Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Great Dane With Zero Manners...need Ideas.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Ok.  So we have this very sad situation at work.  This guy owns this intact merle Great Dane male.  He is about 1.5 years old, and about 112 lbs. He is VERY VERY VERY high energy. He jumps around and barks ALL DAY.  He boards with us pretty much 2 weeks out of every month which is REALLY SAD! We don't even know why his owner has him.  

Anyway, I'm looking for ways to deal with him.  I absolutely despise this dog.  He has no manners, no respect, no brains.  He is a product of his enviroment unfortunately.  He also LOVES ME, which is ironic because I can't stand him.  

He is a 'TLC' dog meaning we are forced to take him out for 20 minutes every day and walk him around as well as spend "15 minutes of 1 on 1 play time" so we pretty much have to walk him for 35 minutes daily in addition to his two 5 minute walks.  I've been working with him on sitting and waiting for me to open gates and not barging through.  My biggest issue is that he will LEAP into the air at any chance he gets.  He has no respect for space and will just launch himself at you, slobber flying, legs flailing.  Its obnoxious and dangerous to say the least.  If he takes too long to understand the sit and wait commands, he will throw a fit and jump at  you.  

He is seriously ruining the breed for me.  

I should also mention that he does not poop on leash, he insists on pooping (and peeing) in his kennel, spreading it everywhere and jumping up onto the door and flinging it in your face....delightful.

He is not food motivated, praise just gets him more riled up and makes him jump on you more.  

I've been working on such basic things during his 'TLC' time but he just does not understand anything because he is wound much too tightly.  We want to work on training him for our safety and sanity since he has to board here so often.  Dealing with him is NOT FUN.

What would you do?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would fast him, and then do NILF with him on walks....he has to EARN his meals.

Dogs that aren't food motivated need to have their motivations changed. If he doesn't eat EXCEPT for when he's on walks, behaving appropriately, he should learn fairly quickly. 

I don't know if this strategy is something you can use to your advantage though. 

Could you also incorporate clicker training in with him? I have a pretty good idea what this Dane is like, as I've met a few like that. I do know that they respond really well to the clicker in my experience. 

What he really needs is someone who can really work with him and give him a chance. This is one reason why temperament is SO important when producing these dogs. They're just too big to be assholes. 

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I agree with Natalie. Clicker training is probably your best bet. You could even use attention as a reward. I assume he is kennels at your work? How is he when you approach the kennel? Because that is where I would start. Now have you tried everything as far as food? I would be thinking he needs something like steak coming his way. Also I agree with withholding one meal to see I that motivates him.

But if its just attention he wants you could stand at his kennel and wait for a calm moment. This may take a while but be patient. Click the calm moment, open the kennel for his reward. If he's too crazy start again. Close kennel. Wait for calm moment. Click. Open kennel. If too crazy place back in kennel. You may need two people for this. It would be a lot easier if you could find food to motivate him. If you do find food that motivates. It would look more like this: wait for calm moment click treat. Rinse and repeat. When he is calm and you are ready to open the gate, click for calm. Open gate and toss handful of yummy treats behind him. The goal here is that he is too busy looking for treats to jump on you.

Then when he's out of his kennel he gets clicks and pets for calm 4 on the floor be behavior . Or train an automatic sit. He does not get clicks or attention if he is not sitting.

You may need two people for such a large dog. The "rude" behavior has been rewarded positively and negatively for a long time (or at least that's how it sounds)...if you had two people (and one was able to keep hold of him on leash) you could work on greeting people. Walk towards him, toss some treats on the floor walk away. Rinse and repeat. Then walk towards him but only give clicks and pets when he is not over the top excited. With two people you could def work on getting his sit to be the default behavior. You walk toward him ask for a sit (if he knows it)...click then pet when he responds. If he gets to excitable walk away and try again.  You could walk towards him and wait the sit out.  This would take longer at the beginning, but I feel like they grasp the concept a bit stronger if they have to figure things out for themselves a bit.  Then click and treat (or pet) depending on what is working for him.

I don't really have anything for the pottying in the kennel, but I would think that rewarding any outside pottying would be the place to start.

Its funny because you dislike him sooo much I want to meet him.

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I would fast him, and then do NILF with him on walks....he has to EARN his meals.

Dogs that aren't food motivated need to have their motivations changed. If he doesn't eat EXCEPT for when he's on walks, behaving appropriately, he should learn fairly quickly. 

I don't know if this strategy is something you can use to your advantage though. 

Could you also incorporate clicker training in with him? I have a pretty good idea what this Dane is like, as I've met a few like that. I do know that they respond really well to the clicker in my experience. 

What he really needs is someone who can really work with him and give him a chance. This is one reason why temperament is SO important when producing these dogs. They're just too big to be assholes. 

I can definitely incorporate the clicker into things.  The bosses said to just do what we have to do.  

Unfortunately he cannot earn his meals. He is always under weight and we feed him A TON of kibble.  He is not the biggest dane but I would want him at 120lbs but he fluctuates between 100-112.  He has to eat.  

Another crappy thing is that his owner has a girlfriend with 6 Great Danes that she breeds. He will be bred to 2 of her females...just LOVELY! LOL

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Can his food be used as rewards? Does he like it enough to work for it?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I agree with Natalie. Clicker training is probably your best bet. You could even use attention as a reward. I assume he is kennels at your work? How is he when you approach the kennel? Because that is where I would start. Now have you tried everything as far as food? I would be thinking he needs something like steak coming his way. Also I agree with withholding one meal to see I that motivates him.

But if its just attention he wants you could stand at his kennel and wait for a calm moment. This may take a while but be patient. Click the calm moment, open the kennel for his reward. If he's too crazy start again. Close kennel. Wait for calm moment. Click. Open kennel. If too crazy place back in kennel. You may need two people for this. It would be a lot easier if you could find food to motivate him. If you do find food that motivates. It would look more like this: wait for calm moment click treat. Rinse and repeat. When he is calm and you are ready to open the gate, click for calm. Open gate and toss handful of yummy treats behind him. The goal here is that he is too busy looking for treats to jump on you.

Then when he's out of his kennel he gets clicks and pets for calm 4 on the floor be behavior . Or train an automatic sit. He does not get clicks or attention if he is not sitting.

You may need two people for such a large dog. The "rude" behavior has been rewarded positively and negatively for a long time (or at least that's how it sounds)...if you had two people (and one was able to keep hold of him on leash) you could work on greeting people. Walk towards him, toss some treats on the floor walk away. Rinse and repeat. Then walk towards him but only give clicks and pets when he is not over the top excited. With two people you could def work on getting his sit to be the default behavior. You walk toward him ask for a sit (if he knows it)...click then pet when he responds. If he gets to excitable walk away and try again.  You could walk towards him and wait the sit out.  This would take longer at the beginning, but I feel like they grasp the concept a bit stronger if they have to figure things out for themselves a bit.  Then click and treat (or pet) depending on what is working for him.

I don't really have anything for the pottying in the kennel, but I would think that rewarding any outside pottying would be the place to start.

Its funny because you dislike him sooo much I want to meet him.

I can't do much about the food motivation thing. I am required to feed him on a schedule.  I will do the clicker training.  

You description of waiting for a calm moment before open the door is what I do already.  He jumps up and barks and whines like a maniac when you walk by or when he spies you.  Its kind of funny because he is TERRIFIED of one of the vets for NO REASON. She has never treated him, or dealt with him but he puts on this very deep bark and cowers and pees when she comes out.  

I don't like praising him much because it makes him go overboard. He will rub on you like a cat, slobber, jump, leap into the air above your head. He is really a terror.  

I don't like him at all but I also feel very sorry for him because he lives half his life in a kennel.  Then he flings shit in my face and I don't feel sorry for him anymore LOL

Thankfully he left today but will likely return before the month is out.  I will try to take a video of him for you next time he is with us.

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Can his food be used as rewards? Does he like it enough to work for it?

He was on TOTW but someone at work convinced him to buy Hills.  Snake won't eat it most of the time and he spits it out if I give it as a treat.  I tried giving some "heartgard tester" treats and some Hills treats but he spits them out.  

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I wonder if you could find a toy that he absolutely adores. Since that pretty much doesn't interfere with his food intake or his health.      

I would suggest to the owner to bring training treats that he likes or get an approval from them on things you can try to work with him, that way (heaven forbid) if a treat you use makes him sick, you're not liable. 

Can you suggest that he goes somewhere else that allows him more interaction, play time and mental stimulation? Sounds like this dog's life is lacking in every aspect which absolutely exacerbates this dog's behavioral issues. 

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I wonder if you could find a toy that he absolutely adores. Since that pretty much doesn't interfere with his food intake or his health.      

I would suggest to the owner to bring training treats that he likes or get an approval from them on things you can try to work with him, that way (heaven forbid) if a treat you use makes him sick, you're not liable. 

Can you suggest that he goes somewhere else that allows him more interaction, play time and mental stimulation? Sounds like this dog's life is lacking in every aspect which absolutely exacerbates this dog's behavioral issues. 

The only thing this dog likes is rawhides, unfortunately.  I could possibly use that as a training reward but I'm afraid he wouldn't let me have it back!  I will attempt it though.  He doesn't seem to care much about his toys while with us.  He is much too distracted.  

The book keeper/tech/receptionist/micro manager extraodinaire wants to get him a friggin HALTI. I flat out told her that I would not walk him in a Halti.  Its not his pulling that is the biggest issues, its the jumping and zero respect.  I can't even imagine putting a Halti on this dog with out a huge wrestle match.  

I can ask the owner about training treats.  His owner is rather hands off, which is why the dog is so terrible in the first place.  He basically runs around free on a his ranch all day with no expectations of him.  

Also, I have suggested he go somewhere else.  The owner use to utilize a house sitter instead until he was burned pretty badly and came home to the dog starving, shit all over the house and the sitter had been gone a week.  So he put his dog with us...

I also suggested we put up a zipline so he can at least get some physical exercise instead of sitting in a kennel

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

The not going potty on a leash might be a learned behavior.  I don't allow my dogs to go potty while walking.  They have learned that walks are for exercise.  Can you try hooking multiple leashes together and ignoring him when you take him out?  

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

The not going potty on a leash might be a learned behavior.  I don't allow my dogs to go potty while walking.  They have learned that walks are for exercise.  Can you try hooking multiple leashes together and ignoring him when you take him out?  

Nope, I am not allowed to walk him on anything except a 4 foot leash that we provide. I do try to ignore him while walking but its hard when the dog is so large and the leash is so short. We end up walking around, he tries to yank me one way and another way. He will potty SOMETIMES. I know his schedule fairly well.  He pees on leash just fine, but if you don't take him out soon enough in the AM, he will poop in his kennel. He also pees all over his kennel.  He poops 2x in the AM but NEVER in the PM.  He is off leash all the time with his owner so I understand his difficulties.  Its not so much the defecating in the kennel, as it is spreading it all over the place and flinging it in your face.  I do suspect that he cannot help it simply due to his size and the small kennel space.  

He is returning this week for "3" days.  I put that in quotations because his owner is known for extending them for weeks.  

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Haven't updated but Snake came back again. I have figured a few things out.  

1 - He only acts excited/rambunctious with ME.  He cowers in the corner of the kennel or puts on a very deep bark when others walk by.  With me, he makes this high pitched whiny sound.  

2 - He will now "sit" and "stay" before I open the kennel to take him out.   :bow:

3 - He got loose when I was trying to "stiff arm his collar to keep him from molesting me".  He did not run away like he does with the others, he rebounded and then punched me in the face with his head, almost breaking my nose.  

4 - We have come to the conclusion that he likes me best because I feed and walk him most days when he is here.  

5 - I pray for the day when his owners moves to Florida to be with his girlfriend who breeds Great Danes.  Perhaps her dogs are more well behaved and she will train this poor dog.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Glad to hear that things are going better with him. It doesn't surprise me that he likes you best ;)

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Glad to hear that things are going better with him. It doesn't surprise me that he likes you best ;)

I wish that translated into "I like you, I won't jump on you, slobber on you or try to do you great harm".  Darn dog.  I feel so bad for him but he makes me so upset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO