Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Dog Dislikes All Chicken I Give Him?

- - - - - chicken chicken hate new to raw

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

watchingheroesfall

watchingheroesfall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to PMR and everything seems to be going good in the stool department but my dog refuses all chicken I give him. I tried to start on chicken 4 days ago like everyone suggested but he wouldn't touch it no matter what I did. He doesn't seem to care for the flavor or the texture and he wont even try to gnaw the bone. I haven't had this problem with any other raw proteins I've given him. I just basically skipped chicken and went straight to everything else. Is this normal and is it okay? Should I try chicken again when its less new to him? I've been giving him a mix of ground turkey, pork neck bones, a little beef liver, finely chopped greens, and a little bit of beef heart. I expect to have some deer by next week to add in. Is this okay?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I would add more variety, and some more bone. You can try chicken again later if you want, but try some turkey necks, and pork ribs for some bone as well. He will get way more benefits from whole cuts of meats and bone, rather than ground. 

How long have you been on raw now? If its been a few weeks, you can also start to add more red meats in the way of beef along with the deer. Just remember they are rich and start slowly.

A minimum of at least four different proteins is best, so the more you can add the better.

watchingheroesfall

watchingheroesfall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Its only been 4 or 5 days now that hes been on raw. I've already introduced him to pork meat and bone, beef, deer scrap, ground turkey, chicken gizzards, chicken liver, beef liver, beef heart. My plan was to give him the chicken quarters first and rotate the other stuff in slowly but as I said he refused all but the small add ins of chicken liver and a couple of gizzards so I just started with the other meat and bone that I had stocked up on and had on hand. The chicken had most of the bone I'd planned to give him for his 10% but since he refuses to eat chicken (bone in or out) I plan to go tomorrow and pick up some more bone. Probably some pork rib bones as you've suggested and whatever else I can find. I haven't found a place that has turkey necks yet. I went to our butcher and two processing plants but so far nothing. A guy at one place gave me a number to call and ask a poultry processor that's a few towns over so I have that to do tomorrow. Any other bone suggestions would be good in the mean time.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

You could try rabbit, Cornish hens, deer ribs when you get some deer, goat ribs and shoulder. Lamb/sheep ribs and shoulders. I know of those things can be hard to find in stores, but you can use craigslist to place ads looking for those things when/if farmers butcher or lose an animal for some reason . I have done that, and had decent success. That way, you can find and meet some farmers in your area and get on a good terms with. 

Sometimes, it just takes some creativity to source some different proteins.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
I'd try lightly searing the chicken, not so much that you're anywhere near cooking the bone, but just enough to change the smell.

The smell ought to drive the dog crazy for chicken, and once the aversion is overcome you should be able to transition to totally raw. You might also consider serving frozen. Sometimes it can be a texture thing.

Bill
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chicken, chicken hate, new to raw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO