Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My Kitty Broke His Tail/hip :(

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Came home last night to my poor cat limping and holding his tail funny. Poor guy had defecated on a bed that we had placed on top of our portable washing machine. We don't know what happened -- no one was home.

We rushed him to the vet, and did a couple of x-rays. Turned out that he dislocated his hip and broke his tail :( The vet doesn't want to do surgery unless it's necessary. He is on metacam and some sort of opiate pain med. If he cannot pee/poop on his own, we will have to go for surgery. He hasn't peed/pooped since last night -- the vet emptied his bladder last night. Just waiting for him to go and checking the litter box obsessively.

I hope the poor guy won't need surgery :( He's isolated in my sister's room for rest at the moment. He's all doped up which makes me sad :(

Attached Files

• VinzentWet likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Poor sweet angel! From my experience cats recover very quickly from injuries.

Healing thoughts and positive energy are headed his way!!!

Keep us posted please!
  • GimMom likes this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Poor little guy!!  Prayers and thoughts coming your/his way for a speedy and full recovery WITHOUT surgery!!!

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
Poor kitty :(

I hope everything goes okay and he doesn't end up needing that surgery. I'll light a candle for him :)

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Please be careful when giving metacam to cats, many cat owners refuse to give it. It can result in renal failure. See if you can get tramadol instead for pain.

I hope your kitty feels better though, must have been a hard fall :(

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
Ouch :(

Hope he makes a quick recovery, and heals up without needing surgery!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Awww, poor little dude. I hope he gets better soon! I would be worried about him trying to jump up on counters and sofas and stuff as he gets to feeling better, but not totally healed. 

Good thoughts going your way!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Please be careful when giving metacam to cats, many cat owners refuse to give it. It can result in renal failure. See if you can get tramadol instead for pain.

I hope your kitty feels better though, must have been a hard fall :(

He's being given metacam as an anti-inflammatory. We were warned of the renal failure, which can occur if the cat is being given too much of it. The vet took him off it tonight because we had to bring him back. He is also on tramadol for the pain.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

He's back at the vet tonight :( He didn't pee/poop the entire 1.5 days since his visit. He is already jumping on/off furniture (he did it at the vet) and lifting his tail all the way up... but he doesn't seem to be remotely interested in peeing/pooping.

They took him in and catheterized him because we couldn't get him to expel his bladder when we tried adding pressuring using our hands (four people tried to). They're taking him off the metacam tonight and giving him some stuff to try to get him to want to pee.

If they can't figure out what's going on, and if he doesn't start peeing on his own, they want to refer us to a neurologist in case there is nerve damage :(

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!!! Keep us posted....

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

He's being given metacam as an anti-inflammatory. We were warned of the renal failure, which can occur if the cat is being given too much of it. The vet took him off it tonight because we had to bring him back. He is also on tramadol for the pain.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

He's back at the vet tonight :( He didn't pee/poop the entire 1.5 days since his visit. He is already jumping on/off furniture (he did it at the vet) and lifting his tail all the way up... but he doesn't seem to be remotely interested in peeing/pooping.

They took him in and catheterized him because we couldn't get him to expel his bladder when we tried adding pressuring using our hands (four people tried to). They're taking him off the metacam tonight and giving him some stuff to try to get him to want to pee.

If they can't figure out what's going on, and if he doesn't start peeing on his own, they want to refer us to a neurologist in case there is nerve damage :(

Please let us know!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Hi guys... so apparently Cha Cha had just decided to be an asshole LOL

So my sister went to visit him today and to speak to the vet. At first we were told it looks very serious -- Cha Cha had refused to pee/poop all night and he was refusing the food they were giving him. They said they would try to expel the bladder one more time while she was there. It was unsuccessful, and the vet said that we would be referred to a neurologist and that we would be rushed so that we could see him on Monday. By this time, my sister was really upset and they told her that she could spend some time with him but it wouldn't be until Monday so he would be boarded at the vet until then. When my sister sat down by his cage and petted him for a bit, he suddenly decided that he would go pee LOL. He filled HALF the litter box with his pee -- like, to a point where they had to bathe him because he was covered in pee. He then apparently looked at her like "can we go home now?" hahahaha

In all the years that our vet has practiced vetrinary medicine, apparently this is the first time he has seen a cat as "douchebaggy" (his words) LOL.

We brought him home and now he's off the tremadol, and will be on metcam for two more days. After that he is going to have "bed rest" for two more weeks and then he is free to do as he pleases. Oh, and he pooped about three days' worth of poop in his litter box shortly after he came home haha.

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

That is too weird. I wonder what could have caused this sudden release?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

That is too weird. I wonder what could have caused this sudden release?

I honestly think it could have been him being taken off the tremadol. The vet didn't think it should have had an effect, but honestly he was sooo high when he was on both the metcam and the tremadol, I think it's totally possible that he didn't want to go because of that. Either that, or it's the stress.

At any rate, we felt his bladder this morning and so far so good :)

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Any update since the last? Hope he's made a full recovery by now... xoxo

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Any update since the last? Hope he's made a full recovery by now... xoxo

Thanks for the concern!

Cha Cha is back to himself 100%. You would not have known that he had had an injury! The only thing that gives it off is that he has a very slight kink in his tail now, but it can only be felt if you are holding onto his tail.

He's back to being his douchebag self lol. He jumps on everything fine and has started pestering his brothers again :)

• Prey Model Raw and OwnedBySilly like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO