Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Destiny, Dodger, And Bby Brody

australian cattle dog american bulldog new puppy blue heeler allergies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

watchingheroesfall

watchingheroesfall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Destiny and I am currently the owner of a 3.5 male Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler) and a 12 week old American Bulldog puppy. I have just gotten the courage to make the plunge and start feeding my older dog raw so we are very new to this. I joined the community for the extra support because my vet is very against the idea of raw so I cant ask him any questions about it.

I got Dodger when he was 16 weeks old from a small puppy mill situation in a near by town. I went to see about the puppies listed in our local paper and was horrified at what I found. I got into it with the farmer and finally he got so angry that I felt it was safest to leave but told him I wasn't leaving without at least one of the pups that was still alive. Long story short (or less long) I got to take Dodger and get the hell outta Dodge. Which is where his name came from. At 6 months he developed signs of allergies and we self treated with benedryl for awhile before it got to the point that I didn't think it was good to let it go on without heavier medication. I've always felt raw would be better for Dodge since the allergies started but as I stated above I have just now gotten the courage to do it.

Brody was added about a week and a half ago and I am also thinking about raw for him but he seems to struggle with bones (or any heavy chewing) right now so I am postponing until he looses his milk teeth. Cant wait to do that as his breeder estimated he would be a little over 100 lbs and I think the calcium in raw bone will help in his bone growth and help him keep the weight off of his hips so they aren't over stressed in the future. I look forward to meeting all of you and updating everyone on their progress. 

Attached Files

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you!

When it comes to bones, in the beginning you can help them by smashing them with a hammer or kitchen mallet some until they are sort of bean bag like. There are plenty of people who wean puppies directly onto raw, and once their teeth are in they can start working on bone.

watchingheroesfall

watchingheroesfall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Thanks for the welcome! I did look at some videos on YouTube of puppies younger than him eating raw but i just don't know if I trust him. He just doesn't seem to chew like other puppies I've had and seems to have a very...soft mouth i guess. Idk how to explain it. But as soon as I get Dodger fully transitioned and get a little more into the rhythm of it I will probably turn my attention to transitioning Brody as well. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: australian cattle dog, american bulldog, new, puppy, blue heeler, allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO