Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Super New- Help!

pitbull raw new help puppy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Champagne_Mom

Champagne_Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So, I just got my pitbull. She's 7 weeks old. She's very playful all of the time! But, when it comes to feeding time, she has no interest at all. I'm trying to switch her over to Raw. She had Beef Cubes last night, (She seemed to enjoy them!) but she has a serious case of diarrhea. I woke up maybe 4 times last night to take her outside. Should I be worried? She was of course fed kibble at first, but she is extremely skinny.

I need help, please! Anything helps.
Ps. Just tried to feed her livers, but it was a complete fail. I am trying to feed her twice a day, but I already feel like I am failing as a new pitbull mom. /:
  • Natavaea and OctavioMype like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Red meats are rich, and aren't usually introduced for a few weeks. Stop the beef, and go with bone in chicken, like quarters or backs. After a week and a half or so, assuming poops have straightened out, move on to turkey and do the same. Then pork, beef and other red meats. 

• Champagne_Mom and Natavaea like this

Champagne_Mom

Champagne_Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Red meats are rich, and aren't usually introduced for a few weeks. Stop the beef, and go with bone in chicken, like quarters or backs. After a week and a half or so, assuming poops have straightened out, move on to turkey and do the same. Then pork, beef and other red meats.

Thank you very much! I will do that! Should I still introduce the red meat as a treat once a day?
  • OctavioMype likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I wouldn't right now. Some small pieces of chicken, or even chicken feet as treats are fine. During the transition period, the more you add the more you risk potential digestive upset.

• Champagne_Mom likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I have started dogs on red meats without trouble (beef, deer, goat). The issue I see is no bone, which will cause loose stool. The "transition" that naturalfeddogs describes is intended to help prevent stomach upset. A couple of things to consider is meat and bone ratio--you need some bone to help keep stool firm (if you need a "hard number," then about 10% bone, but this varies. Some need more, some are OK with less). Organs can be introduced early on, but should be given in small amounts, gradually increased over time. My dog won't eat liver unless its frozen. If this sounds too daunting, then start with chicken quarters (leg and thigh). Good luck! :)

Champagne_Mom

Champagne_Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have started dogs on red meats without trouble (beef, deer, goat). The issue I see is no bone, which will cause loose stool. The "transition" that naturalfeddogs describes is intended to help prevent stomach upset. A couple of things to consider is meat and bone ratio--you need some bone to help keep stool firm (if you need a "hard number," then about 10% bone, but this varies. Some need more, some are OK with less). Organs can be introduced early on, but should be given in small amounts, gradually increased over time. My dog won't eat liver unless its frozen. If this sounds too daunting, then start with chicken quarters (leg and thigh). Good luck! :)

Thanks so much!! I will try it with bone! :)

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Good advice here. 7 weeks isn't very big, might want to look at chicken wings as well, maybe take the skin off.

Pit bull pups are one of my fav's, we love pictures!

Baynyn

Baynyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I have a pup too, not quite as young as yours, but still little.  She was on kibble for a little while and we just started raw food about a week ago and it's gone great so far.

In addition to the great advice above, I suggest reading the beginner's guide through start to finish, and then refer to it often about specific questions you might have.  It's been invaluable when I've got questions, and when there is something that I can't find there, I come to the forums.  It's a great community!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pitbull, raw, new, help, puppy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO