Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Our Rabbit Breeding Adventure

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

We are expecting more kits in a week or so.  

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

How often do you breed your does (or plan to breed them)?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

How often do you breed your does (or plan to breed them)?

Typical practice is breed them back 2 weeks before weaning.  Depending on the condition of the doe, I will do that in most cases.  This time we bred them back 1 week before weaning due to time constraints in my life! LOL

The does were both very fit and healthy so I saw no reason not to.  We have 3 other does that are bred as well.  One is being a difficult doe so we might cull her if she does not produce soon.    It all depends on how healthy the doe is at the time.  Does that don't produce, are bad moms or have small litters are all culled.

• Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I may have to space mine out a little more due to space. When you wean a litter do you put them all together or what?

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

People usually have grow out pens for whole litters. That can be a tractor or a larger cage. I plan to space mine out a little bit just to give the does a break but in the end, it is about being efficient in producing meat. 

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I may have to space mine out a little more due to space. When you wean a litter do you put them all together or what?

The two litters we weaned recently were only 2 days apart so we weaned them together.  I will always try to make that happen.  Its much easier to have them all in one area.  

People will breed in whatever way works for them. You have to remember that they will be with you for 3-4 months (ideally) so you have to make room for all of them! 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

welllllllllll things are going ok.  We had one casualty to my darn cat.  Then he grabbed another and we later euthanized it because of its injuries. Now we have 7 babies growing.  They are just under 2.5lbs and will be 6 weeks old on saturday and monday.  I'm told that 2 lbs at 6 weeks means they will probably make weight by 12-16 weeks.  

and I noticed a doe was stashing hay this morning so I checked on her at lunch time and she had TEN BABIES!!!!  WOW! She also had them all in the box, thankfully.  Yippee! This doe is a keeper! She is a young, first time doe so I am VERY pleased!

Attached Files

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

and yes...I adjusted the scale so its not weighing the board! :D I need to find the bowl that goes on there...

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I have a high degree of respect for those that are able to do this, but no way I'd be able to. Those bunnies are just too cute! If I were to do this I think I'd pick something uglier like chickens and turkeys. lol

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I have a high degree of respect for those that are able to do this, but no way I'd be able to. Those bunnies are just too cute! If I were to do this I think I'd pick something uglier like chickens and turkeys. lol

I actually have a MUCH harder time processing my own home raised chickens. I LOVE my birds. The rabbits are...meh.  Right now I have to decide which rooster to cull and I really dont' want to cull any of them.  If only roosters laid eggs :( 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I actually have a MUCH harder time processing my own home raised chickens. I LOVE my birds. The rabbits are...meh.  Right now I have to decide which rooster to cull and I really dont' want to cull any of them.  If only roosters laid eggs :(

Oh our roosters haven't ever been an issue for me. We have always had mean ones that kept coming after us spurs first. Culling them was no problem. The chickens were alittle harder though. I did get attached to them, but I looked at it as though after laying age, feeding the dogs with them, they were still serving another very important purpose. So I didn't feel like we were just killing them to get rid of them for no reason.  That made me feel better about it.

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Oh our roosters haven't ever been an issue for me. We have always had mean ones that kept coming after us spurs first. Culling them was no problem. The chickens were alittle harder though. I did get attached to them, but I looked at it as though after laying age, feeding the dogs with them, they were still serving another very important purpose. So I didn't feel like we were just killing them to get rid of them for no reason.  That made me feel better about it.

Yeah I'll have to think about it that way.  I love our roosters. They are all very sweet and the one I need to cull is the king so I feel bad.  He just throws too many black babies and I want some color.  

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I actually have a MUCH harder time processing my own home raised chickens. I LOVE my birds. The rabbits are...meh.  Right now I have to decide which rooster to cull and I really dont' want to cull any of them.  If only roosters laid eggs  :(

Yeah, to be honest I'd probably grow attached to about anything I tried to raise. Shoot, when I was little I had a "pet" snail and cried when I decided to let it loose. lol

Although when I raised roaches for my bearded dragon I couldn't have gave a damn about them, but they aren't exactly cute & cuddley. lol

Edited: Originally quoted the wrong person, thus the reason for the quote as is.

Edited by OwnedBySilly, 17 October 2013 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO