Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Just Scored A Whole Cow!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
I very close long time family friend just called me who raises Angus cattle. He told me he had one get stuck in one of his ponds and she isn't doing well and that he is going to have to shoot her, and do I want her for my dogs. Well, yes sir!!! So, Wayne is meeting him there in the truck this afternoon to shoot her, and put her right in the truck. I know a number of cattle farmers from growing up around them. My dad had cattle as well before his heart attack, so they are all buddies. Unfortunantly, dad isn't physically able to handle cattle anymore so he sold his whole herd. Thank you dad for your buddies!!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
That's awesome. But what the heck are you going to do with a whole cow? Do you have a meat locker? Are you going to butcher it yourself?

Bill
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
We have two huge deep freezers, so between the two we have plenty of space. We are doing it ourselves, got half of it done yesterday, and already one of the freezers is a good half full. Today, we are going to get the whole other side done. Gosh, that sucker is huge!!
  • Spy Car likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Awesome!!! :D

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

We have two huge deep freezers, so between the two we have plenty of space. We are doing it ourselves, got half of it done yesterday, and already one of the freezers is a good half full. Today, we are going to get the whole other side done. Gosh, that sucker is huge!!

What, do you have some commercial deep freezes? How big are those things???

Bill (a little envious :D )

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Wow!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
@ Bill, we just have two large chest freezers. I'm not sure how many cubic ft they are, but you can find them at home stores like Home Depot or Lowes all day long. They are both about as tall as an average kitchen counter, and probably 5 ft long or so. They definantly hold a good several hundred pounds in each. (I would have quoted this, but my quote button isn't working for whatever reason)!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I'm also shocked that you might be able to fit a whole cow into one freezer. That's incredible. How much room in those freezers did you have left? And I suppose you didn't keep the legs. You're one who doesn't feed weight bearing bones of animals that size, right? I can't keep track of who is comfortable feeding what anymore. My brain's also fuzzy because I have been angrily reading Peta's latest garbage. I can never think well after that.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

We have one whole leg in the larger freezer in the barn that we haven't cut up yet. And your right, I don't feed weight bearing bones at all. Cut up right, you can easily pack a whole cow in a Couple of large deep freezers. We didn't keep the head, neck or most of the ribs. We had intended to use our nephews tractor bucket to string the cow up like you would a deer to process, but the tractor was broke down at the time. So, we had to leave the cow on its side in the bed of Wayne's little Chevy S10 truck. It was very difficult to process that way, and dark was catching us. So, a lot that should have been processed probably wasn't. But even still, between both of our freezers we could have actually gotten more in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO