Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Massachusetts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bry.langley

bry.langley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi my name is Bryan and me and my family are new parents to a Biewer Yorkshire Terrier puppy. Her name is Zoey. She was eating royal canin at the breeder and we put her on to instinct raw from petco. Then I started looking into true raw feeding. I have transitioned her on to chicken. She is 16 weeks old now. She has had some vomiting and loose stool but it seems to be sporadic. Possibly just transition to raw food? I've been feeding here chicken feet and crushed eggshells for calcium. Been following the 1:1:8 rule but her stools are dark in color. Should I up her bone intake? Her meals are so small due to her size, she's only 3 lbs currently, it seems like the amounts are so minuscule to do any good. I have a lot of learning to do on PMR, but I know it will be the best thing for her.

Thanks for putting this great site together, I'll be reading it all.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Welcome! With her being so little, you may want to look for Cornish hens (whole bird). Guinea pigs and rabbits are other options. I raise rabbits; while there is a learning curve (as with anything), its not too bad.

Chicken necks should be a good bone source for Zoey. Bone tends to be digested better than shells (though they can be fed). The chicken feet are also good to feed. You can pair the feet with something boneless, like breast. Once she is handling that well, you'll have other meats/cuts to try. :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you! Yes, in the beginning it is normal for some vomiting until their body learns to adjust to digesting bone. 

For such a small dog, Cornish hens and chicken necks are good, as are even frog legs and chicken feet for bone. The bone you are feeding provides enough needed calcium. You CAN give egg shells, but you would really need to put them through a blender or food processor for them to be digestable. Whole shells tend to come out the same way they went in. Whole bone is really the best source of calcium.

zeusthedapple

zeusthedapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Welcome! My boy is 6lbs and I'd say chicken feet, chicken neck, and cornish is your best bet for calcium! I give my boy a bone-in every day, maybe try that to help with the stool. I don't bother with egg shells, you shouldn't need them with what you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO