Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Ontario, Canada

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Brand new to PMR!

I would like to introduce our two girls. Roxy is a 5 year old Czech Shepard with a high ball drive. Super sensitive lady. Sapphire is a 3 year old German Shepard who is the goofy dog but will cuddle with you all day long.

Both Roxy and Sapphire came to us this year at separate times from the same breeder. Roxy in February and Sapphire in Sepetember. Unfortunately, as time has gone on we have found out more and more information. Both ladies were bred every heat cycle and had litter after litter. Roxy suffers from chronic ear infections and inflammation from years of sitting in a kennel. There she did not receive treatment for her ears and they permanently have scare tissue. Roxy is now spayed. It took 6 months to put enough weight on her to finally get her fixed as she was roughly 45lbs and now 70lbs.

Sapphire's story has some twists we still don't understand. She is not yet spayed but we plan to as soon as she has the weight on. As the story goes, Sapphire was sold to another breeder. After her "usefulness" was up she was sent to the Humane Society and somehow the original breeder was called. She is not microchipped. The breeder took her back and rehomed her. She came back AGAIN and knowing we were looking for a second dog she called us. We were told she was up to date with shots but after giving us Sapphire she dropped off communication when asked for the proof of paperwork. We struggled for the first couple months with Sapphire and quickly learned there was something up with this dog. Very high strung, screams bloody murder on a leash, easily excited and can't stay focused for basic commands. We have often wondered if Sapphire has a learning disability or is it shear excitement? She does learn but not quickly. She has good days and bad days. One day you think she has it and the next it's like you never taught her anything. Roxy is a great role model for her and teaches her daily. Sapphire is always looking to Roxy for guidance. Over the few months we have had her she has improved greatly. Sweetest dog we have ever met just goofy.

We have not yet changed over to a raw diet but we plan to this week. From our research we believe it will benefit both of our ladies.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Welcome! Congrats on your new ladies. :)

Have you already read the "getting started" page for some general guidelines? Do you have any PMR questions? We're always ready to help. :)

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Yes I have read it and a few other articles I have found.

The ladies are fasting today and starting their raw diet tomorrow morning. I'm starting out with chicken. From what I have read start with chicken/turkey for the first 1-2 weeks. Then fish/pork for a 1-2 weeks, then beef/ other red meat 1-2 weeks, then include organ meats. 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat.  I noticed some articles have advised to introduce organ meats last and some day right away. We have decided to start right away with small amounts of chicken liver, with chicken quarters/ chicken thighs. We also purchased turkey drumsticks for later on in the week or next week.

Something we saw but did not buy were Salmon heads. Would these eventually be safe to feed later on down the road once the ladies are used to the raw fed diet?

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Not everyone feeds their dogs the same. My dog doesn't have interest in fish, so I don't offer it. People who do feed fish advise to avoid fish from the Pacific Northwest because of a nasty parasite.

As for organs, some feed small amounts early on and gradually build them up to the amount they ideally should get. Others wait and introduce them last. I would suggest trying to add them earlier on in small amounts. Your plan for starting sounds good. :)

I would advise to focus on meats you'll actually be feeding. Other than poultry, we feed beef, goat, deer and rabbit on a regular basis.

• Validus13 likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! And congrats on saving your "ladies" lives! 

It sounds like you have read up and are starting out on the right foot. If you go with any organs at all right now, go VERY slowly with tiny amounts. I personally never intro organs to new dogs/puppies for a month or so at least. But that's my preference and it has worked well for many years for me. 

I don't feed any fish. I just give fish oil supplements. The omega 3 oils are the whole point of feeding fish and I don't have access to quality oily fish. 

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm not so sure I want to feed fish due to some of the risks I have been reading about. I may stick to supplementing with fish oils instead. They were getting it in their kibble already.

Due to the inflammation of Roxy's ears and Sapphire's skin should I be using a supplement such as Turmeric to help?

Also curious about feeding eggs and would like some info on that.

Any other suggestions?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I'm not sure about the turmeric, I don't use it. I don't supplement at all with anything except fish oil capsules. I'm sure someone else will he able to help. 

Eggs are fine to feed a few times a week. But again, the benefit of eggs is generally geared toward the skin and coat, so, to get the benefits from them you will need to feed local, free range eggs. Commercial eggs, regardless of what packaging says isn't going to be true " free range". Because of that you will be lacking the omega 3's. The only way I will feed them is if they are non commercial. I crack them, and they lap them up out of a bowl like water. Some people feed the shells as well for a calcium supplement, but if you are feeding enough raw bone in the diet you don't need them. To feed them, you would need to use a blender or food processor to turn them into a powder. Otherwise, they don't digest very well. You will probably see whole pieces of shell come out the same way they went in.

• Validus13 likes this

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The ladies had their first raw meal this morning. Boneless skinless chicken thighs with a small amount of chicken liver. I gave them only a half a pound to start. They are going to have 1-2 chicken feet this afternoon as a snack.

Needless to say, the change over to raw is going to be rather easy with these two. They didn't blink an eye about eating raw and gobbled it right up. Then asked for more!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Sounds like they've got the idea! :)

I have to ask, how is the shedding with GSDs? I've been around the breed, but I haven't lived with one. We're in the process of considering what our next dog will be. I have to say that the shedding/hair is the biggest drawback of the breed for me. Our current dog sheds very little and requires almost no grooming, so I'm spoiled! ;)

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Our dogs shed twice a year. Spring and fall.

Sapphire (German Shepard) does not shed a lot. She doesn't have an undercoat.

Roxy (Czech Shepard) is brutal! She has an undercoat. We have to brush her and vacuum the house EVERYDAY when she is shedding.

At this time we send them both off to the groomers to get the works. That helps a little bit. We send them to the groomers 2 times while shedding.

It's so bad that once my work clothes (solid black as I manage a high end spa) are washed and dried i fold them and put them in a plastic bag and tie it shut. Then put them on just before going out the door and take a lint roller with me.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Wow! That is a lot of hair. :startle:

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I'm another who prefers adding small amounts of organs early. Dogs need the nutrients and it tends to avoid food aversions. My guy got organs from the get-go, never had issues, and now goes for organs first in his bowl (unless there is green tripe, when organs get eaten second). Just start with very small portions and work up.

The feeding guide advises for too much bone IMO. Chicken backs especially are too boney, unless compensated for with a lot of meat. Over consumption of bone causes its own problems. A little bone-heavy works to reduce the chances of loose stools, but the pendulum has swung way too far in the guide IMO.

Use your judgement. Chicken quarters have about 2.5 times the PRM ratio of bone. That is plenty.

Don't feed PNW Salmon or trout raw. But mackerel, sardines, anchovies are awesome. Think oily cold-water fish. I like feeling real food as opposed to fish oil. And oily fish is cheap in Los Angeles.

I also feed a fair amount of egg. If egg is a regular item, I cook them sunny-side up (loose yokes) so that the egg whites set. Raw egg white in to great a quantity bind dietary biotin. So I cook them in coconut oil and serve shells and all. I often add tumeric to the eggs.

All the best,

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO