Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Do You Organize Your Freezers?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mavendark

mavendark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Just curious, how do you all organize your freezers to get the maximum usage of space out of it? :D

I have a 6.9 cu ft freezer and I found that as I'm putting in meats for storage (in freezer bags), they all freeze in odd shapes, and hence a lot of freezer space is wasted. Would love to hear how others do it!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I break down items into portions. Usually a "portion" for me is what fits in a "snack sized" ziplock bag. Some items (like quarters) take "sandwich sized" bags. I put the bagged items inside larger freezer bags (labeling if necessary). For organs, since I feed daily, I bag smaller sized portions that approximate 10% of a daily meal, and feed liver one day and "other" the next.

Having portions ready to go I can mix and match meals quickly, picking of a number of portions RMBs, fish, meat. etc to feed that day aiming for a balanced meal. Keeps it fast and easy, but does requires advance work. 

I mostly (but not always) feed frozen.

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have no organization. I wish I did, but I just don't. I use zip locks and just put them all in the freezer. Whatever I pull out, is what I pull out.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

No real organization here either. I do my best to make it fit, but I don't have a system.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I might be less organized if I had a whole cow and or deer to pack away  :D 

Bill

• naturalfeddogs and TRDmom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I might be less organized if I had a whole cow and or deer to pack away  :D 

Bill

That's a trade off I like!  :thumbsu:

• Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

That's a trade off I like!  :thumbsu:

Uh yea, I would too. A bit envious I must admit.

I did score two cases of nice pig ears today (fur on) and some lamb liver and kidney. So I'm happy (for the moment) to add to my stash.

Funny how much having bits on hand adds to feelings of happiness. I've never stashed food for me or my family, but parish the thought that the Vizsla doesn't have a couple months worth of meat packed away.

At least you all can relate :D

Bill
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Yea, our dogs have all this beef in their freezer, then we look in ours going "umm.........what's for supper?" lol! But the dogs have food, all is good!  :thumbsu:

• TRDmom likes this

WirehairedVizslalove

WirehairedVizslalove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I break down items into portions. Usually a "portion" for me is what fits in a "snack sized" ziplock bag. Some items (like quarters) take "sandwich sized" bags. I put the bagged items inside larger freezer bags (labeling if necessary). For organs, since I feed daily, I bag smaller sized portions that approximate 10% of a daily meal, and feed liver one day and "other" the next.

Having portions ready to go I can mix and match meals quickly, picking of a number of portions RMBs, fish, meat. etc to feed that day aiming for a balanced meal. Keeps it fast and easy, but does requires advance work. 

I mostly (but not always) feed frozen.

Bill

That is exactly how I organize my freezer!

• Spy Car likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO