Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

solefald

solefald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Hello all,

New guy here. I am from San Diego and have two carnivorous bastards - 13 y/o cat Nixon and a 3 month old Vizsla Dre ;) Found this site through Reddit. The cat is pretty much in Weruva canned food of chicken and tuna and Dre is on Orijen Puppy food right now. I am looking forward to switching both of thems to raw

Attached Files

• Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

Welcome! Love your animals. They are both very cute. This is the right place to get the info you need to switch.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Nixon and Dre are both adorable! You will love the world of raw! The benefits are amazing!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome to the community!!! We will look forward to helping you every step of the way!!! 

When do you plan to switch them over to raw feeding? 

solefald

solefald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

So a little more background about me. I was born and raised in Russia and when I was growing up we did not have a concept of "pet food". Pets ate human food and thrived, so I have 0 reservations about feeding raw. I know that it is the best and purest thing I can feed my pets. I am reading "Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs" by Lew Olson, and to my amazement, meals that he lists there are exact same meals that my mom fed our dogs 30 years ago.

Dre came from the breeder on Eukanuba kibble. I did not want to jump into raw right away and get into the routine first before becoming a "chef", so I went with Orijen Puppy in the interim. I do also feed him turkey necks, marrow bones, Stella & Chewy's beef patty here and there, carrots, apples, bananas, strawberries and my home made "dog ice cream" made of tuna, plain yogurt and parsley. I haven't found a single thing he does not eat yet, so this should be easy. 

The cat is more picky and except chicken, tuna and salmon he does not really like anything else. Wet food I get for him is pretty high quality, so I am more concerned with taking care of the dog's diet first. 

I am looking to switch ASAP, but I think i should get everything ready first and work out a solid plan for the first month. Basically I want to work out a menu and shopping list, get all required supplies and supplements first. (Scales, storage containers, Omega-3, fish/krill oil, etc... and maybe even a small freezer to put in the garage). I don't want to start and then have to feed a meal of kibble because it's Sunday night, everything is closed and I don't have something critical, causing an upset stomach. And I really want to make sure that the meals i feed him are sized appropriately. 

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
Your puppy and cat are adorable! There's just something about Vizslas that I love. Beautiful dogs.
  • GimMom likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Welcome!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. The only warning I would give you, would be to cut back on the tuna for your cat. Tuna is pretty high in mercury and recently my friend lost her cat to liver failure, which the vet suspected was from tuna.

If you can get him to eat other wet foods, that would be better than giving tuna :)

• GimMom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO