Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Weight Issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Both of our German Shepherds are rescues. Roxy has gained weight and looks great. Got her spayed and she is holding her weight well.

Sapphire was putting weight on when on kibble and then dropped it out of no where. She is a high energy dog and only 3 years old. We want to get her spayed and had an appointment for her but had to cancel because she doesn't have enough weight on.

We switched them over to a raw fed diet starting this week. Yes, I'm being a bit impatient. They both love it and pooping normally if not a bit constipated. We are feeding them both as 70lb dogs getting 1lb of food twice a day. (Chicken quarter bone in, chicken hearts/ gisards, chicken liver, turkey meat)

Any tips for putting weight on Sapphire ASAP? We are very concerned about her weight and do not want her to lose any more. She is a small GSD and currently around 45-50lbs. She has been to the vet for her shots and dewormed. Bet have her a clean bill of health.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Red meats like pork and beef put more weight on. Considering you have just switched to raw, I would try some pork ribs. Fatty, but still a little less rich than beef. Feeding ribs, you will be getting bone as well, which can help with the adding of slightly richer red meat. Feed that for a couple of weeks, and you can then start adding some beef as well. I think you will start seeing some weight gain that way.

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I bought some pork hearts and told the hubby to not feed them yet. Well he did and they had no issues with them at all.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Sounds like they're doing good with the transition so far. :) One thing to keep in mind with a PMR diet is that they will be adding lean weight rather than "pudgy" weight. It might not be as noticeable that they're putting on weight at first, and they probably won't "round out" quite the same way as kibble-fed dogs. Regardless of diet, the dog should not appear boney or feel boney. You may notice the outline of a few ribs though (I'm going to try to add a picture of this). Also, I would consider upping the meat to 2 pounds per dog per day while trying to add weight.

ETA: I re-read your post. At first I thought you were feeding one pound total per day (broken into two meals) instead of one pound per meal.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

The picture is a bit dark, but if you look at middle of his torso you can see two faint ripples (his ribs). For his breed and size, he is a good weight.

Attached Files

Validus13

Validus13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you all good to know! They are getting 2lbs a day split into two meals a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO