Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Annoyed!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

So, I picked up approx 30 pounds of frozen rabbit for $40.00, and he downright refuses to eat it!  I tried feeding to to him frozen, thawed, cut up, smeared in peanut butter and olive oil...No luck!  He just gets this look on his face and puts his nose waayyy up in the air when I try hand feeding it to him haha!  I guess there isn't really anything else I can do, right?  I could look for someone else who needs it.  It is just very frustrating!!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

None of mine will eat rabbit either. A couple of them will eat wild rabbit, but not domestic raised. Just really not their favorite at all. 

You can try tough love for a day or so if you want, considering you paid a good bit for it. Offer it, and it only at each each time for a day or two, hoping he will get hungry enough to eat it. Maybe getting a good taste of it finally he would decide its not so bad. 

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Can't you try to sear it on the stove for a bit at the start?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Searing lightly can work, but you just need to back off the searing as the dog starts to eat it. Sometimes, searing anything to try to get them to eat itakes things worse, by "sugar coating" and creating a picky eater. Considering how much was bought, it may be worth a try, at least.

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Yeah, I'll try searing it tonight. If I can get him to eat it seared then that's fine, I'll just sear this batch and know not to buy rabbit again!

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Eh, he has such a fast metabolism and is a very active dog so I don't really like the idea of not feeding him, but thanks tho!!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

I've had to "tough love" mine. Yes, he striked and lost weight, but now he eats liver (which is important) without problem--as long as its frozen. ;) BTW, he gained the weight back in no time. LOL

You might try cutting the rabbit meat up and dehydrating it. Turning it into jerky treats may be more appealing.

• chkinut likes this

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
No luck with searing it. My friend gave me a separate bag of organs and he even refused to eat them, which he normally doesn't have a problem with organs. He just hates rabbit lol!
I'll try fasting him after tomorrow... Tomorrow I have a special wild turkey dinner for him... Turkey head, breast meat, and feet!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Good luck, keep us posted and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Awe, what a finicky guy! Good luck and happy thanksgiving!!

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I think vizslas are known for being picky eaters...
UGH, now he won't eat the wild turkey leg meat, head, or feet and I barely got him to eat venison heart. I think he's going on a hunger strike.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

It sounds like he is just being very picky, or he may not like the different taste of wild game. Pick one of the proteins, and offer it only at each meal time. Eventually, he will give in and eat. 

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay, so the fasting begins today. I need him to eat wild game because it's so healthy and free! I read that this lady had to do the same thing and it took her 6 days of fasting before he would eat. I'm not happy about it but he can't be fussy.
I tried hand feeding him a piece and he laid on the ground rolled over and stuck his nose up LOL

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Okay, so the fasting begins today. I need him to eat wild game because it's so healthy and free! I read that this lady had to do the same thing and it took her 6 days of fasting before he would eat. I'm not happy about it but he can't be fussy.
I tried hand feeding him a piece and he laid on the ground rolled over and stuck his nose up LOL

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Any update?

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
No luck! I caved after a few days. I tried turkey meat from the store just to see if he hates turkey or wild turkey... Gobbled it right up! He's back to eating sardines as well.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

No luck! I caved after a few days. I tried turkey meat from the store just to see if he hates turkey or wild turkey... Gobbled it right up! He's back to eating sardines as well.

You can always dehydrate or boil the meat he doesn't like and turn it into treats.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Sometimes the wild taste is just different and some dogs don't like it as well. Mine are the same way with wild turkey/domestic.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Have you tried searing the rabbit just enough to change the smell (but not enough to cook any bone)?

This has worked miracles with dogs who refuse raw chicken. Then you wean off the sear.

Worth a try, methinks.

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Any luck yet? I think you just have a dog who hates rabbit no matter what. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO