Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Psa: A Great Non-Toxic Disinfectant

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Something I've used for decades as a non-toxic and food safe disinfectant (and one that is more powerful than bleach and nasty products like Lysol) is to spray roughly equal parts of hydrogen peroxide 3% and white vinegar from separate spray bottles.

The peroxide should be kept in the opaque brown bottle it is sold in (peroxide is light sensitive), but a standard spray top fits on a standard peroxide bottle. Vinegar can be kept in any spray bottle.

Nothing beats this combo for killing pathogens, So for raw feeders dealing with things like raw chicken juices this combo works really well on cutting boards, counters, and sinks. 

I'm not a germ-o-phobe, but knowing I can clean up after raw food prep without using toxic chemicals makes me happy. So I'm sharing this figuring we all have a similar need.

Bill

• naturalfeddogs and zeusthedapple like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Good to know! If I could only get over the vinegar smell...... That's one smell I just can't get used to. I wish I could, because vinegar is such a good cleaner.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Good to know! If I could only get over the vinegar smell...... That's one smell I just can't get used to. I wish I could, because vinegar is such a good cleaner.

Peroxide alone is a pretty powerful disinfectant. Not as good as in combination with vinegar, but still better than most toxic alternatives. And peroxide is odorless.

I'm bothered by the smell of bleach and Lysol, and other commercial disinfectants. 

You could try peroxide alone, if you need it.

Bill

• naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Thanks for sharing this! I use diluted vinegar for cleaning now. I was falling back on diluted bleach for really nasty jobs. I will have to get a larger bottle of peroxide!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thanks for sharing this! I use diluted vinegar for cleaning now. I was falling back on diluted bleach for really nasty jobs. I will have to get a larger bottle of peroxide!

Use straight (undiluted) white vinegar with the peroxide. The combo is more effective than bleach. And less nasty. 

Dollar stores generally carry bottles of hydrogen peroxide (cheap).

Bill

• TRDmom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO