Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hi From Rainy Washington!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

galaxy

galaxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi! Nice to meet everyone :) I've been looking into feeding raw for a while so I'm finally taking the plunge. I have two Shepherds: one purebred GSD, Kuma, who is almost 10mo and Natasha, a shepherd mix who is 12yo. We're really excited to start! I have fed them both raw tidbits and bones and they love them so I'm sure it'll be a welcome change for them.

My biggest concern is money. I'm a college student working very part time and my fiance works to support both of us so we don't have a lot, but I figure at least if I feed them one meal of raw a day it's better than nothing.

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and I've already learned a lot! I'm starting them on chicken quarters tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!

Attached Files

• Attached File  KN .jpg   121.05KB   0 downloads

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome to the group! Everybody here is super helpful, and you will get lots of insight and different ways to go about different situations. So there will always be support here. 

One way to cut down on cost, is to let your family, friends, co-workers and fellow students know you feed raw, and if they have, or know anyone who does have any extra, older, or even freezer burned meats they would otherwise throw out to let you know. That way you can get some free. Also, look for mark downs grocery stores. Sometimes, smaller "mom and pop" type stores will have really good prices even when they aren't on sale. 

Good luck, and let us know how things go!

galaxy

galaxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have a bunch of old beef from my sister already, and goat and lamb that we've had for a few years. I've been scouring craigslist for free roosters or other good deals. Thanks for the advice, I'll continue spreading the word and checking out stores for deals. Every little bit helps! 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Welcome! Raw feeding doesn't have to be expensive. Chicken quarters range .60-80 cents per pound (for 10 pound bags) in my area. I ordered 30 pounds of turkey necks for $25 from a local grocery store. I can get free deer (I got two whole deer this year). I met a guy through craigslist who gives me his beef "leftovers" (what isn't sold); I choose to pay him something, but its peanuts compared to the market price. I've also found an affordable source for live goats through a local raw feeders yahoo! mailing list--even with the price increase this year, its still worth the 6 hour round-trip drive. I also raise rabbits and ducks, primarily for the dog. I haven't sat down and calculated what I pay, but I'm pretty confident its less than feeding a grain-free dog kibble (and I can also provide a better variety). Orijen goes for about $80 for a 28.6 pound bag. Also, I feed my 55ish pound dog around one pound of food per day.

galaxy

galaxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks! I know a few hunters that come into the bar that I work at so I'll ask them if I can get any scraps from them :) I joined a co-op in my area too so I'm hoping I can get some good deals there. I was feeding Orijin to Kuma because that's the only food that would agree with him (other foods  tried make him itchy and have dry skin). I figured it's so expensive I might as well go raw!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO