Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My Husband Has Joined The Raw Campaign

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Ever since I started Leia on her 6 month food trial, my husband has been addimently opposed to my feeding of raw. He has complained about the freezer space, complained about my making Leia a picky eater by constantly giving her new foods, and blaming everything he doesn't like about the dogs on raw food.

"Sandy's breath is FOUL. It never used to be foul before you started feeding raw."

"She's not on raw. It's just Leia."

"Well Leia's breath stinks too."

>.>

Suddenly, out of the blue, he's changed his mind. He asked me yesterday to switch all the dogs to Leia's diet, and just donated a whole huge mounding over pile of fresh meat scraps for the dogs raw diet.

I haven't sorted through the scraps yet to see if there's anything interesting in it yet, but the offer is a big deal and a total reversal from last week when he was trying his hardest to convince me Leia hated the diet and I should give up the whole endeavor.

What do you thinks changed his mind?

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and Swinn like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Who knows what changed his mind! All that matters is that he changed it!

Have you asked him what changed his mind?
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

The more benefits he sees from feeding raw, the more he will be all for it! I know, been down that road myself several years ago!  :thumbsu:

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Shane took a little bit of work at first, he was just worried about whether Gim would get sick or if WE would get sick from bacteria and the mess, etc. He has come around, he sees the benefits (cost, Gim's health), and the mess is not as bad anymore because Gim stays contained in the kitchen (he loved running off with his meal, usually went for the bed).

I don't know, I guess it's the mother/nurturing role women take on instinctively, we just do what we believe is best for our kids, fur or human. It seems more often that women are the ones initiating the raw diet, and men just sort of seem to see that we were right (duh :P ) and join in on the fun. I'm still in charge of Gim's diet, but he's now relaxed about what I feed him and even watches Gim do his thing with a big grin on his face (so totally a "That's my boy!" moment) :P

• naturalfeddogs and Swinn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Shane took a little bit of work at first, he was just worried about whether Gim would get sick or if WE would get sick from bacteria and the mess, etc. He has come around, he sees the benefits (cost, Gim's health), and the mess is not as bad anymore because Gim stays contained in the kitchen (he loved running off with his meal, usually went for the bed).

I don't know, I guess it's the mother/nurturing role women take on instinctively, we just do what we believe is best for our kids, fur or human. It seems more often that women are the ones initiating the raw diet, and men just sort of seem to see that we were right (duh :P ) and join in on the fun. I'm still in charge of Gim's diet, but he's now relaxed about what I feed him and even watches Gim do his thing with a big grin on his face (so totally a "That's my boy!" moment) :P

After about five years of feeding raw here, none of us have been sick. The dogs sometimes drag meat across the floor. I mop, but just use hot water. After handling raw, I can't tell you how many times I have just washed my hands in hot water and then handled our own food. Maybe we are able to build somewhat of an immunity over time? Not sure, but I do know none of us in our house have ever been sick. I handle it the same way I do our own meat before cooking.

• Iorveth and GimMom like this

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I wish I could say it was a nuturing instinct that steered me towards raw. In all actuallity I'm one of those cold-hearted analytical sciency types. When I investigated raw as a possible way to help Leia and found there was so much confusion on the topic, I decided to do a six month trial in order to decide for myself if it was any good.

Thus far I'm extremely impressed, and the research that I've been able to find holds up.

• GimMom and Swinn like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
I'm good about cleaning and we haven't been sick yet, either. I just have to be on top of taking out the garbage after preparing his portions for the week, since the skin and fat stink after a day.

I was trying to be scientific about raw, but it was really the "at the end of my rope" feeling I had from the allergy battle that got me switching. Even with all of the hiccups along the way, I'm still having zero regrets from going raw.
  • Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Nick questioned me at first. He was all for switching from Pedigree to something better but he wasn't so sure about raw. He didn't say no because he knew that I would do what I wanted with MY dog regardless of how he felt. We had been married less than a year and I had had Dude for nearly 8 years by then. So he was, very much, still my dog at that point. I don't think he entirely understood what I was wanting to do. He complained a little at first about having to feed more complex meals but now he just gets out the meat, portions it, and feeds. He is actually in charge of feeding Dude and Buck. I only feed Iorveth. Somehow he passed me on knowing what works best for those two! He can't seem to feed Iorveth without giving him cannon butt though. I ask him to once in a while to feed Iorveth and I have to tell him EXACTLY what to feed. He always already has their food out so all I have to do is take it and give it to the other two when he asks me to feed them. We've really become a well oiled machine when it comes to feeding.

• naturalfeddogs, lilasmom and GimMom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Nick questioned me at first. He was all for switching from Pedigree to something better but he wasn't so sure about raw. He didn't say no because he knew that I would do what I wanted with MY dog regardless of how he felt. We had been married less than a year and I had had Dude for nearly 8 years by then. So he was, very much, still my dog at that point. I don't think he entirely understood what I was wanting to do. He complained a little at first about having to feed more complex meals but now he just gets out the meat, portions it, and feeds. He is actually in charge of feeding Dude and Buck. I only feed Iorveth. Somehow he passed me on knowing what works best for those two! He can't seem to feed Iorveth without giving him cannon butt though. I ask him to once in a while to feed Iorveth and I have to tell him EXACTLY what to feed. He always already has their food out so all I have to do is take it and give it to the other two when he asks me to feed them. We've really become a well oiled machine when it comes to feeding.

Wayne loves that we feed raw, and he brags about it to everyone. But, he really doesn't know HOW to feed it. I have left food already out for him to feed if I'm not going to be there, but if I ever left him completley in charge all the time...... man. I don't even want to think about the mess we would have! LOL!

• Iorveth and GimMom like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Jon fed raw before we met. But he isn't the biggest fan of meat prep or butchering. It's all good because I enjoy it lol
  • naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Wayne loves that we feed raw, and he brags about it to everyone. But, he really doesn't know HOW to feed it. I have left food already out for him to feed if I'm not going to be there, but if I ever left him completley in charge all the time...... man. I don't even want to think about the mess we would have! LOL!

This is 100% my boyfriend as well.  When I said I was switching the dogs he was just like ok, I already had the cat and ferrets on it by this point so he saw it coming.  Talks it up to everyone but if I'm not there to feed them I have to pre fill the bowls, he doesn't really have a clue what they get or need. 

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
My SO is completely fine with me feeding raw. Then again, he is my dog so I can pretty much do whatever I want. My SO actually used to feed his dogs raw intestines and scraps. I guess that the country he grew up in didn't really have many pet food stores because he says they never really got kibble for their dogs.

He does think I'm a little obsessive about what my dog eats though but that's only because everyone feels the need to spoil him with treats. "Oh you're so cute, here let me give you a hot dog." So annoying.
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

We adopted Gimli together, so I could understand his "what the ..?" reaction at first, he is kind of our "kid". :P But he didn't say no, either, because he wanted Gim's issues to be over, too. So he kind of stood back and let me do my thing, and now he embraces it a lot more. He'll feed him if I get home late, as long as I point out what to give him and when. He's getting the hang of it!

Shane isn't there yet, but he will be :P 

Jon fed raw before we met. But he isn't the biggest fan of meat prep or butchering. It's all good because I enjoy it lol

Same here, it's my stress relief. I kind of almost prefer he not do it, because I enjoy it so much. :P But if he asks to join in some time, I'm not going to say no, since it'll speed up the process.

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
I'm single so no issues there. Lol
When I tell people I feed raw I usually get weird looks. But a few weeks ago my aunt was saying she would love to have a French bulldog, but knows she would need to feed it like I do to be healthy. I was surprised she said it, I guess my family talks a lot. I never told her I fed raw. Co workers are talking about switching too. Even my mom was skeptic, but now she tells everyone about it and how great the dogs look. My dad works in advertising and finds out when meats are going on sale a week before its advertised. He always lets me know and if he runs into any good deals he'll pick them up. I've seen more of a raw movement and acceptance this past year. Petco even sent a flier about their new raw section.

Glad your husbands on board :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Usually when I say I feed raw, I get the wth face from people. I've met more people with that reaction than raw feeders, though I'm meeting more lately. Which excites me. Those dog parents also seem to have better behaved dogs, too. At least in my experience, so far!

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
When I told the meat guy at the grocery store that the chicken wings were for the dogs I think he went into shock. :)
When you check out with pig feet, turkey necks, calf veal,chicken feet, livers, gizzards and hearts, cow tongue, kidney and other odd findings they ask NO questions. Probably weirds them out. ;)

Last month at the food pick up I met a lady who breeds Boxers and another lady that breeds mini aussies. It is exciting. The pick up in that area has really grown.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

When I told the meat guy at the grocery store that the chicken wings were for the dogs I think he went into shock. :)
When you check out with pig feet, turkey necks, calf veal,chicken feet, livers, gizzards and hearts, cow tongue, kidney and other odd findings they ask NO questions. Probably weirds them out. ;)

Last month at the food pick up I met a lady who breeds Boxers and another lady that breeds mini aussies. It is exciting. The pick up in that area has really grown.

That's funny, cause it's the same here! We will find stuff on sale like pork ribs, beef briskets, liver etc... and the cashier say's something like "you sure are going to be having quite a meal". And then good lord, the looks we get when we say "It's for our dogs, we feed a raw diet".  For just a few seconds, the cashiers world stops turning and they have to hold themselves up. LOL! Then it's "For your dogs?? REALLY???"

• Pixel and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That's funny, cause it's the same here! We will find stuff on sale like pork ribs, beef briskets, liver etc... and the cashier say's something like "you sure are going to be having quite a meal". And then good lord, the looks we get when we say "It's for our dogs, we feed a raw diet".  For just a few seconds, the cashiers world stops turning and they have to hold themselves up. LOL! Then it's "For your dogs?? REALLY???"

I got the same reaction at the health food store when I got slippery elm for Gimli, and St. Andrew's Poultry, where I buy his chicken backs and turkey necks. Though surprised, the cashier was also pleased when I told them I'd been spreading the word about their store because of how nice they are and the great prices, The butcher wasn't surprised, though, I guess there's a few other people who go there for the same reason :P

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Hehe, sounds exactly like my fiance :).
  • naturalfeddogs, GimMom and Ravena like this

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I'm lucky in a way, since my FI hasn't had a dog before (his family are cat-only people) that most of what I suggest he's game for.  The concept of raw was a bit daunting for him at first but now he's like the others - he likes to brag and explain the concept to others.

Plus he loves watching her eat the bigger pieces, its really entertaining how excited she gets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO