kind of cute, I will admit that.  I brought 2 to work and everyone LOVED THEM.  They asked a ton of questions about the project.  It was fun talking to them about it.

Jody is a freak.  Her favorite part of the yard is that corner where the rabbits and chickens are just on the other side of the fence.  

LOL! She's just keeping an eye on her food, making sure it's OK! 

• Sprocket likes this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Weaning day was yesterday! They are 4 weeks old today and on monday so we weaned them all together.  I will be keeping one of the colored does, the ones with more concentrated coloring because my breeding program is also targeted towards coat color for pelts.  

Yippee!

Attached Files

• naturalfeddogs likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Predation losses?  You mean by your own pets lol!!!

So you are down two bunnies now correct?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Predation losses?  You mean by your own pets lol!!!

So you are down two bunnies now correct?

We are only down one.  8 now, from 9.  Bernard ate the first one and then tried to get another but we heard it screaming and ran outside.  They are back in our empty rabbit cages where he can't get them.  I am thinking that in about a month they can go back out when they are larger.  

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO