Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Feedlot Raised Animals

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

flukeas

flukeas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

whilst we try and feed organic, ethically raised animals, financially this isn't always a viable option. so when feeding feedlot raised animals do you supplement or feed in a different manner?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! I'm really not real familiar with the way feedlot animals are raised and fed, but I know I feed a good bit of commercially raised animals, and they tend to to be lacking in omega 3's, so I supplement fish oil for that. I would think a feedlot animal would be similar, and that you would need to add fish oil for omega 3. 

flukeas

flukeas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks naturalfeddogs. Is that all fedlot animals are deficent in? Omega 3? Thats easy enough to supplement :).
Thanks for our welcome, :) We are new to raw and we have been raw now 2 months, the change in our dog has been amazing def a raw convert!
  • TRDmom likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Grass fed only red meats naturally contain enough omega 3's, so if that's all you feed in the way of red meats, you don't need to supplement with fish oil. Most commercial raised meats are grain fed as well, so you need to supplement the omega 3. Feedlot animals are fine to feed, but they probably have been fed all grain, and kept in poor conditions. So I would add fish oil several times a week to supplement. I don't think you would need to add any other supplements.

flukeas

flukeas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Omega 3 depletes vit e? Do raw fed dogs need vit e supplements or does that come from meat?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

No, that's in meat. Some fish oils do contain it, so if you are going to feed feedlot meat, you give one that has it in it if you want. I don't know of anyone right off who specifically adds vit.E. I alternate with it, depending on which fish oil I am able to get each time. 

flukeas

flukeas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ah ok thanks :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

I should also say, vitamin E is in liver, so feeding liver regular will give you that.

flukeas

flukeas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
We do organ twice a week. Heart (i know its a muscel meat but easier to feed organs togther) liver and kidneys, more than enough for the 5% liver and 5% organ.
Ive been pretty lucky he took to it well and we had no cannon butt or ill effects.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts

Sounds like you are off to a good start!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO