Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From The Pnw!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MalGirl3

MalGirl3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My name is Heather, and I have two dogs, soon to be three in my home.

Rory, is a 10.5yr old GSD/Lab female that I adopted more than 10yrs ago, from a puppy rescue when she was 3 months old.

Alexa, is a 4yr old Malinois/GSD female that I adoped from a local GSD rescue 2.5yrs ago.

Zephan is an unknown aged Belgian Malinois that I will be picking up this weekend. He was originally guessed to be about 2-3yrs old, but the gal who evaluated him thinks he might be closer to 4yrs old or so.  He was transported from a kill shelter to a no kill shelter, and I got in touch with a girl who pulled him for me, and I will get him from her. I initially told her I would foster him, but it sounds like his temperament is perfect for both of my girls, so there's a better than likely chance he will stay. :)

Zephan is very underweight, and I will be working on getting him back to a healthy state.

I have fed raw off and on for several years, mostly premade, from Darwin's or Common Sense.

I'd like to do more of my own assembly of balanced raw for them.

One of the reasons I have done the premade, is the intimidating factor of not making it balanced.

I'm sure once I have it figured out, it will not seem so daunting.

I am here to learn as much as I can for the benefit of my dogs. :)

Attached Files

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Don't let PMR intimidate you. It's really not as hard as it seems. Feed variety, mostly meat, some bone and some organ. We are all glad to help talk you through each step. Just remember, balance comes over time, not all at once.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Hey Heather,

Rory and Alexa look great. Can't wait to see the "after" photos of Zephan when the time comes.

To echo what Jenny said, if you follow the PRM model you'd be hard pressed not to be "balanced." It is good to diversify proteins. It is good to feed a variety of organs. And to stay near 10% bone.

You can accept this, or like me, look ip every known nutritional requirement for dogs and compare them against published nutritional analysis of all the animal parts you might feed. I'm "skeptial" by nature, so I did the long exercise. Conclusion: a PMR diet meets or exceeds all of a dog's nutritional needs. The one caveat is EPA and DHA (Omega 3) levels in conventional meat is low and should be supplemented with fish oil or feeding oily fish.

Unfortunately feeding raw PNW salmon/trout can cause "salmon poisoning." I feed mackerel, sardines, herring, and anchovies, but most use fish oil.

Everyone develops his or her own "style." I prefer balancing meals pretty tightly to the 80/10/10 model, and I serve a mix proteins in every meal. Then further balance with diversity over time. I'd rather, for example, feed 2.5 oz of organ every day as opposed to feeding over a pound of organs once a week. You'll have to figure which style works for you and your dogs. 

It really is pretty easy once you get used to feeding in proportions. The consistency of stool is a pretty good feed-back mechanism. 

It is a very supportive community here if you need guidance. 

All the best,

Bill

MalGirl3

MalGirl3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thank you for the replies!

I would probably prefer to also have each meal balanced, rather than over the week.

I do give fish oil to my girls, they think they are treats. I have given them to Z as well, he will chew on them until the oil comes out, and spit out the capsule. 

I have recently started to add hemp seed (for me as well), and I bought a bottle of Ultra Oil with hemp seed in it. I am gradually adding that to their food.

Zephan is already showing progress. His coat no longer feels like straw, and it is getting softer each day.

He is gradually filling in, and in the few days or so, he has become playful and has more energy.

I love seeing him transform, but I hate that he was ever in that bad of shape. 

MalGirl3

MalGirl3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I was able to add photos from my phone on the initial post, but now I cannot find that option when I post. I don't use photobucket, etc so I don;t have url's.

Is there a way to still upload from my computer or phone?

Edit to add: I figured it out! 

MalGirl3

MalGirl3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I figured it out! LOL

This is day 10 here. His coat is so much better than it was, and he is gradually filling in. I can still feel his spine, but it is not as prominent.

I took the last pic yesterday. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see the change in his eyes! 

I told the gal that I want to officially adopt Zephan. I have fallen in love with this boy! 

I am waiting for the adoption contract and for everything to be signed over to me.

Attached Files

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Congrats!! I hope it works out for you!!

• MalGirl3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO