Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Limited Vaccines

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Some good info...

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Where can you buy shots to administer by yourself?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Feed or farm stores have them

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I have even heard of some pet stores carrying them. I have never seen that, so I get mine from the feed store. I have noticed my smaller stores are cheaper than the larger ones (like Del's) and they are knowledgeable (in my experience!)

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

I read somewhere that titers are not reliable in the way they are used. That if it doesn't show the animal is immune at the moment the test is taken that it doesn't mean it is not immune, just that the antibodies are not activated at that time. I'll have to try and find that article again.

Here it is...found it on mypetcarnivore.com under Inform Yourself at the bottom right

Vaccines...Titers: What do they tell us?

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Titers.htm

• Prey Model Raw likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I do my own shots from the feed store. The canine spectra 7 and don't remember what the cat one is, but I do get the shot for leukemia, since she goes outside to play and go potty. She tries to interact with other cats but they don't always seem too keen to play back. lol

We do our own rabies as well. I have heard because a vet isn't documenting my shots they don't count, but I keep track anyways ... Especially since Calvin likes to chase possums and raccoons at night or early morning. Need to look into the limited/no vaccines. Very informative post. Got me thinking! :)

Just so you know, FeLV shots are not very effective... That's why most rescues will not adopt out to people who will have indoor/outdoor cats.

I would take her out on leash or in one of those cat playpens if you want to let her out.

I know some people let their cats out, but I really wouldn't advise doing it unless you live in the middle of nowhere or something. Over here (I live in an urban area) risk of a cat catching FIV/FeLV is extremely high due to the amount of stray cats.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
From what I'm reading, most vaccines are not effective anyways

We do not live in a city, we are in a small town, and on our road there are only 7 houses. We all look out for each other's animals, and there are two dogs that protect the cats that live on our road. If I took the cat out on a leash, I'm not sure who would kill her first, me or her. lol She pretty much hangs around our property, and our neighbor's property anyways. Different strokes for different folks. :)

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

From what I'm reading, most vaccines are not effective anyways

We do not live in a city, we are in a small town, and on our road there are only 7 houses. We all look out for each other's animals, and there are two dogs that protect the cats that live on our road. If I took the cat out on a leash, I'm not sure who would kill her first, me or her. lol She pretty much hangs around our property, and our neighbor's property anyways. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Read back on it and woops it was actually FIV that they suggested really against (because it's basically extremely ineffective to a point where there is no use in vaccinating them). Yearly FeLV vaccines can cause sarcoma and kidney problems though.

Yeah I mean that sounds like a different situation from over here (urban neighbourhood, tons of strays probably carrying FeLV, FIV, etc., lots of cars, highways, etc.).

Leash training a cat can be pretty easy with the help of clicker training... but yeah I guess we will have to agree to disagree :) I would never let any of my cats out without supervision -- dog or cat, they need to be supervised, that's just my two cents.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

So I read everything in this thread, to learn about non-vaccinating. I always got my dogs and cats vaccinated yearly. Which I'll probably stop now except for rabies.

The thing is, we foster cats for a local rescue and our foster cats get vaccinated but sometimes they aren't vaccinated when they enter our house. Would I be risking my own cats' health by not having them vaccinated and continuing to foster? :/ I'm worried.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would keep your cats and foster cats separated just to make sure everyone is safe. 

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yikes, that's not possible :/ Everyone has to live together here... Unfortunately. I don't have a house big enough to separate my cats :(

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK
My vet says my Pepper is due for distemper, coronavirus, and bordarella. I was on the fence about whether or not to do yearly vaccinations, but after reading all these posts I think I will just do the rabies when it is required. Thanks everyone for the great info!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

My vet says my Pepper is due for distemper, coronavirus, and bordarella. I was on the fence about whether or not to do yearly vaccinations, but after reading all these posts I think I will just do the rabies when it is required. Thanks everyone for the great info!

Well, at the very least to appease your vet you can do a distemper/parvo titer. Not necessarily to "prove" immunity. 

I would just do a RV when required by law. The law is more dangerous than the disease nowadays. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Cloudiie

Cloudiie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

My feelings on this is, as humans we only get vaccinated as children, and only to a certain age, we do not get boosters our whole lives so why give them to our animals.

While I do agree that the reccommended vaccinations for pets border on excessive, especially in frequency. We humans get most of our vaccines as children, but there are vaccines that you have to get into adulthood as well. I know I'm about due for tetanus. And there's the yearly flu shot. (Can't remember the others I've gotten, or will have to get. I'd much rather be the person with the needle in my hand than the one being poked).

Vaccines don't "wear off" so much as the disease changes and adapts such that a new vaccine has to be made with a few diseases. Some vets may be preying on that (which legitimately applies to something like the flu but not so much with something like rabies) and using it to make more $$.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

And there's the yearly flu shot. 

The flu shot is really just a gamble because there are so many strains of flu and the vaccine will only cover a handful of them. I feel like only people who are really high risk should even consider getting a flu shot. It's a way for the human medical industry to make money while people take blind faith into something that is supposed to keep them safe. 

I've never gotten a flu shot before in my life LOL

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I've had two flu shots in the last two years, but I don't feel like the fact that I didn't get sick last winter was thanks to the vaccine. The winter before, I still got a flu and a nasty cold as well. I feel like the fact that I wasn't sick at ALL last winter (not even a sniffle) was more to my immunity building from being exposed to the bacteria in the raw meat I handle (and the meaty floors I sometimes step on, haha). I smoked roughly a pack a day, and to not even get a cold was pretty extraordinary for me. 

For my guys, I've only done the puppy vaccines, DHPP and the rabies 3 year vaccine. Gimli is due for his rabies next year, and I'm opting to titre instead, because I've heard of the vaccine having an efficacy of 7 years. I'd rather do that than stick them yearly.

I don't do HW preventative, at least not the meds. I do the wellness exam as well as 4DX HW to make sure they're in the clear, and I'm trying the Guinness beer method for HW prevention.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO