Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Minced Chicken With Tripe (Bone Included) Is It Enough ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

McGinley888

McGinley888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScotland

Hi i recently got my first pup 2 months ago and switched her to a raw diet over the last 5 weeks. She is now 17 weeks and loves her food but after reading even more into things i am worried i may not be including all the nutrients she needs. Her diet consists of minced chicken and tripe with a very small amount of liver (bone included in the mince) i throw in a few vegetables such as carrots/asparagus or fruits and grind them up as i read it makes it easier to digest. Can anyone more experienced offer any advice to the diet i am providing e.g what am i missing etc.

Thanks in advance.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

In short, no. That alone and you are going to be looking at nutritional defiancies. The more different proteins you can add, at least four the better.

Dogs really aren't designed to digest fruits and veggies, and even in a pureed state get very little out of them. It could in fact make digesting harder, since their bodies aren't designed for them.

McGinley888

McGinley888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScotland

Thanks what is it id be missing ? or lacking ?
I thought that about the veggies etc but she loves them, i will cut them out from now on if it has no benefit to her.

Which proteins would be best to add ? sorry for all the questions, just want to seek some experienced advice as most advice giving all say different things.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Veggies are OK as a treat, but they aren't a necessary diet component.

Meats I feed include: goat, deer, beef, lamb, rabbit, chicken, turkey, duck, and cornish hen. Most often available for us are chicken, duck, rabbit, beef, and goat. I should be getting a couple of free whole turkeys soon, so they'll be on the menu for awhile. You can feed eggs as well. My dog usually won't eat the shell unless its crushed and mixed with other food. Since he gets enough bone, I don't care if he doesn't eat the shell.

As for what cuts of meat to feed... I offer everything from tongue to tail. There are a couple things he's picky about, but he'll eat about 90+ percent of a whole carcass (depending on the animal species). I don't grind or mince anything; whole pieces help keep the teeth clean and its easier to prepare the food. Of course, if I have ground meat for myself and don't eat it while it's still appealing, it goes to the dog.

I usually feed liver once a week rather than giving a bit with each meal, but it depends on what I have available. Some people do a weekly meal of liver, others feed a little bit of liver over the course of the week (at each meal). The only supplement I occasionally add is some salmon oil (poured over his meal). If you have grass-fed meat, then you don't need to add oil since it naturally occurs in the meat (feedlot/grain-fed animals don't have the extra omegas in their meat since its not in their diet).

Good luck! :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Thanks what is it id be missing ? or lacking ?
I thought that about the veggies etc but she loves them, i will cut them out from now on if it has no benefit to her.

Which proteins would be best to add ? sorry for all the questions, just want to seek some experienced advice as most advice giving all say different things.

Proteins have different nutrients, which is why variety is so important for nutritional balance. Aside from organs, red meats are the next most nutrious. Fat is also essential for energy. 

I feed a variety including beef, deer, pork,lamb, chicken, turkey, beef liver, beef kidney, lung, and fish oil. 

McGinley888

McGinley888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScotland
Thanks very much for the replies. So basically the thing im missing is a wider variety of proteins. Im going to be buying more tomorrow and will buy numerous things on the list mentioned :). I tried feeding non minced but my wife freaked out when our pup was crunching through bones and was left with a bit bone on the chicken wing to go and she just swallowed it, is that normal? Once again cheers for the replies its appreciated.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Non ground/minced is best. Large chunks are best for chewing purposes .Edible bone is necessary in a raw diet for teeth cleaning, nutrients and firm poop. Bone is fully digestable, but sometimes it takes the dogs body some time to adjust. What your dog did with a chicken wing sounds perfectly normal. 

Have you read the getting started guide at the top? It has good info on getting started. Do be sure to start with chicken, then move on to turkey, then pork, beef etc....Give each protein about a week at least before moving on to the next. 

McGinley888

McGinley888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScotland
I assumed it was normal but the mrs freaked out. Pups been on chicken for 2.5 weeks now and before that i fed natures menu which is a brand that does raw chunks here in Scotland (may be different name in other countrys) but it was becoming too expensive. I will give that a read tonight when i get home thanks again :) and tomorrow maybe introduce some new protein to her.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

It sounds like things are going well. I would feed one protein per day until she's used to the different meats. I would also keep organ (particularly liver) in the meals. Start with a small amount of organ and gradually increase as she's able to handle it (too much too soon can cause stomach upset).

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I assumed it was normal but the mrs freaked out. Pups been on chicken for 2.5 weeks now and before that i fed natures menu which is a brand that does raw chunks here in Scotland (may be different name in other countrys) but it was becoming too expensive. I will give that a read tonight when i get home thanks again :) and tomorrow maybe introduce some new protein to her.

Definantly time to move on to the next protein, turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO